CANADA vs Mexico 11July2013 GoldCup (R) 8pm PST

canadianfoot

I suspect Floro will find that performance much more encouraging - when we got the ball this time we weren't trying to knock the ball 40 yards hopefully (bar one or two exceptions just prior to Aleman coming on) but actually tried to play football with it. We are lacking a striker who can make a difference (although with Cavallini we might have one and that's not to slight Haber who played well & I'm not sure why he was subbed off). If the goal for this tourney that nobody (not even the CSA) is taking very seriously was to get some younger players blooded in & play well in the process, tonight's game can be considered a success. I want to beat Panama though even if we still finish last in the process. And f#@K I wish that DeJong shot had just been an inch lower!

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He should have been starting last game as well. It just shows how out of depth Miller and co is when comes to coaching national team.

Agreed, the way we organized ourself last time out was beyond stupid. We should have put Will Johnson next to JDG, Osorio on the right side of the three, Bekker in the hole, etc... Thinking we are going to ever score a goal with the lineup we fielded in game one is a fantasy.

4-2-3-1 is nice formation for Canada, but once Ricketts came in and Haber went out, we should have subbed in another forward and played 4-4-2. Ricketts isn't a target man who can hold up the ball by himself. This is what hurt Canada the most in 2nd half (heck lack of chances compare to first half).

Agreed, the way we organized ourself last time out was beyond stupid. We should have put Will Johnson next to JDG, Osorio on the right side of the three, Bekker in the hole, etc... Thinking we are going to ever score a goal with the lineup we fielded in game one is a fantasy.

I am surprised how well Bekker played in this game. I wonder if Nelsen will give Bekker another chance after this game.

4-2-3-1 is nice formation for Canada, but once Ricketts came in and Haber went out, we should have subbed in another forward and played 4-4-2. Ricketts isn't a target man who can hold up the ball by himself. This is what hurt Canada the most in 2nd half (heck lack of chances compare to first half).

For who? Haber got injured.

I am surprised how well Bekker played in this game. I wonder if Nelsen will give Bekker another chance after this game.

The problem with TFC is that Nelsen refuses to play an out-and-out AM. Anyone who plays in the middle of the park has to put in extra work defending and at most has to play box-to-box. Bekker hasn't had the defensive intensity so I understand he's not good for the box-to-box role, but I don't understand why they can't find a way to get him on the field and become useful.

I'm not all that sold on Bekker, but for a lightweight TFC squad, you'd think there would be something there where he can contribute more than he has.

I was actually pleasantly surprised tonight. With the starting XI we trotted out, I was expecting much worse. We stayed in it and made it a game against Mexico. Not much we could do on either goal, and the second one was an iffy penalty at best. The Sportsnet announcer (I'm guessing Dobson) mentioned that the ref for tonight's game has called penalties against Canada in the last three games he's officiated with us in them. Clearly, its not difficult for CONCACAF refs to make calls against us...

Borjan and De Jong played solid games. Bekker, Osorio, de Guzman, Haber, and Nakajima-Farran all played surprisingly well. And good to see Aleman finally cap-tied.

The only frustrating aspect after watching a game like this is the fact that we always seem to play to the level of our opponents. We played a decent bunker + possession counter attack game which resulted in us looking solid. We tend to play a similar style against the US and, more often than not, get results. So why do we always resort to long-balls against weaker countries? I think we have players who are capable of playing a patient counter-attacking game against any opponent. If we approach minnows in a similar manner to which we approached Mexico tonight, we'd come out looking good for the most part. Luckily, I see a coach like Floro heading in that direction.

And, we are still in desperate need for an attacker who can find the net. When we had the ball tonight, we did a decent job of building plays up the pitch, but the only attacker who looked anything like a striker was Haber.

And Piette? Lets hope 3-4 more national caps and he gets "soccer smart"

Two starts should be experience enough. I think that Bekker and Osorio showed enough tonight to reshuffle the lineup so that he is on the bench vs. Panama.

The problem with TFC is that Nelsen refuses to play an out-and-out AM. Anyone who plays in the middle of the park has to put in extra work defending and at most has to play box-to-box. Bekker hasn't had the defensive intensity so I understand he's not good for the box-to-box role, but I don't understand why they can't find a way to get him on the field and become useful.

I'm not all that sold on Bekker, but for a lightweight TFC squad, you'd think there would be something there where he can contribute more than he has.

You're right (Silva face similar criticism as well), but I am sure Nelsen being too conservative defensively is the reason why Bekker doesn't get any playing time at all.

Two starts should be experience enough. I think that Bekker and Osorio showed enough tonight to reshuffle the lineup so that he is on the bench vs. Panama.

Except Osorio 21/ Bekker 22 and Piette is 18 Huge difference when u think say2-3yrs make in a player development make.

Much better than the first match and considering the lineup out there it was a decent match! It's too bad Haber had to come off because Ricketts up front on his own is not the answer and it's a shame yet predictable that CONCACAF crap officiating hits us again! Individually I was pleased with Bekker and Osorio, I thought JDG had a real tidy match and the backline held up fairly well! Piette was much better tonight after a bit of a nightmare in his last match!

Except Osorio 21/ Bekker 22 and Piette is 18 Huge difference when u think say2-3yrs make in a player development make.

It's not like Osorio and Bekker have been here before. Anything extra is going to be bonus, also I think we can expect Osorio and Bekker to be closer to playing a meaningful match in the future against Panama than Piette (hopefully). I like Sammy and he's going to be a good player for us in the future but he's very raw. He can still be coached by Floro on the U23 team that will compete in 2015 and 2016 and presumably in the lead up, he's had some good minutes of experience here time to let someone else get a shot.

