Hanson Boakai

Watching the repeat of Can-Panama and he is spectacular at times. This kid needs some quality development, and should go into a major club structure where he can get it. Nothing against Edmonton but he needs decision-making experience, and to be around really experienced players. But he is a talented fellow, watching with Babouli they are creative and fun. I would have loved to see Bustos in the mix with this team.

BTW, just curious. Do those saying Floro plays to not lose and did not play to win last night think little Florito did the same vs. Panama? Same result after all. Same need for a goal to win and stay alive. Asking as I just watched a game where both teams were attacking and not bunkering, with about the same chances on goal as in Canada-CR. 

Nothing about what I just watched suggests that Florito is doing something fundamentally wrong.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Watching the repeat of Can-Panama and he is spectacular at times. This kid needs some quality development, and should go into a major club structure where he can get it. Nothing against Edmonton but he needs decision-making experience, and to be around really experienced players. But he is a talented fellow, watching with Babouli they are creative and fun. I would have loved to see Bustos in the mix with this team.

BTW, just curious. Do those saying Floro plays to not lose and did not play to win last night think little Florito did the same vs. Panama? Same result after all. Same need for a goal to win and stay alive. Asking as I just watched a game where both teams were attacking and not bunkering, with about the same chances on goal as in Canada-CR. 

Nothing about what I just watched suggests that Florito is doing something fundamentally wrong.

Yeah his decision-making at times is bad but on the other hand I wonder if it's because he's playing at a different level/speed than his teammates.  Also a lot of his play was broken up by fouls.

Edited by mpg_29

Should he be called up to senior team for wcq or still to young?

The realy questions for me is not whether he should be called up for WCQ, but why isn't he getting more playing time in Edmonton? I know Miller wasn't happy with him at the start of the season, but if that is behind them, Hanson should be playing every week.

^^^After not playing in the first four games, Boakai subbed in the next 5, then played 45 minutes and in his last game before the Pan-AMS he started and scored, looks like he has worked his way back into the line-up.

The realy questions for me is not whether he should be called up for WCQ, but why isn't he getting more playing time in Edmonton? I know Miller wasn't happy with him at the start of the season, but if that is behind them, Hanson should be playing every week.

The talent that Hanson has shown in the Pan Am games hasn't been on display during his minutes in Edmonton this year. He tends to try to do too much when he gets a run and gives away the ball needlessly, scuffs the majority of the shots he's taken, and doesn't attempt the same distribution that he has in the Pan Ams. In his minutes with the Eddies, he shows flashes of his talent but is far too inconsistent in his play. Take his game against the Scorpions a few weeks ago as an example, he has an absolutely dreadful first half, but then gets moved up top and scores a wonder goal, then is subbed off.

That plus the discipline issues from earlier in the year. If the injury issues continue to plague FC Edmonton he will continue to get minutes, but unless he shows more consistency in his quality of play he really doesn't deserve more minutes than he is getting.

Miller has said in many interviews that he is trying to shelter his young players(hanson and Sadi) and make sure they stay confident and keep improving vs throwing Hanson at the wolves at 16, 17,18 year old.. I think he's developing in the right way, in a first team environment, getting minutes in the Nasl.

Miller has said in many interviews that he is trying to shelter his young players(hanson and Sadi) and make sure they stay confident and keep improving vs throwing Hanson at the wolves at 16, 17,18 year old.. I think he's developing in the right way, in a first team environment, getting minutes in the Nasl.

And in regards to Jalali, this approach seems to be working. I said at the start of the year that based on his first two years in Edmonton he would be out of the game at 25. However, Jalali has looked tremendous in his limited minutes this year. I think he's lept over Jonke on the depth chart at minimum.

Boakai on the other hand, seems to have struggled somewhat with this approach. But, he's still miles ahead of other prospects in his age group, and even if we don't see him as much as we like I think this is the right track for him. Name one other 18 year old getting regular minutes with a first team right now of NASL or better quality. Don't think there is one. 

Edited by shermanator

And in regards to Jalali, this approach seems to be working. I said at the start of the year that based on his first two years in Edmonton he would be out of the game at 25. However, Jalali has looked tremendous in his limited minutes this year. I think he's lept over Jonke on the depth chart at minimum.

Boakai on the other hand, seems to have struggled somewhat with this approach. But, he's still miles ahead of other prospects in his age group, and even if we don't see him as much as we like I think this is the right track for him. Name one other 18 year old getting regular minutes with a first team right now of NASL or better quality. Don't think there is one. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Brandt     :D

I agree with this. Jalali's problem seemed to be more related to not be able to handle the physicality of playing with pro men. But, he was 18 and 19, so that shouldn't come as a shock. I thought he'd never make it after those first two seasons, but credit to him for proving me wrong.

Hanson's issue has never been physicality or speed of Play, it's proper decision making and discipline on the field (tracking his man, making the easy pass) and off the field (growing up).

It goes to show that even NASL is a high level for very talented Canadian teenagers and so e adjustment time is needed.

Edited by Soccerpro

• 1 month later...

IMO, there is no way Boakai is back in Edmonton next year unless Miller gives him a much bigger role with the team. The thing with that is, Boakai hasn't exactly been a consummate pro this year, showing up late to practice, so he hasn't really earned a bigger role with the squad. His play on the pitch has left a lot to be desired as well.

Sticky situation for sure. The same situation may happen with Jalali as well.

Edited by shermanator

I get what Miller is saying in the article. He knows Boakai has the talent but with his own dealings with him knows maybe he isn't ready for

Centre stage and wants to have a few years more grooming him before leaving the nest. I feel Boakai is just eager for another opportunity and who wouldn't be. I think a move is necessary for him to further develop and take more responsibility in a more serious environment hopefully in Spain where they will appreciate his attacking abilities and not chastise him like they do other places which hurts us cause that's what we need: creativity, natural instinct in the attacking zone and intuition. Canada's attack is too predictable and we don't play with flow like Central American players.

I think he needs to go to MLS. A level where he can still be groomed while staying in the comforts of North America. MLS being a cut above NASL will help him grow I suspect, but sinking or swimming in Europe could see him wind up like Freddy Adu - bouncing from club to club despite obvious talent.