Lucas Neill linked with MLS - it has to be TFC

BCM

Australia's captain Lucas Neill has recently been linked with a move to MLS, courtesy of national team coach Holger Osieck. It has to be TFC, which would have been fantastic 5 years ago. Unfortunately, Neill's pace is long gone and his career has pretty well spiraled downward since leaving Galatasaray in 2010. I love the spirit of Aussie players, but hopefully TFC give this one a miss.

The other thing I don't understand is why a 35 year old player who is essentially playing out his career in his home league would want to come to MLS.
Cause TFC will value him at 200K, its the Antipodean cost factor that drives his salary up.

He's not coming to TFC since they don't have enough international slots. TFC is looking at South America for players (Forlan and plus one young player).

EDIT: They're looking for attacking players not defenders. They got Caldwell and Henry who both are doing well while Morgan is starting to get his groove back. Neill would be waste of roster space for us. However, I can see TFC signing a cheap defender as a backup at most, but it will depend how much cap space they're using on their attacking players.

Wait, how many international slots do they need again? O'Dea is gone now. As for not looking for defenders, they are reportedly looking to improve at left back, but I'm not sure I'd want Neill in fullback position, with his pace at his age.

But respectfully, the international spots argument has been blown out of the water before...if a team wants a player, they get him and free up the international spots fairly easily.

Wait, how many international slots do they need again? O'Dea is gone now. As for not looking for defenders, they are reportedly looking to improve at left back, but I'm not sure I'd want Neill in fullback position, with his pace at his age.

But respectfully, the international spots argument has been blown out of the water before...if a team wants a player, they get him and free up the international spots fairly easily.

3-4 international slots which will be use on midfielders and strikers. One defender will most likely be a domestic player on the cheap (maybe a loan) as a back up. Henry-Caldwell partnership is doing well and our backline is solid now. Nelsen would be crazy to ruin chemistry of our backline up for washed up player.

TFC doesn't have much assets left to trade for international slots.

This move would be oh so TFC. This can't actually be true, we just shipped out overpaid O'Dea and this guy will surely command the same price. Caldwell is a rock in our defense and we have the opportunity to let Henry start alongside him the rest of this lost season.

3-4 international slots which will be use on midfielders and strikers. One defender will most likely be a domestic player on the cheap (maybe a loan) as a back up. Henry-Caldwell partnership is doing well and our backline is solid now. Nelsen would be crazy to ruin chemistry of our backline up for washed up player.

TFC doesn't have much assets left to trade for international slots.

I'm not arguing the fact that the move is a poor one. Agree with you on that. I think they are free now to add an international player right now if they so choose at this point though. But yeah, adding Lucas to the Henry/Caldwell partnership...no need. And adding a 35 year old to fill in at fullback (which Neill has experience in as well)...I don't think it improves the team.

Archived