Wow great thrilling entertainment from the boys in red wow such attacking poise and creativity

loooololahahahhhahahahahahahah a**** you ****ing faggots **** you

1. Neither team was wearing red.

2. "Faggots"?? Really? Lay off the homphobic slurs, FFS.

Did anyone catch the Ledgerwood post match interview? He was quite bitter and stated that "it's typical we're always down a man because of the CONCACAF refs", I wonder if he'll get a Sinclair like suspension because the comments were very critical? I tend to agree with him btw!

I only saw stretches of this match (perhaps 2/3 of the game) and in the first half of I saw Bekker play a nice through ball to Nakajima-Farran and some good interplay passing, but I also saw him get beaten out for quickness on a number of occasions here this evening. As much as I like some of the skills he shows, his strength and quickness need to be better.

As seems typical for us, we punched above our weight when the bar of expectations was low (think of the match against Mexico at Commonwealth in 2008, and not unlike the game we played against the States this past January after).

I just finished watching on the PVR. I don't know guys, I certainly didn't hate the game. I feel a lot better about going to Denver, the guys actually tried to play a little more technically. Sort of our B team against the Mexico C team, realistically.

Seriously, when is someone going to be a complete cheeseball and come out with saying "Bend it like Bekker"? The kid is completely fantastic from a set piece point of view putting balls in the box. I'm amazed every time I watch him play at how skilled he is with a dead ball. Other than that, I mean sure he has some work to do, but if the game was a series of set pieces like American football, Bekker would be a bloody MVP.

They were mentioning at the end of the game that Bekker got subbed for Aleman, and De Jong took that cracker off the crossbar. But I'm not sure Bekker's is at his piece actually going onto goal...his balls are lofty (Yes I said it, now troll it), not powerful, which Haber almost was able to thank him for early on.

I'm much less angry at Miller today as well. Heat of the moment. Still glad we have Floro...but I've cooled off on the hate Miller brigade a bit. Boy was I pissed the other day at him though.

Technically Bekker is great, the fact that he can use both feet is just the perfect compliment to that game and is the reason he was drafted 3rd overall. Potential. That's what he has right now, he needs to develop areas of his game to be a true pro and MNT player. If he can he'll be great for us.

Many of these players won a gold medal last summer but this Mexico team was ****e from their perspective. I saw some passing from them that I wouldn't even expect from Canada at times. Kind of a Canada C vs. Mexico C match.

Technically Bekker is great, the fact that he can use both feet is just the perfect compliment to that game and is the reason he was drafted 3rd overall. Potential. That's what he has right now, he needs to develop areas of his game to be a true pro and MNT player. If he can he'll be great for us.

Many of these players won a gold medal last summer but this Mexico team was ****e from their perspective. I saw some passing from them that I wouldn't even expect from Canada at times. Kind of a Canada C vs. Mexico C match.

I've said it before man, if Bekker puts in the kinds of offseasons Teibert did, he'll definitely be somewhere. Teibert is an athlete through and through though, he always was a workhouse.

Teibert is the type of player that makes me feel good for Canada, type of guy a good striker can't wait to play with, and a good defensive midfielder loves playing balls forward to. Bekker is more of a linkup player, one of the main things I'd like to see him work on is his ability to move into good positions when he doesn't have the ball. Decent vision though.

Once again, I am absolutely gutted. Not because of the way we played necessarily but because for the umpteenth time a match has been decided or influenced by a corrupt and biased official. How do you advance as a soccer nation when the context within which you must labour and achieve is so stacked against you? How long can such blatant corruption go on (probably a stupid question) with out change? It blows my mind just how much we have been held back over the last 15 or so years by the likes of Benito Archundia or Joel Aguilar. Think about how many results could have gone our way if it was not for these corrupt, incompetent or generally biased pieces of ****!

The only thing worse than watching Joel Aguilar #@$%ing our team over once more is the garbage reactions or lack there of from Fox soccer report and Co. It staggers me how the media in this country can be some complacent on this issue. Its like every single soccer reporter in Canada and the USA know what is being done to us but they are scared to bring it up. Thank god Miller and Ledgerwood had the balls to say something post game.

The CSA and the serious soccer media in this country need to start speaking up and fundamentally criticizing the "mainstream" media. Instead of good intelligent match analysis after the Martinique game all we get is those bloody simpletons on FOX Soccer or Soccer Central repeatedly saying how Canada "lost to a team that is not even a country". Is this really the best we can do after more than a century of organized soccer in Canada?

I have said it once and ill say it again, no true soccer revolution in this nation will ever happen unless we also get one in the quality of media coverage too.

Anyone at Canadian Soccer News, I for one would love to see you take the majority of the mainstream soccer media's extremely low quality coverage in this country to task. Its time for us to demand a serious improvement. If you have it in you, I would also love to see you guys advocating for equal refereeing for the mens national team.

How much more can we take? How much longer can we not say something in a major way?

We have so far to go in developing, yes, but if we do not defend ourselves at home or in CONCACAF, who will?

Why would the Fox Soccer commentators say anything?

They may have Canadian ties that got them into the position they're at but they're sell outs, just like how they had Jonathan De Guzman on the show on CANADA DAY. Complaining about the call would lead to a further discussion into Canada and we couldn't have that could we?

Archived