Today's Game

Although Canada did not play well today and did not deserve much out of this game, Colin Miller should be taking a lot of blame himself. Midway through the second half, you saw the players tiring out. The players were tired - especially under that hot sun fatigue was definitely a factor. What is he waiting for to make his subs? He did not even use all his his substitutions! He brought on Osorio too late and not making those subs earlier at proper times costed us.

On a side note why did will johnson come off at the 53rd, was he injured? Because if not, that was a bad switch.... since piette should be the one coming off.

Although Canada did not play well today and did not deserve much out of this game, Colin Miller should be taking a lot of blame himself. Midway through the second half, you saw the players tiring out. The players were tired - especially under that hot sun fatigue was definitely a factor. What is he waiting for to make his subs? He did not even use all his his substitutions! He brought on Osorio too late and not making those subs earlier at proper times costed us.

On a side note why did will johnson come off at the 53rd, was he injured? Because if not, that was a bad switch.... since piette should be the one coming off.

He actually subbed off at the half, and never should have started, he was sick as a dog the night before, but decided to go, and was basically useless in the first half.

The fact that Canada finished this game with an unused substitution is inexplicable.

The fact that Aleman didn't enter the game -- especially considering he's the sort of attacking spark that could have been useful in a tepid midfield -- is outright inexcusable.

What the hell was Miller thinking?!?!

As someone suggested on Twitter, maybe Aleman will suddenly have "muscle tightness" and declare himself unfit for the next two games.

The fact that Canada finished this game with an unused substitution is inexplicable.

The fact that Aleman didn't enter the game -- especially considering he's the sort of attacking spark that could have been useful in a tepid midfield -- is outright inexcusable.

What the hell was Miller thinking?!?!

As someone suggested on Twitter, maybe Aleman will suddenly have "muscle tightness" and declare himself unfit for the next two games.

A-men, brother. And late sub's at that. Give a guy a chance to get into the match would yeah?

Stab me in the eye with a lit cigarette.

**clap-clap**

just stab me in the eye with a lit cigarette.

**clap-clap**

stab me in the eye

stab me in the eye

stab me in the eye with a lit cigarette.

**clap-clap**

kick me in the nuts with steel toed boots...

Didn't watch the game, but read through some of the game thread.

It is easy to blame Miller for this. I saw the starting 11 and there are many question marks for sure, so it is fair to be critical of him for this. Osorio came on late and Pacheco didn't feature? Again, we are right to question what Miller is thinking here. We can say that his selection of players was strange but it sounds like the players selected never preformed which is the larger issue here.

Regardless of who is selected to start, those chosen need to be accountable for this result. Miller never lost out there tonight the players did. If they panicked under pressure and hoofed the ball up to Haber as a last resort, that is not something Miller can fix. I doubt Miller instructed them to play like this. I just read a goal article with him saying we need to keep possession of the ball and make better decisions when we have it. He is saying the right things but he cannot go out there an execute, that is the job of the players.

Interesting that some people who watch FC Edmonton are suggesting that his style of play is hoofball. Ironically enough, when I had the chance to play a Colin miller coached team at a club national tournament (a decade ago now), that team played anything but hoofball. They moved the ball around efficiently and never hopelessly launched the ball to a target. Considering his post game remarks and my own (albeit extremely limited) personal experience, I doubt Miller intended for the team to play in the way they did.

I am not saying Colin Miller deserves to coach at this level, all I am saying is that the players are ultimately responsible for the poor performance.

I think the positives out of the match is that we have learned something about certain players and how a philosophy of a coach can effect the game.

Miller has a tone of blame at his feet. The starting lineup had players fielded over players that play at a higher level. The very fact that Ricketts is starting is mind boggling when you have Edwini Bonsu, Issey, Aleman, Osorio and Jackson on the bench. Especially, when the defense tactic from Martinique was to clog the middle and send it to the wings. There's two ways to beat that system 1) have great wingers that make the opposition pay for that decision or 2) have an attacking midfielder that can break up the clog. Jackson sub did well but when you think about it, we have more midfielders than forwards. We should have had proper wingers and Jackson at forward because Marcus Haber is not good enough. IF you're going to play Haber, play him in a 4-4-2.

