Hanson Boakai

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is a prime example.

You are not convinced that he is a good coach or good developer of talent. You also say Miller would be "really far down the list" of coaches you'd recommend to a talented Canadian.

How exactly did you come to that opinion? Have you talked with players who have trained under him? Are you making an assumption about his ability to develop players based on the style he employes at FCE or with the Canadian National Team (as an interim head coach)?

I clearly remember playing against an incredible Abbotsford Mariners U-18 team at the 2003 Club Nationals, who just happened to be coached by Colin Miller. They're offensive movement was absolutely phenomenal and it was clear that he did a phenomenal job with that group.

Did Miller suddenly forget all of that when he joined FCE, or when he took over at the Gold Cup? I doubt it. It's far more likely he picked a style of play that suited the players he inherited (relative to their competition), just like he picked a style of play for his Abbotsford boys.

For anyone with experience in those tournaments, you know that the teams from BC, Ontario, Quebec and arguably Alberta already know going in that they'll likely be more technically gifted than everyone else. That fact plays into how they set up against everyone else. So it is nothing new for those big teams to play in that way, but Miller's team was on a whole other level from any other team I have ever played against.

That should fly in the face of any argument that he doesn't know how to play attractive football.

The other thing is, that Abbotsford Mariners team also had a few youth national team players, such as Brad Peetoom who went on to start alongside Hainault in the 2005 at the U-20 World Cup. I don't know to what extent Miller played a role in his development (and the others), but from what I understand he'd been working in Abbotsford for several years, so I have every reason to believe that Miller had an impact there.

Again, maybe he deserves more credit for the work? Just a thought.

I was an Eddies season ticket holder. Miller gets more stick than he deserves sometimes. However, he is stubborn, there is no doubt about that. He also walks a fine line in not accepting responsibility at times when it's appropriate that he do so.

I feel Boakai moving onto a new situation would be good for everyone involved.

Steven Sandor had a little nugget in his latest FC Edmonton article about the Boakai contract talks. I still think staying in Edmonton in 2016 doesn't do his career any favours (unless he shapes up discipline wise, and Miller starts to get him regular consistent minutes), but, it sounds like it's not out of the realm of possibility.

"As for the status of midfielder Hanson Boakai, whose contract expired at the end of last season, Miller said

relationships 

between the club, the player and the agent remain cordial.

"We have made an offer, and we have a good relationship with Hanson and his agent,” said Miller. “We want to come to an agreement that satisfies the club and the player. But, like any player out of contract, he is looking at his options.”

http://the11.ca/2016/01/20/miller-says-this-has-been-fc-edmontons-best-ever-off-season-when-it-comes-to-signings/

34 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Steven Sandor had a little nugget in his latest FC Edmonton article about the Boakai contract talks. I still think staying in Edmonton in 2016 doesn't do his career any favours (unless he shapes up discipline wise, and Miller starts to get him regular consistent minutes), but, it sounds like it's not out of the realm of possibility.

http://the11.ca/2016/01/20/miller-says-this-has-been-fc-edmontons-best-ever-off-season-when-it-comes-to-signings/

If Hanson signed for an MLS club, should FC Edmonton try to petition Fifa for training compensation? That would be interesting.

3 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Can you get training compensation when the guy's contract runs out? I thought it was only on transfers that someone drops cash on.

True. Compensation for development is only paid when a club buys off a players contract with a transfer sum. If Edmonton felt he would be valuable, they should have signed him to a longer contract. 

4 hours ago, lazlo_80 said:

Can you get training compensation when the guy's contract runs out? I thought it was only on transfers that someone drops cash on.

Pretty sure when a player is under the age of 21 there is still a small development fee to pay regardless of whether the player is under contract or not. In England it is up to 24 yrs old:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jul/10/transfer-tribunal-danny-ings-liverpool-burnley

Interesting. However a quick search on google gives reason to believe this is an English FA-agreement only, not a worldwide FIFA regulation.

PFCC - Professional Football Compensation Committee
The professional game's method for determining the amount of compensation payable for training and development of players under the age of 24 is through the Professional Football Compensation Committee (PFCC). The PFCC is incorporated under the rules of both The Football League and Premier League, and forms part of the collective bargaining agreement with the Professional Footballers' Association.

