Hanson Boakai

I ve talked to Jalali in the past .. he has interest from teams in Germany to trial and was suppose to go with Hanson one of the times to train (January 2015 or 2014). Next season, Lance Laing will probably be gone so that's open a spot for Hanson to start game in and game out... 

I think he needs to go to MLS. A level where he can still be groomed while staying in the comforts of North America. MLS being a cut above NASL will help him grow I suspect, but sinking or swimming in Europe could see him wind up like Freddy Adu - bouncing from club to club despite obvious talent.

This is my position. I'd love to see him at Vancouver.

Where would he play in Vancouver? Nowhere on the senior team.

He's not ready for MLS. Some time in USL PRO would do him good. Aside from a hot streak in 2014, Hanson hasn't even played well in NASL (Eddies season ticket holder and Hanson lover here). There are lots of parts to his game that still require a lot of work (decision making, defending)

I love Hanson, but I also think Europe will chew him up and spit him out...

Edited by Soccerpro

He's not ready for MLS. Some time in USL PRO would do him good. Aside from a hot streak in 2014, Hanson hasn't even played well in NASL (Eddies season ticket holder and Hanson lover here). There are lots of parts to his game that still require a lot of work (decision making, defending)

I love Hanson, but I also think Europe will chew him up and spit him out...

I don't follow them as closely at all, but I tend to agree.  if he goes to Europe they probably see him as a low cost flyer they barely care about rather than a serious investment to groom.

I cannot see any european team taking as serious of an interest in Hanson as a person as the Eddies do. I think he needs people in his corner looking out for him.

I am with Soccerpro. I always envision him in Vancouver (even though TFC is my favourite club if I had to pick). I also don't believe he is ready to jump into MLS right away, but dangling that carrot in front of him could be a motivator.

Or, he could join a La Liga reserve team like Deportivo B and maybe even get minutes, but I really feel he will get lost in the shuffle over there. If he's not disiplined enough at FCE how is he going to cope when he has to live in a forigen country with a forigen language (i'm assuming he is not fluent in Spanish).

Given the reports on his attitude and behaviour, I suspect (based on nothing except an assumption on how some players with his profile may think) that he does not respect FCE and NASL because talent-wise, he is way too good for that league. In MLS he will not be - ESPECIALLY at Vancouver of all places.

I could see him starting in USL and eventually earning minutes with the first team, like Forese has done (and Bustos is now doing).

As for the log jam of talent? Let him rise to the top ahead of Bustos, Forese or whatever other talented attacker in the Whitecaps stable. Going to Toronto or Montreal because there's less competiton is not what you want from someone of Boakai's temperment. PLUS Robbie gives young guys a chance and I can actually see him breaking into MLS quicker on the west coast despite the level of competiton he'd face.

Personally I would like to see him get on in Europe with a good U-23 system that can bring him along and coach talent like talent is supposed to be coached.  No real offence to Miller intended, but the professional environment in Edmonton is such that with his talent, he is viewed as a professional, where in Europe he can still be treated as a prospect and coached as such, hopefully in an environment skilled with player development.

Perhaps there are a couple USL-Pro/MLS Affiliated teams that can provide that environment too...but the path from USL to MLS seems to be a trickier one than I expected for most prospects...

I ve talked to Jalali in the past .. he has interest from teams in Germany to trial and was suppose to go with Hanson one of the times to train (January 2015 or 2014). Next season, Lance Laing will probably be gone so that's open a spot for Hanson to start game in and game out...

Laing signed a two-year extension last year. Do you know something I don't?

• 1 month later...

Rollins and Schuller reporting on twitter that he is heading to Toronto FC. Not exactly sure how to feel about it. Biggest thing is he needs to play and he never won a starters sport at FC Edmonton so its hard to think he will in Toronto. Would be awesome if he did though and the potential is obviously there. 

I don't get why people don't want this to happen. TFC play very narrow in the midfield, with Osorio playing on the left side, allowing him to come into the middle on his strong foot. Don't you think Boakai could provide something similar out on the right? Certainly I would take that over Findlay or Jackson.

Edited by Obinna