Hanson Boakai

Just turn your brain off and the last few pages of this thread will become easier to digest. TFC doesn't play Canadian players bad; TFC does play Canadian players bad; TFC doesn't develop young Canadian players bad; TFC starts development team to better develop young Canadian players bad; TFC bad, magical fairy Canadian league solve all problems each team like Athletico Madrid overnight gooooooodddddddddddd........

Hmm, you are feeling sorry for TFC, that must be a first.  

If I am Hanson I re-up with FCED hoping a transfer deal can be worked out. If a club pays for his services that's a good indication of future playing time. There's room more minutes at Fced with Laing leaving. Laing would be a better fit with TFC .

Just turn your brain off and the last few pages of this thread will become easier to digest. TFC doesn't play Canadian players bad; TFC does play Canadian players bad; TFC doesn't develop young Canadian players bad; TFC starts development team to better develop young Canadian players bad; TFC bad, magical fairy Canadian league solve all problems each team like Athletico Madrid overnight gooooooodddddddddddd........

I think you're in the wrong place. With the way you constantly rag on Canadian talent, I think the following might be a better supporters group for your viewpoints:

https://www.theamericanoutlaws.com/

Edited by shermanator

If I am Hanson I re-up with FCED hoping a transfer deal can be worked out. If a club pays for his services that's a good indication of future playing time. There's room more minutes at Fced with Laing leaving. Laing would be a better fit with TFC .

If there's one thing I think most of us here agree with, it's that Boakai needs to get the hell out of Edmonton. He and Miller are like oil and water. The incredibly talented player with discipline issues and the hard ass old school coach who likes route 1 football is not a good mix.

The problem with re-signing with FCED and hoping for a transfer is that MLS goes out of their way to not give transfer fees to NASL teams. So signing there might limit any move to an MLS team.

Hanson has a Guinean passport doesn't he? I would prefer he gets on with a smaller club in Spain or France where he could groom his offensive talent in a good environment and have opportunities to play (loans for example) and be seen by other clubs. We've seen so many youngsters careers end in MLS due to lack of player development and mobility.

Hanson has a Guinean passport doesn't he? I would prefer he gets on with a smaller club in Spain or France where he could groom his offensive talent in a good environment and have opportunities to play (loans for example) and be seen by other clubs. We've seen so many youngsters careers end in MLS due to lack of player development and mobility.

Yeah he does. I double checked the document and just realized I had screwed that up and had "Liberian" in there for some reason.

I think he'd do really well if given the chance in MLS considering he's got a lot more skill and technical ability than 98% of the current MLS player pool. 

That is why (along with completely selfish reasons) I'm hoping he signs with the Caps. I think with the right coaching he could do the role that Techera did this year. Hanson is a classic wing type player who could fill that role in our 4-5-1 (IMHO).

That is why (along with completely selfish reasons) I'm hoping he signs with the Caps. I think with the right coaching he could do the role that Techera did this year. Hanson is a classic wing type player who could fill that role in our 4-5-1 (IMHO).

I agree with this but TFC hold his MLS rights so unfortunately its irrelevant. 

Edited by IceCreamMan

I agree with this but TFC hold his MLS rights so unfortunately its irrelevant. 

MLS rights are like cheap ho's, they get passed around a lot.  :)

We have lots of allocation due to the V's Cup win CCL so for 50k or less a deal could be done.

MLS rights are like cheap ho's, they get passed around a lot.  :)

We have lots of allocation due to the V's Cup win CCL so for 50k or less a deal could be done.

Fair point and I'd agree if it was some random player who just happens to be on the discovery list. TFC clearly has actual interested in Boakai so I think they would be a lot less inclined to move his rights. 

• 2 months later...

FCEd has 18 on the roster & 3 more international spots and needs one more goals. Leaving just 3 more roster spots. Not sure if Hanson is going to re-sign. Miller has pulled offers from Michael Cox & Kyle Porter when they dragged out the signing of an ettension.

37 minutes ago, Benjamin Massey said:

The Miller disdain is a bit out of control. If Boakai doesn't make it Colin Miller will be the last person to blame. The very last.

If Boakai doesn't make it may well be his own fault but so far I have not seen anything from Miller that convinces me he is either a good coach or developer of talent. The list of coaches in Canada is not very extensive but even given that if someone asked me who a talented Canadian should train under in Canada, Miller would be really far down the list with his only saving grace being that unlike most Canadian coaches he actually has a pro team to offer playing time on. Boakai has enough raw talent that he should be able to find a better environment for his to develop in. He may be in danger of not taking advantage of his talent but I think that danger is at least reduced if he is with a coach and in an environment that can develop his talent properly.

