CANADA vs Mexico 11July2013 GoldCup (R) 8pm PST

canadianfoot

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was a bit disappointing what happened with that family who bought tickets in the second row. Do we really need to put out an explanation with all future tickets sales to expect a capo / drumming / chanting / standing in a supporters' section? Argh...

Well she just lost her mind.

They bought tickets with a code, from a supporters site, for a designated supporters section. They felt entitled to the front for some reason.

We had seating in the accessible area for them, was going to get them to look after their kid there, give them some scarves and buy them a couple of beers for moving and have either one come down and lead something with Zach... well that was a total fail. You know... have fun? But no...

After she saw the section they left, mostly I think because she realized we were right. It was clearly not a place for a baby.

Security also agreed with us two minutes into the game. The lady who was arguing to put them back in their seats was like.. oh.. now I understand.

It's a shame, it was all so unnecessary.

It's tricky in these situations. Some people will want to be in their designated spot (as marked on their ticket), and some don't care. Inevitably some disagreements happen. I witnessed a threat of violence directed from a non-Southsider to a Southsider (all supposedly supporting the same club) at this very same stadium back in 2011. (Reason number 4,813 why the MLS era in Vancouver doesn't personally appeal to me.)

But obviously that wasn't the real issue here. Had they been willing to stand and chant from their second-row spot, all probably would have ended well. But they sat down - and even rudely dumped their baby stroller onto the single front-row seat in front of them - not to mention that the woman had a bouncing youngster on her knee, etc. It was clear that they expected a soccer-mom setting where all would be sitting and obedient.

How is this usually handled in Toronto during CanMNT matches? Are tickets sold where the capos/drums go, and then (if necessary) you kick out the occupants to make way? Or do you save those seats, knowing they'll be used for leading supporters? Perhaps we could save a block of 4-8 seats during future matches to prevent this from happening again.

I was a bit surprised that such obvious newbs scooped up such good seats.

Personally I blame smiddy for sneaking back to his isolated front-row seat after having earlier giving up it so nobly. I think he just wanted his beard on TV!

1043941_549626565099794_897319604_n.jpg

I missed this incident as i was re-hydrating at the time. But after hearing about it i'm still shocked because those seats were filled quite quickly after the code was released. I remember SoccerOnly was saying that some tickets were sold through Whitecaps presale for season ticket holders. Could that have been the source?

I think on future purchases we should press to make the tickets read general admission. That's how the Villa's Suporters section on the other end of the stadium was set up for this same game.

I think on future purchases we should press to make the tickets read general admission. That's how the Villa's Suporters section on the other end of the stadium was set up for this same game.

Agreed. Either make it GA or let's hold the spots we need to use for capos/drums/really pale guys taking off their tops and blinding people.

Edgar tells off a Mexican player who replies "Shut the f*ck up!" after at 1:45 of this video:

Good on Edgar! Probably still upset over being accused of tripping a player for that PK. Every time I see that horrifically bad dive it just gets worse and worse.

Edit - actually it looks like he was telling off the Refs, can't make out quite what he's saying.

I missed this incident as i was re-hydrating at the time. But after hearing about it i'm still shocked because those seats were filled quite quickly after the code was released. I remember SoccerOnly was saying that some tickets were sold through Whitecaps presale for season ticket holders. Could that have been the source?

I'm still not sure about this "presale". I am a Whitecaps season ticket holder and I don't remember getting any code to our section from them, and I haven't been able to find it in my e-mail when I've looked.

How is this usually handled in Toronto during CanMNT matches? Are tickets sold where the capos/drums go, and then (if necessary) you kick out the occupants to make way? Or do you save those seats, knowing they'll be used for leading supporters? Perhaps we could save a block of 4-8 seats during future matches to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Socceronly has much more control in Toronto than he did for this Gold Cup game, from what I've gathered. It obviously helps that BMO Field is a CSA venue, and that the V's get 10-15% of the stadium to sell.

In that scenario, the V's sections are divided into (forgive me if I get the terms wrong) 'hardcore', 'standing' (less hardcore but not family), and 'family' sections. There are still people that end up in the wrong areas, but it's less frequent with each passing match.

Edgar tells off a Mexican player who replies "Shut the f*ck up!" after at 1:45 of this video:

Good on Edgar! Probably still upset over being accused of tripping a player for that PK. Every time I see that horrifically bad dive it just gets worse and worse.

Edit - actually it looks like he was telling off the Refs, can't make out quite what he's saying.

That's great! It's nice to see our lads aren't taking this cheating lightly and are showing some heart! You're right, the dive looks worse and worse every time I see it, how this player and corrupt ref aren't suspended is beyond me! Oh yes, this is CONCACAF!

At the risk of being hypocritical, I hope the Mexicans are diving around in the box and score on 3 PK's after our 1-0 win over Panama!

I think on future purchases we should press to make the tickets read general admission.

You mean it wasn't? I never even saw where "my" seat was. :) Oh, I guess when you volunteer to be drummer things are different.

How is this usually handled in Toronto during CanMNT matches? Are tickets sold where the capos/drums go, and then (if necessary) you kick out the occupants to make way? Or do you save those seats, knowing they'll be used for leading supporters? Perhaps we could save a block of 4-8 seats during future matches to prevent this from happening again.

In TO, and now Edmonton, we distribute the tickets.

As I get to know more and more people, I put them in the 'right' places. This can be difficult to track as the numbers are very high and hard to remember, but you can look back through previous email purchases and get a sense of section and who they are.

No first time buyers will get near the front of 112, 113 or 114.

This exact same thing happened when we put the purchase buttons directly on the RPB site for one game. Wiped out a whole game.

Then I said we would create a secret noc list, which pissed a whole bunch people off.

Now we have a secret noc list. It's just in my head.

One thing that can't be overstated here is the incredible amount of trust and leeway we get to do this from the CSA and TM.

I'm still not sure about this "presale". I am a Whitecaps season ticket holder and I don't remember getting any code to our section from them, and I haven't been able to find it in my e-mail when I've looked.

Odd. I was looking around the stadium and really didn't see any evidence of it.

People I ran into that were not from our group all were local, bought tickets via Mariners or directly from TM.

Not a single person I talked to bought through any Whitecaps pre sale.

Must have been a mistake from the CONCACAF person.

The only way you could get tickets in our section was to use the code from our site.

Now that could be tweeted, emailed copied to who knows where. There is always the danger of that.

When you mention the Villa game, do you mean in this same stadium? They set up a GA section here?

Archived