Now I've watched 5 games of Colin Miller's FCE. I always thought it was a lack of quality that made him coach with that style because Cox was there only forward. I'm convinced that he has one way of playing and his selections are based on personal level trust rather than meritocracy. I can find no other reason why Simon Thomas is on this team over Roberto Stillo. Absolutely none.

As for the players:

- De Guzman is finished internationally. His knee injuries took away his offensive game to turn quickly an accelerate forward. That's why he keep passing backwards. It's not the move of a responsible DM. It's the move of someone unable to deliver a counter attack.

- Marcus Haber has nothing to offer except as a Justin Braun type target man. Lots of effort and athleticism but won't deliver any goals and will rely on the midfield to do that.

- Ricketts. Maybe one of the worst technical players I've ever seen dawn the jersey. He's the fastest moving pylon I've ever seen.

- De Jong had an absolutely atrocious game. He got beat plenty and didn't shut down a single cross. He maybe better suited to the wing.

- Tiebert's game is perfect internationally. Loved his effort and he is our star, however depressing that is.

- Jackson was good as a winger but I'd like to see him as a forward on this team.

- Will Johnson gets a pass in my books as he looked out of sorts and that could be from the illness

- Borjan was good.

- Ledgerwood was decent.

The fantastic news are there are better players in our pool not in the squad, the formation/tactics/selection didn't come close to utilizing our players to the best of their abilities, and we have a coach on the horizon that will rectify both situations.

Didn't watch the game, but read through some of the game thread.

It is easy to blame Miller for this. I saw the starting 11 and there are many question marks for sure, so it is fair to be critical of him for this. Osorio came on late and Pacheco didn't feature? Again, we are right to question what Miller is thinking here. We can say that his selection of players was strange but it sounds like the players selected never preformed which is the larger issue here.

Regardless of who is selected to start, those chosen need to be accountable for this result. Miller never lost out there tonight the players did. If they panicked under pressure and hoofed the ball up to Haber as a last resort, that is not something Miller can fix. I doubt Miller instructed them to play like this. I just read a goal article with him saying we need to keep possession of the ball and make better decisions when we have it. He is saying the right things but he cannot go out there an execute, that is the job of the players.

Interesting that some people who watch FC Edmonton are suggesting that his style of play is hoofball. Ironically enough, when I had the chance to play a Colin miller coached team at a club national tournament (a decade ago now), that team played anything but hoofball. They moved the ball around efficiently and never hopelessly launched the ball to a target. Considering his post game remarks and my own (albeit extremely limited) personal experience, I doubt Miller intended for the team to play in the way they did.

I am not saying Colin Miller deserves to coach at this level, all I am saying is that the players are ultimately responsible for the poor performance.

I disagree with a lot of this. IMO Miller set the players up to fail. If Miller didn't want the players playing so many long balls, why select that starting 11 and then not change the personnel on the pitch? Only making one substitution before the 86th minute (and that was enforced bc of illness), and not using your last substitution means either Miller was fine with the way the players were playing or he has no idea how to manage in-game play. Either way, it is disgraceful.

Of course the players on the pitch need to be held responsible for their poor play, but if they aren't performing, Miller's job is to actually change something and he let the side down by not doing so.

Miller's player selections were poor, his tactics were poor, and his in-game management was non-existent.

I preached this after Hart quit. Until a full time head coach/manager is in charge there is no point playing fruitless friendlies and having high expectations. A change will only come from an experienced full time non Canadian Manager that is competent enough to understand what he has to work with and the direction he will take this country. Canada is broken at this time but the rebuild has already started with the signing of our new Spanish Manager (Benito Floro). I just hope he understands what he is up against and that CONCACAF is a lot different than UEFA and other federations.

Lets just get through these next couple of weeks. August 1st is when Canada really starts the rebuilding process.

I don't know what to say about all of this. I have been following the MNT since before the 1986 World Cup and have seen highs and lows of all kinds but the last year has made it very difficult to be a fan of this team. My first thought after hearing the score of yesterday's game was : Thank God Floro has been hired. We need someone who will change things around drastically.

I fear we have to face a cruel reality: As a soccer nation, we are just plain bad and are not up to competing in a World Cup at this time. It is very sad that we are playing such an inexperienced team at our continental championship. I cringe when I think that we still have to face Panama and Mexico. With the dissension on the team and poor quality of play, just how bad will these games be?

Now the positives: Floro will be great at identifying talent and nurturing it. He will also get rid of some of the dead wood. This will take a great deal of time but I am optimistic for the next WC qualifying cycle. In the meantime we will have to grit our teeth and ride the next two games(I am under no illusions that we will get any type of result. I would be very happy if we managed to score a goal!).

I don't know what to say about all of this. I have been following the MNT since before the 1986 World Cup and have seen highs and lows of all kinds but the last year has made it very difficult to be a fan of this team. My first thought after hearing the score of yesterday's game was : Thank God Floro has been hired. We need someone who will change things around drastically.

I fear we have to face a cruel reality: As a soccer nation, we are just plain bad and are not up to competing in a World Cup at this time. It is very sad that we are playing such an inexperienced team at our continental championship. I cringe when I think that we still have to face Panama and Mexico. With the dissension on the team and poor quality of play, just how bad will these games be?

Now the positives: Floro will be great at identifying talent and nurturing it. He will also get rid of some of the dead wood. This will take a great deal of time but I am optimistic for the next WC qualifying cycle. In the meantime we will have to grit our teeth and ride the next two games(I am under no illusions that we will get any type of result. I would be very happy if we managed to score a goal!).

Agreed.

One the craziest bits that is dawning on me is that we basically have this lost generation between the ages of 22 and 29. There are very few players in that range that are doing anything. This program is essentially being rebuilt with the U17 team from 2 years ago as the starting point.

- Ricketts. Maybe one of the worst technical players I've ever seen dawn the jersey. He's the fastest moving pylon I've ever seen.

EXACTLY how I described him to a co-worker today. Sad to say the kid had his moment in the sun against Peru (a great moment) unless he can get onto a team, start regularly, and improve his touch immensely. Beyond me how he gets the call, let alone starts. Passionate as hell, but if passion is all you needed to get the call, Miller would be on here asking for all of our numbers.

EXACTLY how I described him to a co-worker today. Sad to say the kid had his moment in the sun against Peru (a great moment) unless he can get onto a team, start regularly, and improve his touch immensely. Beyond me how he gets the call, let alone starts. Passionate as hell, but if passion is all you needed to get the call, Miller would be on here asking for all of our numbers.

Actually, it was Ecuador.

I never understood how he got more and more time. No offense to the player, but there are better players than Tosaint Ricketts on that team. Speed isn't everything.

Actually, it was Ecuador.

I never understood how he got more and more time. No offense to the player, but there are better players than Tosaint Ricketts on that team. Speed isn't everything.

Don't know why I said Peru, I was at that game and we got blanked. He gets playing time the same way Dunfield and Ledgerwood (although he hasn't played too bad lately), they are 110% hustle and passion and that was enough for the CMNT to overlook the obvious lack of technical ability.

We are really, really bad at this sport.

We have very good players, but really bad managers. We won Gold Cup once and we can win again, maybe even next one. In 2000 we didn't have better players than we do now, but the difference was made by coaching staff. In Benito Floro I trust (lol).

We have very good players, but really bad managers. We won Gold Cup once and we can win again, maybe even next one. In 2000 we didn't have better players than we do now, but the difference was made by coaching staff. In Benito Floro I trust (lol).

This was a rallying cry, back when the CSA's ineptitude gave us hope. There was this feeling that we had good players and great potential, but poor managerial hirings, lack of friendlies, second-class air tickets, and a wealth of other excuses which held our players back.

The truth is we don't have good footballers. We have a few decent athletes, no super athletes and only one or two players who can pass. Floro's job will be taking poor players and making them tough to break down - Holger style. While I'm looking forward to seeing this, we have a very long way to go before we can say we have "very good players" and truly mean it. I don't expect it in my lifetime.

Archived