Fraser Aird

6 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

I'd prefer to see a young, dynamic attacking player get a shot on the wing instead of being pushed back to FB.

I dont mind him being an offensive rightback. Seeing as we have a huge void there. 

With hoilett akindele and perhaps arfield, he wont get much oppurtunity on the wing

Edited by king1010

Hoilett plays on the left. Arfield is 7 yrs older than Aird. Akindele may or not turn out to be a better player. Who knows. My point is a lot of Canadian soccer attackers tend to get pushed back into less offensive positions: Stalteri, DeRo, de Guzman, Johnson, de Jong, REB, Hoilett, Aleman...i'd prefer to not see another get pushed back at the tender age of 20.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Hmm, would Aird get minutes in Vancouver at RB? Or would he sit on the bench in favour of Jordan Smith? If it's the latter, probably not the best move for his career IMO.

Competition is good and if Jordan Smith is the only player he has to compete with for the RB spot, I believe he has a fair shake at winning the position. That is healthy, and would be a much better than the situation Morgan finds himself in, where he is behind an older, more experienced and (quite frankly) better LB.

Judging on how Mark Warburton has ran his team to date, it'd be worth the gamble, I reckon.

The other thing is that Aird can also play as an attacking winger. Yes, Vancouver brought in Bolaños (who I expect to start), but with Manneh, Techera and Froese the other options, I believe Aird could see spot minutes in more advanced positions as well.

If he's brought in though, it will likely be to address the RB void, and I think going to a Canadian team that's proven itself to put faith in young players is a great opportunity. It would be up to him to decide whether it's a good move for his career or not, because it appears he would get the chance. 

It's hard to imagine where else he would have the opportunity to win a starting role at this high of a level. 

I hope it happens. 

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

Hmm, would Aird get minutes in Vancouver at RB? Or would he sit on the bench in favour of Jordan Smith? If it's the latter, probably not the best move for his career IMO.

Perhaps, but backing up Smith and racking up USL minutes is better than his current situation.

Edited by A_Gagne

50 minutes ago, A_Gagne said:

Perhaps, but backing up Smith and racking up USL minutes is better than his current situation.

I would be rather surprised if Aird gets significant USL minutes, or any at all for that matter. I think he'll be viewed as a first team player from the start (if this deal even happens at all).

On 23 januari 2016 at 8:59 PM, jpg75 said:

Hoilett plays on the left. Arfield is 7 yrs older than Aird. Akindele may or not turn out to be a better player. Who knows. My point is a lot of Canadian soccer attackers tend to get pushed back into less offensive positions: Stalteri, DeRo, de Guzman, Johnson, de Jong, REB, Hoilett, Aleman...i'd prefer to not see another get pushed back at the tender age of 20.

Attacking players are always being pushed back. Nothing wrong with that. 

1 hour ago, BrennanFan said:

I hope this move does works out for him.  And I'm not sure if RB is the place for him as he has an insane shot, power and accuracy in a quick release, similar to Larin.  

I can't stress enough that he is more of a winger than RB. I keep on seeing him reduced to RB everywhere. He played further up for Rangers, pretty much every game I saw.

Edited by Fussball_eh

46 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

I can't stress enough that he is more of a winger than RB. I keep on seeing him reducted to RB everywhere. He played further up for Rangers, pretty much every game I saw.

If you were watching his game under McCoist over the previous few seasons then, yes, he was playing more attacking in a wider role and getting quite a bit of playing time.

However, this year he hasn't really featured much at all for the first team as the new Manager looked at him as the main cover at RB for James Tavernier. 

Aird has made only four appearances for Rangers in 15/16; all as a sub.  In three of them he subbed on for Tavernier (all late in games - 81st minute, etc.) and the fourth one it was for Barry McKay (winger). 

Majority of his career at Ibrox has been attacking winger.  This year, more of an attacking RB when played.

Versatile player who can also play on the left side (as he did for Rangers at times).

Wish the lad all the best in Vancouver.

Edited by gwsmith63

50 minutes ago, pint said:

So are we saying that the whitecaps are going to shoehorn him into a role that under utilizes his skill set?

perfect... back to hating Vancouver

LOL.  That's the beauty of skill sets; hopefully they can improve and expand as one gets older and wiser.  :)

The short time he has had at RB during games this season (as well as in training) will have enhanced his already decent skill set as a winger.  Defensive awareness and responsibilities are sometimes tougher to grab onto for a player who has only ever been asked to go forward not back so the experience of doing so can only help his overall game and understanding.

Pretty sure Vancouver knows what they are getting and what they are wanting to do with Fraser.

All in all, a low-risk move for the Whitecaps that might just end up with a terrific return for player, Club and Country.

Edited by gwsmith63

On 2016-01-23 at 10:52 AM, shermanator said:

That would be up to Aird. Winning and holding the starting 11 spot is a constant battle to play consistently at a high level both offensively and defensively. Jordan is 24 and while a great athlete is kind of worrisome defending. I've also not been impressed with his ball handling. We'll see but Aird at 20 has definitely got a great chance to take the spot.

Smith is on loan to the Caps to the end of 2015 and I've not heard if he has been extended so maybe Saprissa wants too much or plans to take him back. We'll have to see how that works out.

2 hours ago, TRM said:

That would be up to Aird. Winning and holding the starting 11 spot is a constant battle to play consistently at a high level both offensively and defensively. Jordan is 24 and while a great athlete is kind of worrisome defending. I've also not been impressed with his ball handling. We'll see but Aird at 20 has definitely got a great chance to take the spot.

Smith is on loan to the Caps to the end of 2015 and I've not heard if he has been extended so maybe Saprissa wants too much or plans to take him back. We'll have to see how that works out.

I imagine both are on loan as a try out of sorts, whoever impresses more at the end of the season will be the one that is bought.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/02/02/vancouver-whitecaps-commitment-youth-key-convincing-fraser-aird-join-club

And he does have a dark secret for Vancouver fans: his family have been Toronto FC season ticket holders since 2007.

Aird remembers watching Robinson playing for the Reds back in the day, bravely admitting, "I used to shout at him from the stand." 

That was a great interview. It shows how the youth can get inspired by having a local top level pro team to watch. Even if TFC weren't very good they were there and inspired some youth. Great to hear these comments. One has to wonder if the "ignition point" (to coin a phrase from The Talent Code) for Canadian soccer was TFC just being there and playing in the top league in North America.

Interview with him on the Caps sight:

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/post/2016/02/02/aird-reasons-move-vancouver

Edited by TRM