CBC: Man charged with lighting flare during Whitecaps game

nolando

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So basically:

Go to the mountain with friends in fire hazard season.

Gather sticks and dry wood.

Make a big fire.

Take a picture of your big camp fire with the smoke billowing out. It's big and orange and hot.

When a guy in another park on another mountain is arrested for throwing a burning stick into a place where it could catch things on fire, defend campers rights to make camp fires. Even in fire hazard season.

Boast to the world about how cool you are for making them.

Tell the world about how cool big bright camp fires with lots of smoke look. Tell anyone who reminds you it's fire hazard season they don't know how much fun they are missing.

Go onto a boy scout board and make cool posts about how much you like big bright orange campfires with lots of billowing smoke.

Include links to videos and other images of big campfires with lots of smoke all over the world.

One man's horror; another man's chills.

At the games I went to in Greece the flares weren't thrown onto the field, kept largely in the supporters section as you're fenced in, was an open-air stadia so smoke didn't interfere with play, and there are no seats to set on fire in the Toumba Stadium supporters section. In this instance I didn't see a problem, not to mention the stadium felt like it got 10 times louder. It can get out of hand though, no arguments there.

I don't know what reaction this has gotten in the local media, but I feel like multiple issues are being conflated here.

The incident at hand involved:

-a lone, unorganized individual planting a flare amongst

-flammable seats and tarps in a

-completely unattended section, where it burned until it was dealt with.

It seems to me that this specific scenario should be unacceptable for anyone.

those 3 attributes are the problem. Alone they are a risk, combined its very dangerous.

But many of the positive examples raised involve situations where that is clearly not the case. It's held in the hands, with and around a large number of people who are paying a certain amount of attention to it.

It's not productive to compare the 2 issues directly.

A third problem is the stance of the BC place Owners towards, supporters, their behavior and their accessories, which includes the use of Pyro.

It should be noted that the use of flares at Saputo Stadium happened during the CCL game last Wednesday. Security did nothing to stop either the flare or the smoke bombs.

This is very different from league games, where they are quite strict on both, because at least to my understanding, it's MLS rules that prohibit their use.

I don't know what reaction this has gotten in the local media, but I feel like multiple issues are being conflated here.

The incident at hand involved:

-a lone, unorganized individual planting a flare amongst

-flammable seats and tarps in a

-completely unattended section, where it burned until it was dealt with.

It seems to me that this specific scenario should be unacceptable for anyone.

those 3 attributes are the problem. Alone they are a risk, combined its very dangerous.

But many of the positive examples raised involve situations where that is clearly not the case. It's held in the hands, with and around a large number of people who are paying a certain amount of attention to it.

It's not productive to compare the 2 issues directly.

A third problem is the stance of the BC place Owners towards, supporters, their behavior and their accessories, which includes the use of Pyro.

It should be noted that the use of flares at Saputo Stadium happened during the CCL game last Wednesday. Security did nothing to stop either the flare or the smoke bombs.

This is very different from league games, where they are quite strict on both, because at least to my understanding, it's MLS rules that prohibit their use.

MLS league game ..sold out stadia ( or close to it ) in supporters section, flares used, ( blue smoke ) upon goals scored.. and at least one other time. Security reaction, watch flare reach height of emission, begin walk into the area of flare...arrive in time to get the last bit of flare.. or to discover it completly disapated.

Pretty much a balanced and adult reaction.

Oh and for those who wonder... there were a few in arms or on shoulders of parents children in the section and they seemed delighted with the experience.

I occasionally see people bringing in flares, certainly saw a few during CSL games. Thankfully, almost nobody goes to those, so safety was a less of a concern. Not sure if these people fully took advantage of their teens and twenties that they need to light matches and living out the soccer hooligan fantasy. Always have a chuckle when someone is banned or arrested for bringing them in. Looks good on 'em.

Anyway YNWA is spot on, well said.

Of these in Favour of Pyro.

I don't believe that this is what they would suggest as creating an atmosphere.

http://www.edmontonsoccerfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=602&start=70

Obviously involved Millwall fans on holiday.

Based on an absolute sense of naivete, ignorance and woeful bliss, I will 100% guarentee that a flare will never be thrown on the field in Canada. I'm sure Grizzly will back this statement up! :)

Well, at the very least, we can say that any similar display would lead to large and definitive condemnation from everyone, as well as a justifiable penalty and/or ban.

Throwing any item, other than colored paper, on the field is instant grounds for discipline, pyro or not

Heck, some un-affiliated ******* who happened to be in the Impact Ultras section threw a bottle last year and they were subjected to that embarrassing fence for practically the rest of the season!

Of these in Favour of Pyro.

I don't believe that this is what they would suggest as creating an atmosphere.

http://www.edmontonsoccerfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=602&start=70

Obviously involved Millwall fans on holiday.

Pretty amusing that one player was rolling on the ground - but due to a body-on-body collision, rather than from any projectiles. :)

Heck, some un-affiliated ******* who happened to be in the Impact Ultras section threw a bottle last year and they were subjected to that embarrassing fence for practically the rest of the season!

It's those unaffiliated goofballs who pose the biggest threat though. It's all well and good to say that the supporters use flares in a controlled environment under safe conditions, but all it takes is one guy who's trying to fit in that doesn't understand supporters' culture and is trying to look "ultra" to do something stupid. It's just when flares are involved the stakes are higher.

Creating an environment that makes it seem like flares are okay to the casual observer can create problems. Especially when you combine that with alcohol.

I think that video clearly demonstrates that chairs should be banned from all football stadiums because they can be used as projectiles!

Oh ...well said sir!

Actually it does occur to me that the seats go in after the flares have been targeted and missed nearly every one of the opposition.

Kind of like Barry O'Blimey sending in a drone, with Hellfire missiles, to take out a Toyota Landcruiser full of drug barons. Then following up with a full Tactical Nuke strike.... Just to make sure.

• 1 year later...

As Igor Akinfeev has been struck by a flare in Montenegro, and the game as been suspended between Russia and the hosts, it only brings flares into question again.  I get that the people who light feel independently responsible for the atmosphere of the stadium, and feel that fun would likely not be had without lighting them, but it just seems ridiculous to me that they continue to be allowed.

Archived