Gold Cup Starting XI and Formations...

madmonte

I know this had been discussed in the other thread a bit, but now that we're really close, let's quickly rediscuss. Here's what I am hoping for.

-------------------Jackson-------------------

----Johnson------Aleman------Teibert-----

--------De Guzman-------Piette------------

De Jong---Attakora---Edgar---Ledgerwood

-------------------Borjan--------------------

Man...missing a lot of pieces here. I could modify this lineup with a lot of guys. Hainault, Jakovic, De Rosario, Hutchinson, Occean, Cavallini, Bernier, Porter, and Hume...

I've always been a big proponent of Edgar on the right, but I think we'd get torn up back there without Hainault. So I put Ledgerwood in there, because at least he'll move forward, and Piette I feel is capable of covering him.

I put Piette in on the right side because I'm interested in the kind of partnership he can develop with Teibert moving forward. I put De Guzman in for some veteran experience, and because him and Johnson together can easily cover De Jong's runs up the pitch, which puts De Jong at his best.

I put Aleman in the middle, controversially, because I just flat out like him as a player. But I was very close to slotting in Osorio in there, or even Osorio in for De Guzman, but when I put Osorio in for JDG, it looked a little young and hopeful...but a lot of different things can be done here, such as JDG out, Johnson moves back, and Osorio on the left.

SUBS

Osorio

Haber

Pacheco

Henry

Straith

Hirschfeld

Edwini-Bonsu

I'd probably sub in Osorio, Haber and Edwini-Bonsu, in this lineup, and in that order.

Notably, I left Ricketts and Morgan and Farran off the sheet. Ricketts and Morgan I left off for a reason. Farran because I didn't have any more room, but he'd be the first guy off the list to make it back on, and I don't mind Issey getting Gold Cup playing time either.

(And honestly, of the list of those left behind (for whatever reasons...weren't called...turned down the callup...Haber, Pacheco and REB wouldn't crack the subs lineup...just being clear...I prefer Porter, Cavallini, Bernier, Hume, Hutchinson etc...)

I think Miller will play a 4-2-3-1. Here's what I would go with:

-------------------Jackson-------------------

----Osorio------Johnson------Teibert-----

--------De Guzman-------Pacheco---------

De Jong---Henry---Edgar---Ledgerwood

-------------------Borjan--------------------

I'll go with a 4-1-3-2 and without Hutch in the lineup I think Aleman is our best with the ball option in midfield. Having JDG behind to give support to the young player is needed as he will make some mistakes. Up top I want REB and Jackson. Neither is a lone point man but together I think they will give fits to the opposing defenders.

-------------- Randy Edwini-Bonsu - Simeon Jackson -----------------

---------- Will Johnson - Keven Aleman - Russell Teibert ------------

---------------------------------- Julian de Guzman -----------------------------

Marcel de Jong - Adam Straith - David Edgar - Nik Ledgerwood

----------------------------------- Milan Borjan ------------------------------------

-

I'll go with a 4-1-3-2 and without Hutch in the lineup I think Aleman is our best with the ball option in midfield. Having JDG behind to give support to the young player is needed as he will make some mistakes. Up top I want REB and Jackson. Neither is a lone point man but together I think they will give fits to the opposing defenders.

-

That's certainly an attractive idea...

Occean isn't there remember :P

:P hence me calling him a missing piece :)

So far Jackson is in everyone's starting XI :)

All of the lineups posted so far look young, which the squad is overall but which makes it a tough call to predict how they might perform! It will be interesting to see what Miller thinks his best 11 might be, there is real potential to struggle here but you never know in football!

GK: Borjan

D: Edgar Attakora Henry DeJong

DM: Jonhson JDG

AM: Teibert Pacheco Osorio(Teibert Pacheco and Oso interchanging to keep the other teams guessing)

ST: Haber

This is what I want to see not what I expect though. Pacheco will prob only play an avg of 5 mins a game

I think this gives us our best chance of winning. I like Edgar at RB and not CM better which leaves a spot for Henry to start for us.

