Pan Am games 2015 soccer tournament

xcalibre

Have any details come out about the football tournament? Even basic stuff like how many teams, whether there will be any form of qualifying, etc? Maybe just use the last Olympic qualifying rankings and bring in 7 or 11 more teams to join Canada. Hamilton is the showpiece stadium obviously but are we still looking at no games in Toronto?

Associations affiliated with FIFA were invited to send their full women's national teams and men's U-22 teams to participate. In addition teams are allowed to enter a maximum of eighteen athletes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2011_Pan_American_Games

For the 2011 Games, the men competed in a 8-team tournament, which is a drop from 12 at the 2007 games. The teams were grouped into two pools of four teams each for a round-robin preliminary round. The top two teams in each pool advanced to an four-team single-elimination bracket

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2011_Pan_American_Games_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament

If TFC doesn't do any scouting during the tournament they should fold the club.

Details about this tournament are starting to come together. Digz TFC is correct that the Women's event is Open Age and Men's is U22, likely with 3 overage and there will be 8 teams for each gender.

It might not be widely known but I'm the Chair of the Sport Organizing Committee for the Pan Am football tournament (11v11) to be held in Hamilton and the ParaPan football tournament (7v7 Para Soccer and 7v7 Blind Soccer/futsal), to be held at UofT

I will be needing ALOT of volunteers for this event to come off properly and I'm hoping we can get a big contingent of V's in the Toronto area to pitch in and help out.

I'm working with TO2015 HR dept to work out a volunteer recruitment/registration strategy and when completed, I will be back to provide details.

Cheers,

Dino

Archived