Fraser Aird

Do you think the MNT is starting to hit a critical mass?  We get a fairly big name spanish coach, tesho commits, Larin makes a big splash in MLS, tongues are wagging, maybe even Cavellini coming back into the fold, and now Aird commits.  Maybe a couple of good results in WCQ, a few more guys buy into the canadian program and we get a bump into the hex??  Maybe further?? I LOVE when there are positive stories about guys finally choosing canada.  We ought to hit aird up on twitter with positive re-enforcement.  WOO HOO!!

Yup. This is actually a good idea. We usually care by taking to the stands in attending games and buying Canada and Voyageur merchandise. Some more positive re-enforcement (ie. twitter) sent to players to show our appreciation is pretty cool. Especially in cases like this (and Tesho) where the player is eligible for other national teams and chooses to rep Canada.

...hit aird up on twitter with positive re-enforcement.  WOO HOO!!

...sent to players to show our appreciation...

rrmhi.jpg

For those who have been living in a bubble for the last 5 years and don't know the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUjdiDeJ0xg

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

While good news, my view is that its highly unlikely that the likes of Hoillet, Arfield, and any of the others that can significantly help us right now will not commit until (at least) the Hex...and the problem is that we are likely not good enough to get out of the semi-final group without them....so its a bit chicken and egg unfortunately.

If all our stars align, and we get out of this group we may get some good news with some of those committing for the Hex which would give us a boost especially coupled with some of our young talent having another year or so to grow.

I still think our best chance is Qatar in 2022 and for that reason I am glad that Aird seems to have committed as he might actually be useful by the time qualifying starts in 2019 (along with Tesho, Larin, Aleman, Petrasso, and the many other good young players that we have).

...we are likely not good enough to get out of the semi-final group...

...I still think our best chance is Qatar in 2022...

I'm so tired of this; let's talk about Qatar at the end of November if we get 0 points (and even then I'd rather not talk about it until the end of March).

Visiting Russia > visiting Qatar

I'd rather belive in their current potential.

Very odd that he would be called to the senior MNT and not the U23s... not sure I like that.  

It's a friendly.  And whether you agree with Aird or not on this, Aird has said in the past that the key for him was senior team soccer, so it's not as surprising to see as all that.

• 2 weeks later...

Great article & interview from John Molinaro about Fraser.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/fraser-aird-canada-benito-floro-ghana-world-cup-rangers/

interestingly he mentions that in the past Ally McCoist, and now Mark Warburton have both been supportive of his decision to play for Canada, saying they thought it would be good for his development. He also mentions it was assistant Mike Findley who he's talked to about playing for the CanMNT, not BF. Findley even spoke with Fraser's dad. Also mentions he refused the call up to the 2013 GC because he wasn't sure who he wanted to play for at that point, but now is committed to Canada and hopes to make the WCQ roster in November. Interesting because he obviously doesn't believe he's a lock for every roster.

Why should he believe he's a lock for every roster. Sure, he's got talent and potential, but currently he's riding the pine in the Scottish Championship.

I agree, I don't think Fraser should believe he's a lock for any roster but the way some of the fence sitters have been discussed here in the past, the impression has been that some players believe they're too good for Canada. Fraser obviously sees he has to show well against Ghana to earn a call up in November. It's a sign of modesty that I don't think we're used to.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/13836054.Rangers__Fraser_Aird_has_no_regrets_after_snubbing_Scotland_for_Canada/?ref=mr&lp=14

RANGERS wide man Fraser Aird insists he has no regrets after choosing Canada over Scotland and cannot wait to make his debut.

Aird has opted to accept an invite from Canada to play in a friendly this week against Ghana before they start their World Cup qualifiers next month, despite playing for Scotland's youth teams.

The 20-year-old revealed he received the go-ahead from Ibrox manager Mark Warburton before committing to the North American nation.

Aird said: "I was born in Canada, and I’m Canadian. I grew up for 16 years of my life in Canada. I have Scottish parents and Scottish grandparents, but they decided to move to Canada and have been living there for 20 years, so they’re Canadian, too.

"I did have that choice to play for Scotland and it was tough, but I just thought that maybe I had a better chance to play for Canada – making more appearances and getting into the first team quicker.

"Hopefully this is my foot in the door, and I can establish myself and do well enough for Canada that I can contribute for years to come.

"Canada's assistant coach Michael Findlay spoke to me a few times and spoke to my dad when I was making my decision. He put it out there that Canada wanted me to play for them, and that the team was looking to move forward, and obviously qualify for the World Cup.

"He said they had big plans for the young players, so I was keen and happy to hear about that. I had already made up my own mind that I wanted to play for Canada, but that certainly helped.

"I was called up for the 2013 Gold Cup by Canada, but I wasn’t really set on who I wanted to play for at the time. But as more time went by, I realised I should make my decision sooner rather than later, so I can have a better chance of playing for my country longer.

Promoted stories

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

"I’m 20 now, and I guess you could say I’m a young boy, but as you know, football is such a short career and I really didn’t want to waste any more time. I wanted to make my decision and focus on that one decision, so I wasn’t jumping back and forth between the two.

Share article

"I just thought if I made my decision then hopefully I could get a call up and become a Canadian international as soon as possible, and then continue that and have a good career with Canada.

"Mark Warburton was delighted. He was supportive this year with me going away with Canada. He knows that it’s a good experience for me and that it can only make me better as a player at club level."

• 2 weeks later...

It is nearly 7 week old news, but I don't think anyone picked up on it, as we were all preoccupied with his Canada decision.

Reports from multiple sources claim Aird was a loan target for several English clubs in both league one and the Championship. Among them are Bolton and Sheffield United. It was also mentioned that Rangers were unwilling to sell, perhaps indicating that at least 1 of these clubs wanted a permanent transfer.

I can't copy the link unfortunately, it gets truncated. Here is the first part of the link , at least. http://www.sportsmol

• 2 months later...

Now that it is transfer season again, loan rumours are revived. He hasn't played for Rangers since October. This time it's Barnsley in England and a stay-in-Glasgow option: Partick Thistle.

Why support an Old Firm team when your team can have this mascot:

kingsley_3349680b.jpg

http://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20160115/283450665402678/TextView

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

8 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Talk on twitter is that he is being loaned out to the whitecaps with an option to buy. 

Rangers supporters dont seem to rate him

Interesting news. I wonder the judgment of the Ranger supporters is in part related to Aird's decision to play for us instead of Scotland.

I wonder if Kenny Miller's time in Vancouver played a role in this? I think it would be a fantastic opportunity for Fraser.

think a full season of MLS would really help prepare him to get back into the Rangers squad, because not only is it a good level, but also an environment where he can likley get into the team, especially considering he can play RB (has Vancouver signed one yet?). I think he'd get a real chance at the Whitecaps.

I can imagine him linking back up with Rangers a year later much more prepared to fight for a spot in a team that'll likely be near the top of the SPL on his return.

Or perhaps Vancouver buy him outright!

Edited by Obinna

31 minutes ago, canucklefan said:

Interesting news. I wonder the judgment of the Ranger supporters is in part related to Aird's decision to play for us instead of Scotland.

Possible. They rated him before and now he is not in the team and now they don't rate him. How can you change your rating of a player you can't watch?