Keven Aleman - Thank you

tmcmurph

How is it that he's eligible for Canada?

Any Player who refers to art. 5 par. 1 to assume a new nationality and who has not played international football in accordance with art. 5 par. 2 shall be eligible to play for the new representative team only if he fulfils one of the following conditions:

a ) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

He was born in San Jose: http://canadasoccer.com/?t=roster&pid=180

b ) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

They were born in San Jose: http://canadasoccer.com/?t=roster&pid=180

c ) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

Possibly, although he recently found out he's the grandson of Costa Rican international football player Asdrúbal “Yuba” Paniagua:  http://www.aldia.cr/futbol-costa-rica/herediano/Herediano-Torneo_de_Invierno_2014-Antonio_Pedroza-Keven_Aleman-Jafet_Soto_0_404959535.html

d ) He has lived continuously for at least five years after reaching the age of 18 on the territory of the relevant Association.

He's 20 and clearly hasn't lived in Canada for five years after the age of 18.

Edited by Lou

That specific rule about foreign-born players with no connection to the nation being in the nation five years after 18 was brought into prevent rich Middle East nations signing young promising African talent and playing for the national team. I just can't see it that FIFA would implement a rule like that to prevent nations procuring precocious talent from a poorer nation and then allowing the same young people to play in Canada for two years and become eligible for the national team.

I'm really intrigued by this.

Edited by Lou

That specific rule about foreign-born players with no connection to the nation being in the nation five years after 18 was brought into prevent rich Middle East nations signing young promising African talent and playing for the national team. I just can't see it that FIFA would implement a rule like that to prevent nations procuring precocious talent from a poorer nation and then allowing the same young people to play in Canada for two years and become eligible for the national team.I'm really intrigued by this.

MY understanding is FIFA doesn't allow movement of under 18s between countries (without passport eligibility) if they are moving solely for footballing purposes. Therefore Kevin clearly moved to Canada with his family for a better life, not just to join TFC's academy. And therefore having lived in Canada for more than two years, he's eligible for us.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Rumour of a move to Saprissa for 2½ years if I understood the Spanish. Somewhat of a strange move since he went to Belén to get more playing time. Does he have what it takes to break into the XI (or at least be a regular sub)? It would be really cool if we could see him play vs Pachuca in CCL.

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/futbol-costa-rica/Movimientos-Saprissa-ofertas-salidas-llegadas_0_1603839645.html

14 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Rumour of a move to Saprissa for 2½ years if I understood the Spanish. Somewhat of a strange move since he went to Belén to get more playing time. Does he have what it takes to break into the XI (or at least be a regular sub)? It would be really cool if we could see him play vs Pachuca in CCL.

http://www.nacion.com/deportes/futbol-costa-rica/Movimientos-Saprissa-ofertas-salidas-llegadas_0_1603839645.html

There is no rumour about it, they announce it as a signing. The Torneo de Verano starts in January and runs to April. 2 and  half years as you say, 5 half year torneos. I am rather surprised, I did not perceive he was so well rated.

Have read other news stories on the signing and a few say he is eligible for the CCL and was signed for it as well.

They are losing players to MLS and to Norway, which suggests that both of the latter pay better. Salary structure in CR must be rather modest if that is the case. Fans on forums I've read seem split down the middle, some ask why sign more mediocrity, others think he is deserving of more.

Wanchope is the technical director at Saprissa, also interesting to see.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

I mean the second time. Some say he left Herediano for good others say he was loaned again to Belen.

Listed as a loan, listed as a loan return on transfermarket. Herediano signed Medford and he changed formation and signed aging players. Aleman did get injured at Belen and was suspended for a game, struggled to get in the team after