FIFA executive member says giving the World Cup to Qatar was a blatant mistake

Alberto7

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What is not (might not have been noted) with regards to these dates is that they cut across the Christmas Period.

Irrespective of the English Obsession to Play across the Festive season, I wonder how many fans will be able to Justify the not insignificant cost of this trip so close to what is considered in most regions a family holiday time to be spent at home.

What is not (might not have been noted) with regards to these dates is that they cut across the Christmas Period.

Irrespective of the English Obsession to Play across the Festive season, I wonder how many fans will be able to Justify the not insignificant cost of this trip so close to what is considered in most regions a family holiday time to be spent at home.

The old Men of FIFA prefer to be away from home as much as possible and just think of special Xmas gifts they will reap from the hosts fine to bring home and place under the mountain in the care of domestic dragons.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

How is any of this different to the method in which previous World Cups were awarded in recent memory? FIFA has been corrupt for a long time. The way Qatar was awarded the World Cup was not anything new just business as usual.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From today's BBC Sportsday:

-----------------------------------------------------------

"

'Qatar won't host 2022' - Fifa ExCo member

Posted at

11:52

Fifa executive committee member Theo Zwanziger believes the 2022 World Cup will not be held in Qatar because of the possibility of legal action against world football's governing body if a spectator falls ill because of the heat.

"I personally think that in the end the 2022 World Cup will not take place in Qatar," the German told Sport Bild on Monday.

"Fans from around the world will be coming and traveling in this heat and the first life-threatening case will trigger an investigation by a state prosecutor.

"That is not something that Fifa Exco members want to answer for."

------------------------------

A diversionary tactic to avoid discussing the real reasons for the switch to avoid having to open the sealed investigation shaking its gory hoary locks? 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Nothing will happen. As usual.

I don't expect Qatar to lose the World Cup either.

These guys just don't give a fuck. If you really want to hurt them stop watching and attending the games. That's the only way they will learn. To be fair though, I'm predicting that the Qatar World Cup will be the worst attended ever.

• 2 years later...

OH SHIT http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/04/saudi-arabia-bahrain-and-egypt-cut-diplomatic-ties-with-qatar.html

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt and Bahrain are all cutting ties with Qatar and flat out accusing Qatar of funding the Muslim Brotherhood, Al-Qaeda and Islamic State. Their also pissed at them for supporting Iran, involvement in Yemen and meddling in everyone else's affairs.

other sites

https://www.rt.com/news/390863-bahrain-cuts-diplomatic-relations-qatar/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/middle_east/the-latest-saudi-arabia-cuts-diplomatic-ties-to-qatar/2017/06/04/c99376fe-499b-11e7-987c-42ab5745db2e_story.html

EDIT: Appears Yemen has too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-16 at 0:28 PM, Juan said:

Is it still too late to award it to Australia? 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_soccer_stadiums_in_Australia

They have 5 stadiums that have over 50,000 capacity and 4 more stadiums between 30,000 - 49,999. They were a close runner-up and if anyone can pull it off in a short period of time, it would be a civilized country like Australia.

I think China or India would get it ahead of Australia (bigger markets with more money and stadiums). Thing is I think the would reward it to an Arabic or Muslim nation to avoid so the Eremites, Iran and Indonesia all could be front-runners if they do pull it from Qatar.

Archived