NASL vs USL Pro: soccerwar in Oklahoma

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't spent much time researching the details, but surely having both NASL and USL Pro in the same city is moronic.

USL's Oklahoma club intends to build a stadium - but has no land, no money for either land acquisition or stadium construction, and so on?

As much as I would like to see the lower-divisions of the U.S. soccer pyramid grow, I seem to be witnessing rushed acceptance from the leagues.

Am I the only one who thinks the US Soccer Federation needs to:

1) step in and ban any further multiple-clubs-in-one-city nonsense, and

2) Put some more stringent requirements on USL in terms of admitting D3 clubs (like they did for the NASL)?

I haven't spent much time researching the details, but surely having both NASL and USL Pro in the same city is moronic.

USL's Oklahoma club intends to build a stadium - but has no land, no money for either land acquisition or stadium construction, and so on?

As much as I would like to see the lower-divisions of the U.S. soccer pyramid grow, I seem to be witnessing rushed acceptance from the leagues.

2) Put some more stringent requirements on USL in terms of admitting D3 clubs (like they did for the NASL)?

I think the USL does do some good things with the PDL and so forth, but they haven't exactly done really well with new pro clubs lately. Phoenix looked good to start but over the course of the season is now a total disaster. The other expansion team VSI Tampa Bay hasn't done much either. The NASL Rowdies (located across the bay) are doing better. They are geographically distant enough that I could see them both existing, but the USL club hasn't shown us much yet. The other teams added since 2010 are Orlando (complete success - because or in spite of USL?), Antigua (not playing home games, need gov't support to stay alive), and Los Angeles (very low attendance and no attention). That's a success rate of 1 in 5. When I hear about USL OKC's lack of a plan I don't have a lot of optimism that they go against this trend.

Jason

Of course its Moronic , most petty squabbles are.

And that Multiple clubs-in-one City nonsense is why the EPL is probably the most Dominant TV League in the world.

I do agree with you on the D3 requirements though.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived