3 Lisa De Vanna NJ 14 26

4 Lauren Holiday KC 13 24

5 Heather O'Reilly BOS 14 23

6 Sydney Leroux BOS 13 22

7 Lori Chalupny CHI 16 19

8 *Sophie Schmidt NJ 14 18

9 *Christine Sinclair POR 14 18

10 Christine Nairn SEA 17 17

If you look at the stats and the results by players, it seems as if Christine Sinclair is in a significant slump in terms of goal production and success rate for shots on goal this year.

Is this just because she is playing with Alex Morgan and is playing a differing role ?

If so why does she not have more assists or fouls committed against her ?

Or is it something else.. a half step slower and perhaps resting on her laurels as captain of the team ?

Now that Heath is with Portland, I think Sinclair's scoring opportunities will increase. She seemed to be doing too much while Parlow Cone had her in the midfield.

A number of Canadian players have really excelled in the NWSL. In particular LeBlanc has looked very good for Portland and her stop of Wambach's penalty kick two weeks ago was something else. Scott is turning a lot of heads too. There's a great article on her (http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/9499177/espnw-fc-kansas-city-midfielder-desiree-scott-scored-big-staying-canada) that discusses her progression as a player and why CIS ball was the right choice for her versus going south of the border for college. It's a good read if you have a moment.

Matheson is one of the few bright spots of a rather very poor Washington team. Chapman wasn't selected as an allocated player by Herdman, but she's done an impressive job on the backline for that squad while she's been healthy.

A couple of players have seen very little playing time: Moscato (especially now since she's been traded to Boston), Booth and McCarthy.

Wilkinson is now playing midfield rather than fullback due to the depth on Boston.

There have definitely been ups and downs. Good showing from her last night. She scored on a PK and was named player of the game.

It must be fascinating being on the backline infront of a GK like Hope Solo.

It's interesting to note that Kyle basically took Zurrer's starting job..in a position that's not natural to her. Zurrer has seen little to no playing time this season.

Some decisions will have to be made after the season is done in terms of allocation. Tancredi will return to fulltime soccer, while Filigno will likely be looking for a post-college pro job and it sounds like Quon will be FIFA-approved to play as a Canadian this fall. She'll likely get an allocated spot because she's been a rock on Chicago's back line.

Sorry, thought that she was playing RB from the reports. anyways, from what I'm seeing, she's doing it badly. She's not a CB, and it shows.

No worries. Anyways, she definitely looked a "work in progress" but, as Mango points out, she is playing there ahead of a regular NT CB in Zurrer, so you can read into that what you will.

Yes, that is the most interesting thing. Kaylyn has to work on her positioning. I do wonder what it means for the future at CB. Kyle isn't a starter for Canada, and with Canada weak at CB and none of the veteran CB's are playing regularly at their club. Moscato hasn't played a lot since moving to Boston and was benched in Chicago. We already mentionned what is going on with Zurrer and even outsider Candace Chapman hasn't played a lot recently. And Buchanan's only 17.

Yes, that is the most interesting thing. Kaylyn has to work on her positioning. I do wonder what it means for the future at CB. Kyle isn't a starter for Canada, and with Canada weak at CB and none of the veteran CB's are playing regularly at their club. Moscato hasn't played a lot since moving to Boston and was benched in Chicago. We already mentionned what is going on with Zurrer and even outsider Candace Chapman hasn't played a lot recently. And Buchanan's only 17.
Saw her in Toronto ... she was good but my sense was lots of other good players exist in the club structure playing in amateur leagues I see, which brings up the issue of scouting and Herdman, he has had the time to get out and see more players then it appears he is seeing, its always been a problem for MNT development, and its a problem on WNT side.

If we are going to field a competitive team in 2015 at home we need to finding more depth in the pyramid, its there it just has to be found and then put in the right environment to develop as professionals and internationals, lets hope the folks who control soccer get some more funding moving to players to play in leagues and pay the bills.

In that same match I posted Sesselmann was also at CB for KC.

It's nice to see Leon' s move to Chicago has resulted in her starting every match. It seems she has been moved to the midfield. Meanwhile Moscato and Wilkinson have been benched most of the time. Booth 11 min., McCarthy 15 min., Robinson 195 min are also watching from the sidelines along with Zurrer.

Gayle Started 10 matches and may be injured as she has been left off the score sheet recently.

Leon starting is the best news while McCarthy and Robinson not playing is the most disappointing for me.

All team stats:

http://www.nwslsoccer.com/Stats/index_E.html

Leon starting is the best news while McCarthy and Robinson not playing is the most disappointing for me.

I agree with you. It's also frustrating because when playing, Robinson's been a very effective player and has pretty decent chemistry with Wambach. Robinson came on as a late sub one game and scored a beautiful game winner/game tying goal (I can't remember which).

I agree with you. It's also frustrating because when playing, Robinson's been a very effective player and has pretty decent chemistry with Wambach. Robinson came on as a late sub one game and scored a beautiful game winner/game tying goal (I can't remember which).

It was a tying goal on June 5 with seconds left. It cancelled Boston's potential winning goal by the Liar from Surrey.

It was a tying goal on June 5 with seconds left. It cancelled Boston's potential winning goal by the Liar from Surrey.

I saw her live at the game vs the Thorns on July 14th. She came on in the second half with around 10 or 15 minutes and she was pretty impressive. She actually pounded on the rebound right after the PK save from KK on Wambach. She was unlucky to miss on that shot. Hopefully she will get more chances from Herdman.

• 3 weeks later...

http://equalizersoccer.com/2013/08/10/wny-flash-portland-thorns-tie-to-leave-nwsl-playoff-race-wide-open/

As for life without Morgan, Christine Sinclair — who also played with the Flash in 2011 in WPS — thought the Thorns did well.

“Obviously she’s a tremendous player and any team is going to miss a player like that. But I thought we adapted well. Losing Alex you lose tremendous pace in behind but I thought as a team we did a better job tonight of combining than we have pretty much all season. And I think that’s a result of that long ball not being sort of an option.”

Archived