Canada vs. Mexico, Seattle July 11/13, Pre-Match Planning Thread

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ Keep up. It has been removed from Draft #2 above. :P

:) Don't take it personally!

I wonder how Maple Leaf Forever will go in Seattle?? I was never a proponent of the song, but I said that if I ever went to a game I'd try to brush up so I at least knew it. I better hit youtube then.

:) Don't take it personally!

No worries, I couldn't find an emoticon for NARF!

I wonder how Maple Leaf Forever will go in Seattle?? I was never a proponent of the song, but I said that if I ever went to a game I'd try to brush up so I at least knew it. I better hit youtube then.

- note we will probably sing it faster, but not as "swingy" as Buble did.

Remember all. Just because a song may not read well on paper, doesn't mean it can't be taken to a different spot.

MLF could work well, but it takes people to be on board. Probably could use some bar practice.

THAT is freaking epic...a must watch. That goes right to my facebook.

Are you guys out of your ****ing minds?

I deleted the post with the PDF of a song we can't even HINT at. WTF!

I even want the discussion of it deleted.

Do you have any idea the scrutney we are under right now?

Are you guys out of your ****ing minds?

I deleted the post with the PDF of a song we can't even HINT at. WTF!

I even want the discussion of it deleted.

Dude, if we don't know what we're not supposed to do, how do we know what we're not supposed to do?

Dude, if we don't know what we're not supposed to do, how do we know what we're not supposed to do?

It's totally obvious which song should not be on that sheet or even talked about on this board as being a possibility.

I'm going to delete what I can. I practically never delete anything but fck me right now is not the time, nor should it even be a light on the horizon for anyone to go there.

One video of anyone saying that, a song sheet anything.. SL wins and we are no longer doing what we do in any stadium in Canada.

Sorry, I had no idea residents of [that certain place] were total and complete [insert pejorative] who cannot take a joke.

I'd like to delete draft the first since it seems to be causing you trouble but I cannot figure out how to do that.

EDIT Found it but looks like you got their first. Thanks.

^ I did a quick browse through on the song list, but I ended up focusing on MLF....I must have missed something? No matter. I'll exercise my degree or rhetoric and say that I will remain ignorant of that which is ignorant, which may make me more ignorant, but in this case, hopefully less ignorant?

It's totally obvious which song should not be on that sheet or even talked about on this board as being a possibility.

Not all of us share each other's mentality. I am on the side of cheeky, insulting chants which hopefully wind up our opposition. My line is not in the same place as yours. I do not know which chant has crossed your line.

Yes I think the second one is better. Here is a video of the massive from Lens. Some of the guys in Seattle already know it also:

HOLY ****ING ****! I am getting grief for a song about picking fruit and these guys are giving full-on Nazi-salutes!

I've been out of town, so I haven't seen the discussion or the song sheet, but fair to say: "don't be racist" is a good starting point on what to do. And one person's racism may be another person's bit of a banter and fun, but as Socceronly points out, now is not the time to be pushing that boundary.

To a bigger point and maybe it's just me, but I started going to matches to support Canada and back my team. And that never really involved belittling or insulting the other team. Maybe things happen during the match or they get built up over time (Honduras), but I find singing about how small, poor, backwards, whatever another country is perceived to be as kind of pointless and dumb. It doesn't help and makes us look petty and provincial. If we're trying to support our players and give them a lift, that doesn't really do that. And it certainly isn't going to have a negetive effect on the opposition. Unless we're playing Belize or St. Vincent, we're not going to rattle another player with a chant. In which case we don't need to rattle them because we're just better than they are.

Plus our players come from a diverse set of backgrounds. Are we really trying to court and cap tie Keven Aleman and with the same breath considering singing racial stereotypes about people from Central America? I mean really?

Anyway I've said more than enough about something I missed in the first place. This group has always represented itself well and policed itself well if need be. I'm sure that won't change.

See you guys tomorrow.

cheers,

matthew

Are we really trying to court and cap tie Keven Aleman and with the same breath considering singing racial stereotypes about people from Central America?

At NO POINT in this thread was ANYONE advocating singing or chanting racial sterotypes of any sort against anyone from Mexico (or Central America generally or indeed anywhere).

Anyway, the version I am printing:Voyageurs_CAN_v_MEX_2013.pdf

Thanks for putting this together, Ted. :)

Personally I love winding up the opposition, but it's really only effective when in huge numbers or when immediately behind the goal. Back in the Whitecaps' Swangard days, I really enjoyed trawling Google for personal details about USL goalkeepers and abusing them from just yards behind the goal, which visibly distracted most of them (although a small minority actually seemed to enjoyed it!).

Point is that we'll be small in numbers in Seattle tomorrow, and up fairly high, so razzing the opponent won't be very effective this time around. But hey, I'm hardly "Mr. Positive" and do enjoy giving the opponents a verbal bollocking from time to time. :)

At NO POINT in this thread was ANYONE advocating singing or chanting racial sterotypes of any sort against anyone from Mexico (or Central America generally or indeed anywhere).

Anyway, the version I am printing:[ATTACH]944[/ATTACH]

Apologies Ted. I shouldn't have implied or suggested racial content without being able to read what was said. Anyway, onwards!

Enough has been removed/deleted that I didn't really know what was suggested. So I apologize if I over-reacted. Anyway, onwards.

Archived