Gold Cup Starting XI and Formations...

madmonte

---------------------Haber-------------------

------Teibert---Bekker--Johnson---Jackson------

------------------de Guzman---------------

De Jong-------Attakora--------Edgar------Ledgerwood

--------------------Borjan--------------------

I think many of us just want to see him cap-tied, myself included. I think that's why so many of us have him playing instead of, say, someone like Piette who is also not deserving of starting right now, but arguably should be ahead of Aleman. Knowing Canada, we'll probably play Aleman vs. Martinique and he'll get injured, thereby leaving him not cap-tied.

If Aleman plays vs Martinique he WILL be cap-tied. This has been confirmed by several journalists.

Judging by these player selections, it doesn't look like any of you share the same enthusiasm that Fonseca/Miller have shown for Bekker as a starter.

However, I sense he'll be in the starting XI tomorrow.

I've said before there are parts I like of Bekker's game (his pinpoint balls, his free kicks), but there are parts he can work on. He's not on the level of say, Teibert or Johnson yet, but I believe with work he can get there. But I am still high on his game.

Aleman has a lot to work on too, namely not trying to take on the entire pitch by himself. You combine him and Bekker you'd have a heckuva player.

If Aleman plays vs Martinique he WILL be cap-tied. This has been confirmed by several journalists.

Really? Oh, ok, thought he had to play vs a FIFA opponent ...

It's unfortunate that for the 2nd GC in a row, our easiest match earns us 0 ranking points. I was looking at the ranking possibilities today and it is pretty scary. If we flame out of this tourney, we would fall A LOT; potentially 12th or 13th in Concacaf and maybe close to a 100th overall. As poor as the FIFA rankings can be, that would be really sad to see. We need a win at this tourney vs someone other than Martinique!

It also looks like the Miller - Porter squabble is continuing though as Porter will only join the team "if they need him". Seriously when you are down to 22 why not just bring him into camp.

Wow, that leaves only Straith and Morgan as defensive cover (assuming Ledgerwood is already at the back), who else can they use as emergency cover? Piette, Issey? Also, how many forwards would have to go down before Porter would be needed?

It also looks like the Miller - Porter squabble is continuing though as Porter will only join the team "if they need him". Seriously when you are down to 22 why not just bring him into camp.

If there was some squabble he never would have been called.

Really? Oh, ok, thought he had to play vs a FIFA opponent ...

It's unfortunate that for the 2nd GC in a row, our easiest match earns us 0 ranking points. I was looking at the ranking possibilities today and it is pretty scary. If we flame out of this tourney, we would fall A LOT; potentially 12th or 13th in Concacaf and maybe close to a 100th overall. As poor as the FIFA rankings can be, that would be really sad to see. We need a win at this tourney vs someone other than Martinique!

Yeah I remember in the 2011 Gold Cup that Borjan was NOT cap tied playing Guadeloupe.

If there was some squabble he never would have been called.

Yeah not sure him being on stand-by is a squabble but speaking of squabbles why would one call a striker/attacking mid to replace a defender on a team that is lacking defenders? Now if REB can't play for the tournament it would make sense to call Porter but not to replace Nana. Especially when a still reasonably young NASL All-Star CB just finished his season. Not to mention we had a lot of dead weight on our preliminary roster in guys who were not likely to be available for selection because of being out of contract and in one case not wanting to play for Canada. We should have had other defenders on the list and we need to also have emergency replacements available at each position, ie. guys located in North America who can be called on short notice. Am I ever thankful Floro is here.

Also Ouimette? He's relatively close as well...but yeah preferably Hamilton. I wonder if Roger Thompson is on the CMNT radar at all

Yes Ouimette would be a legitimate replacement as well. He hasn't had as much playing time in MLS as some of the other options but is a better long term candidate than Hamilton. And I think Porter should be on this squad in the original 23 man roster but he is not the guy who should replace Nana.

None of those guys were on the 35 man roster so they weren't available or else I'm sure we would have seen a defender called to replace Attakora.

The problem lies with the 35 man roster... losing Jakovic and Hainault right off the bat from that really hurt us for options. Not to mention Aird and Cavallini turning us down... like why not figure that out before hand?

But now I'm thinking... if Hainault has signed for Aalen and he was in the 35 man roster could he not potentially come now?

None of those guys were on the 35 man roster so they weren't available or else I'm sure we would have seen a defender called to replace Attakora.

The problem lies with the 35 man roster... losing Jakovic and Hainault right off the bat from that really hurt us for options. Not to mention Aird and Cavallini turning us down... like why not figure that out before hand?

But now I'm thinking... if Hainault has signed for Aalen and he was in the 35 man roster could he not potentially come now?

Yes that is what I said above, there was too much dead weight on the 35 man roster, ie. guys who were unlikely to be able to come or were borderline players unlikely to be called. And yes they should have figured it out beforehand who was likely and unlikely to be able to come and have selected people accordingly. I can understand leaving a spot for a star player like Hutchinson but that is the only one I would take a chance on.

Hainault could potentially come but he probably wants to complete pre-season with his new team which is probably in the best interests of the national team also. And even if he did come he would not get there until too late to play the first game and would have missed the camp before the tournament. He would be on my 35 man list in regular circumstances but given he needed to find a club why was he on the list? So now we have an injury on defence which should be no surprise and have only one defender on the list as a possible replacement and he is on another continent trying to get acclimatized to his new team while two North American based CBs are available and not on the list. And if Miller is that unimpressed with Hamilton that he will not include him and thinks Ouimette is too inexperienced then why not Klukowski who can also play CB? That is just poor roster management.

well I'm sure we won't see it but this is what i'd like to see:

-------------Haber---Jackson

Teibert---------Aleman--------Osorio

-------Johnson-------DeGuzman

De Jong-------Edgar------Ledgerwood

----------------Borjan--------------------

Solves the issue of not enough defenders :)

Yes that is what I said above, there was too much dead weight on the 35 man roster, ie. guys who were unlikely to be able to come or were borderline players unlikely to be called. And yes they should have figured it out beforehand who was likely and unlikely to be able to come and have selected people accordingly. I can understand leaving a spot for a star player like Hutchinson but that is the only one I would take a chance on.

Hainault could potentially come but he probably wants to complete pre-season with his new team which is probably in the best interests of the national team also. And even if he did come he would not get there until too late to play the first game and would have missed the camp before the tournament. He would be on my 35 man list in regular circumstances but given he needed to find a club why was he on the list? So now we have an injury on defence which should be no surprise and have only one defender on the list as a possible replacement and he is on another continent trying to get acclimatized to his new team while two North American based CBs are available and not on the list. And if Miller is that unimpressed with Hamilton that he will not include him and thinks Ouimette is too inexperienced then why not Klukowski who can also play CB? That is just poor roster management.

Yeah, Kluks is the other guy I was thinking about too ... oh well, I guess this is what we've got now; we just have to get it done somehow.

Hainault coming now seems like a long shot, but maybe if we make the quarters and someone is injured/suspended. I'm really worried about whether Henry is ready for this, at this stage in his career.

Archived