Edited by Grizzly

Miller's brought up a few young players into professional soccer in his years at FC Edmonton. None have exactly been superstars but guys like Mallan Roberts and Allan Zebie aren't nothing either. I do not say "he is the best option available," I do not say "obviously Boakai should stay in Edmonton rather than go to Serie B," I say only "for professional coaches in Canada and the United States, he's perfectly acceptable." You'd certainly take him over a guy like Frank Yallop, or any of a hundred MLS coaches who draft college-age 20-somethings every year to replace the college-age 20-somethings they cut at the end of last year.

Well from what we have read and heard about Boakai discipline is the key word and attitude, does he have the right discipline and attitude to advance as a pro, because talent wise from the times I have seen him he is ahead and beyond most players around his age, but at every level he has never been a real starter coaches at most of the national teams he has played on so far have never really had him as a mainstay starter which has always puzzled me because of all the talent he has, why coaches have not ever made him a main starter on these teams?

Boakai also isn't the only promising talent wasting away in Edmonton. I will argue Sadi Jalali, (who I wrote off at the beginning of last year), looked very promising during his limited minutes in 2015, and was promptly rewarded with a permanent seat on the bench, behind everyone's favourite Frank Jonke. And as far as I know there are no disciplinary problems with Jalali, he's busting his ass to get better.

Miller and Boakai are simply not a good fit for each other. Boakai is incredibly talented, but also very immature. Needs to grow the hell up and learn what it takes to be a pro. He dogged it on the field for the majority of the time I saw him play, although he also did things like score a goal while lying on the pitch. Re-signing in Edmonton will do him no favours in advancing his career. 

On the other side, Miller is a stubborn dinosaur and doesn't know anything other than Route 1 soccer, and hasn't shown that he knows what it takes to build a winner in NASL. But, he has developed some quality talent; specifically the players Lord Bob mentioned, and I think the Ledgerwood signing was very astute.

I think Edmonton are a bottom table team in 2016 based on how the roster looks today. As the architect, Miller is to blame for that.

I have seen Sadi in the gym in the off-season. He's training away hoping to get his chance. If he isn't playing reguarly this year needs to a loan to the USL or maybe try the indian league(ISL) where Hume is playing. Since he was born in India maybe he counts as an domestic. 

3 hours ago, Benjamin Massey said:

The Miller disdain is a bit out of control. If Boakai doesn't make it Colin Miller will be the last person to blame. The very last.

I agree about Miller, the reputation he has developed around here is that he's tactically out to lunch or outdated somehow. Not saying he's Pep Guardiola, but I think people are far to quick to throw him under the bus.

Just because he isn't fashionable doesn't mean he is clueless or doesn't have a solid understanding of football. 

3 hours ago, Grizzly said:

I have not seen anything from Miller that convinces me he is either a good coach or developer of talent. The list of coaches in Canada is not very extensive but even given that if someone asked me who a talented Canadian should train under in Canada, Miller would be really far down the list with his only saving grace being that unlike most Canadian coaches he actually has a pro team to offer playing time on. 

This is a prime example.

You are not convinced that he is a good coach or good developer of talent. You also say Miller would be "really far down the list" of coaches you'd recommend to a talented Canadian.

How exactly did you come to that opinion? Have you talked with players who have trained under him? Are you making an assumption about his ability to develop players based on the style he employes at FCE or with the Canadian National Team (as an interim head coach)?

I clearly remember playing against an incredible Abbotsford Mariners U-18 team at the 2003 Club Nationals, who just happened to be coached by Colin Miller. They're offensive movement was absolutely phenomenal and it was clear that he did a phenomenal job with that group.

Did Miller suddenly forget all of that when he joined FCE, or when he took over at the Gold Cup? I doubt it. It's far more likely he picked a style of play that suited the players he inherited (relative to their competition), just like he picked a style of play for his Abbotsford boys.

For anyone with experience in those tournaments, you know that the teams from BC, Ontario, Quebec and arguably Alberta already know going in that they'll likely be more technically gifted than everyone else. That fact plays into how they set up against everyone else. So it is nothing new for those big teams to play in that way, but Miller's team was on a whole other level from any other team I have ever played against.

That should fly in the face of any argument that he doesn't know how to play attractive football.

The other thing is, that Abbotsford Mariners team also had a few youth national team players, such as Brad Peetoom who went on to start alongside Hainault in the 2005 at the U-20 World Cup. I don't know to what extent Miller played a role in his development (and the others), but from what I understand he'd been working in Abbotsford for several years, so I have every reason to believe that Miller had an impact there.

Again, maybe he deserves more credit for the work? Just a thought.