Edit:

From the FIFA-page: 

Article 20

Training compensation

Training compensation shall be paid to a player’s training club(s): (1) when a player signs his first contract as a professional and (2) each time a professional is transferred until the end of the season of his 23rd birthday. The obligation to pay training compensation arises whether the transfer takes place during or at the end of the player’s contract. The provisions concerning training compensation are set out in Annexe 4 of these regulations. 

Edited by shamrock

I guess you were right. I haven't heard too much about it, so I'm looking into it now.

Training compensation is due when:

i) a player is registered for the first time as a professional;

or

ii) a professional is transferred between clubs of two different associations (whether during or at the end of his contract)

before the end of the season of his 23rd birthday.

Training compensation is not due if:

i) the former club terminates the player’s contract without just cause (without prejudice to the rights of the previous clubs);

or
ii) the player is transferred to a category 4 club;
or
iii) a professional reacquires amateur status on being transferred. 

Hadjuk seems a top development club, with one source having their academy producing the third most top flight players in Europe. Even their first team is quite young, lots of 19 and 20 year olds, with their oldest player being 26. Hanson should get his chance.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/best-academy-europe-094426548.html

Sandor just out with this piece on Boakai:

http://the11.ca/2016/01/22/hanson-boakai-is-forced-to-live-up-to-the-unrealistic-expectations-canadian-fans-have-placed-on-him/

Edited by tarnado

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Would be a nice move for him. A chance to sink or swim away from home. If he has his head screwed on right, his natural ability will see him land with that first team very quickly. 

Good luck to him and I hope he secures a deal.

50 minutes ago, tarnado1555362291 said:

Hadjuk seems a top development club, with one source having their academy producing the third most top flight players in Europe. Even their first team is quite young, lots of 19 and 20 year olds, with their oldest player being 26. Hanson should get his chance.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/pitchside-europe/best-academy-europe-094426548.html

I'm of two minds on this one...

With respect to the club: Hadjuk Split is a club with a great reputation, and consistently one of the top clubs in the Balkans.

With respect to the location: For a guy who's reported to have "maturity issues", I'm not sure one of the party capitals of Europe is an ideal place for him.

We'll see how this turns out.

That's a good club situation for him if he signs. The Croatian style emphasizes speed and technique so should be a good fit for him. Would imagine he'll push into the first team quickly as the B team plays in the third division which is probably about the level of semi-pro, like CSL (a lot of Serbs and Croats that came here were 2nd and 3rd division players) from a few years ago.

Edited by jpg75

11 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

I'm of two minds on this one...

With respect to the club: Hadjuk Split is a club with a great reputation, and consistently one of the top clubs in the Balkans.

With respect to the location: For a guy who's reported to have "maturity issues", I'm not sure one of the party capitals of Europe is an ideal place for him.

We'll see how this turns out.

Do you have any idea of how the Croats train? They are beyond strict and disciplined. If Boakai or any young player on the team has any ideas of enjoying the nightlife instead of preparing themselves properly for the next day's training they will be severely disciplined once and if it happens again they will be out of the club. If discipline is Boakai's problem, the Croatian system is the perfect cure for it.

Edited by Grizzly

11 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Do you have any idea of how the Croats train? They are beyond strict and disciplined. If Boakai or any young player on the team has any ideas of enjoying the nightlife instead of preparing themselves properly for the next day's training they will be severely disciplined once and if it happens again they will be out of the club. If discipline is Boakai's problem, the Croatian system is the perfect cure for it.

Yeah, this strikes as very much a sink or swim opportunity. Put your head down and do the work, Hanson.

4 hours ago, ditty said:

Yeah, this strikes as very much a sink or swim opportunity. Put your head down and do the work, Hanson.

I totally agree, think Grizzly is right on too. A great move for the kid, there is a lot of talent and even flashy talent in Croatia (Barça have probably the best young Croatian, Halilovic, on loan to Gijon), and he spectacular as a teen. Even he has to learn to be a team player and not be a hotdog, so Boakai is going to find he'll be able to flourish and he'll get discipline too. A wonderful move as far as I'm concerned.

15 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Good to know! I really hope he sticks with the club and takes his opportunity.