Johnson and De Guzman are the best that we have at DM and they will give us good stability and linking ability. In the attacking midfield it has to be Osorio and Tiebert as they're in the best form. I haven't seen Aleman play but to be honest I don't see a lot of options for us at AM right now so I have to go on faith that he'll perform.

At striker I think Jackson is our most competent all around poacher and he should get the nod over the other guys. He should see a lot of action with the wings and fullbacks we have in this lineup.

---------------------Jackson-------------------

------Teibert------Aleman-------Osorio------

-------------Johnson-----de Guzman----------

De Jong-------Attakora--------Henry------Edgar

--------------------Borjan--------------------

---------------Jackson---------------

---Teibert------------------REB------

--------Johnson-----Aleman--------

-------------De Guzman-------------

--De Jong--Attakora--Edgar--Ledgerwood

----------------Borjan----------------

Unfortunately, I do realize REB is not likely to play Sunday, but I think this is the best possible lineup with the exception a few like for like changes. (ie: Osorio for Aleman, Henry for Attakora, etc.)

Edwini-Bonsu is not a crosser, but he is a cutter, a shooter, a sparkplug who you want challenging fullbacks rather than trying to own the centre of the park. Crossing is a low-percentage way of generating opportunities either, as fans familiar with a generation of "lump it in to Friend" should remember!

My guess is that Miller uses a 4-2-3-1 and goes for as much seniority as possible, this is not my preferred starters but what I think that Milller will do.

.................... Haber................

Issey...........Jackson............Tiebert

........DeGuzeman.....Johnson

DeJong..Henry..Edgar..Ledgerwood

.....................Lars.......

Haber because he is the only big centre forward, Issey for experience, Jackson to play behind Haber as more of a forward, Tiebert as I ran out of experienced mids. DeGuzeman and Johnson as these are their most comfortable spots. DeJong as, well duh, he's the only left back, Henry as I think neither he nor Attakora are yet ready to lead the centre back line yet so I pick one and not the other, Edgar to lead the line and Ledgewood at right back as he has done reasonably well there in the past. Lars, well flip a coin.

For my tastes, if you have called all this youth, play them.

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks dropping Ricketts is a little premature. I'd go with:

--------------------Borjan---------------------

--Ledgerwood--Edgar---Henry--De Jong--

---------Johnson------JDG--------------------

---Ricketts-----Jackson------Tiebert------

-------------------Haber----------------------

Apparently I'm the only one who thinks dropping Ricketts is a little premature.

For me it came down to a choice between Jackson and Ricketts (and/or playing Jackson instead of Haber) and I chose Jackson. I want to see Teibert centrally and I want to see Edwini-Bonsu on the field. I had REB in the wide position, but I would like to see him attacking more through the middle and trying to find space inside the fullback.

I'm surprised so many people have Aleman starting. I'm high on the kid too, but he's awfully young. I would rather see Osorio and/or Teibert start. And I don't think playing a handful of players with less than 10 caps does us or them any favours. I want Aleman to get some time during the tournament, but I don't think starting our opening game is that time.

cheers,

matthew

Judging by these player selections, it doesn't look like any of you share the same enthusiasm that Fonseca/Miller have shown for Bekker as a starter.

However, I sense he'll be in the starting XI tomorrow.

I actually won't be that upset if Bekker starts as long as he is in his natural position, Miller just better not stick him out on the wing again.

I'm surprised so many people have Aleman starting. I'm high on the kid too, but he's awfully young.

I think many of us just want to see him cap-tied, myself included. I think that's why so many of us have him playing instead of, say, someone like Piette who is also not deserving of starting right now, but arguably should be ahead of Aleman. Knowing Canada, we'll probably play Aleman vs. Martinique and he'll get injured, thereby leaving him not cap-tied.

Archived