FIFA Confederations Cup

madmonte

Tahiti get a goal against Nigeria, and the Player in question will probably never have to buy a coconut based libation ever again!

Can't wait for the Spain Tahiti game. I have a feeling the Spanish may get embarrassed. Not for long though, I'm only thinking San Marino Stuart Pierce type embarrassment.

^ Its a wonderful deadpan commentary though.

If it does go the way of the American Samoa game, I reckon there will be a glut of South American commentators heading to the ER. Just how many times can you say,"Go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-go-goal-goal goal GOAL!!" before your constitution reacts negatively?

I was so happy when Tahiti scored! The crowd cheered them on on every attack and save they made.
That was a really fun game to watch. It began with the national anthems, during which many Tahitian players had visible tears. Tahiti's goal was their championship, but they did even more than that, passing the ball around a bit and creating a few more chances. For about 70 minutes it was only 3-1, and, despite several breakaway opportunities, it took a few lucky bounces for Nigeria's first goal and two brutal Tahitian errors for the next two.

Let us hope the game against Spain won't be anything like this:

Spain won't run up the score. Perhaps just enough to beat Nigeria on goal difference (not that it will matter). The scary stat will be possession.

Spain won't run up the score. Perhaps just enough to beat Nigeria on goal difference (not that it will matter). The scary stat will be possession.

Its not your scary possesion stat that matters but what you do with it that counts.

If you could win a game on Possession alone teams would start sticking it their Jerseys and running off with it... (tell me where in the Rule book you can't do that EH?..Eh?)

I didn't see the game, but it sure seems like they did given the double-digit scoreline.

Tahiti got a standing Ovation which seemed only fair as they went out to ATTACK Spain!!

This was no cynical San Marino / Andoranesque 11 men behind the ball.

Tahiti played with an attitude of Were going to get tanked be we want it to be N-1 rather than N-0. On a number of occasions they got quite close.

Oh, and Torres missed a Penalty. Useless lump!

Guest Future CanWNT
It was already over when you posted that (3-5 PM EDT). Or do you want to download a recording of it?

Didn't realize what time it was when I posted but if there's a recording of it that'd be great.

Guest Future CanWNT
For future reference, CBC.ca is streaming every game of the Confederations Cup live.

Awesome! Thanks.

Guest Future CanWNT
Didn't realize what time it was when I posted but if there's a recording of it that'd be great.

Never mind. I found it on cbc's website.

And finally the size of the unwanted pachyderm overlooking these proceedings (and potentially those of next year WC, an apt abbreviation as the whole thing could indeed go down the toilet for 2014) may indeed be judged on how much a Brazil victory over Spain in the final can alter the current political mood music in the Country.

The political mood is already moderating. My wife, a Brazilian, is currently in Sao Paulo and has been on the street last week. Yes, there have been confrontations outside of stadiums but the violent component is a small minority. What the press doesn't show is how the vast majority of protesters are are counselling non-violence. Concessions have been made by the government, Congress as much as the President (it's amazing how some direct political action focuses the mind). My guess is that the Brazilian government as well as opposition parties will try to hold the attention of the public this next year through positive actions because the national Presidential elections take place October-November 2014. Generally, the majority of Brazilians support the concerns of protesters, but, also secretly want their country to put on a great show.

If the Federal government and State governments can show concrete actions on a number of fronts, the 2014 World Cup could be a whole lot better than most expected. In the end, these protests should be viewed as a positive rather than a negative. Democracy in Brazil has just taken a major step forward and the World Cup will benefit in the end.

The political mood is already moderating. My wife, a Brazilian, is currently in Sao Paulo and has been on the street last week. Yes, there have been confrontations outside of stadiums but the violent component is a small minority. What the press doesn't show is how the vast majority of protesters are are counselling non-violence. Concessions have been made by the government, Congress as much as the President (it's amazing how some direct political action focuses the mind). My guess is that the Brazilian government as well as opposition parties will try to hold the attention of the public this next year through positive actions because the national Presidential elections take place October-November 2014. Generally, the majority of Brazilians support the concerns of protesters, but, also secretly want their country to put on a great show.

If the Federal government and State governments can show concrete actions on a number of fronts, the 2014 World Cup could be a whole lot better than most expected. In the end, these protests should be viewed as a positive rather than a negative. Democracy in Brazil has just taken a major step forward and the World Cup will benefit in the end.

It's interesting how the media went from calling these "protests" to calling them "riots". They totally flipped that around 180 degrees and put a negative spin on these protests. I guess good news and peaceful marches doesn't sell.

That was an amazing final to watch. The Beautiful Game in full effect, and Brazil is officially back.

Not sure I'd say "full effect". Their tactic was to foul Spain to disrupt their rhythm and 2 of the goals were weak. But they did put in a good high-tempo, athletic display.

Not sure I'd say "full effect". Their tactic was to foul Spain to disrupt their rhythm and 2 of the goals were weak. But they did put in a good high-tempo, athletic display.

Two of the goals were weak? You mean from a defensive standpoint? There was some great passing going on out on the pitch all match long, especially if you consider their opponents, and their ability to step in to passing lanes under normal circumstances. That's more what I was referring to.

Archived