Fraser Aird

I realize our player pool is thin, but the excitement that a player who occasionally plays in the Scottish 2nd division generates on here is baffling.

Normally would agree, despite being from Scotland originally, but the club Fraser Aird plays for have the second highest player budget in Scotland and played in the Europa League final in the not too distant past. Think it's reasonable to still see breaking through into their first team as an achievement, but it has to be a concern that only the now departed Ally McCoist appears to have rated him as a prospect.

Early days still, but he hasn't made it onto the bench for league games, which are the main priority for Rangers this season. If that continues then I suspect he will probably fall off the radar a bit as a CMNT prospect, because the new man Warburton, is steering clear of signing big name experienced players unlike his predecessors and is focusing more on building a younger team:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/rangers-boss-mark-warburton-want-6150819

Last year he was a bad year, he managed to stay in the first team squad, in a team with a new manager. New manager believes in hard work so I would think he's made a good impression. But ultimately the test will be staying in the squad after the transfer window has closed

• 1 month later...

For the last couple of years, McCoist played a pretty rigid 4-4-2 formation where Aird (when he was selected/played) would assume one of the wide positions in midfield.

He played well in a number of games, even scoring goals on a team that sometimes had a lot of players shuffling in and out of the two striker spots.  Inconsistency, in both Rangers and Aird's game however, led to a disastrous season last year (even though Rangers lost in the playoff final to Motherwell; they were terrible at times during the regular season) and major changes were on the cards.

With Warburton coming in to take over Rangers the Manager prefers a 4-3-3 setup.  Aird has found himself mainly on the bench and when he has been brought in as a sub he invariably ends up at right back with the chance to use his pace getting down the wing as needed.

Truth be told it's probably been tough for the lad during the goings on at Ibrox and may have gotten lost in the shuffle with so many new players arriving but hopefully he will get the trust of the Manager at some point and go on to a decent career at Rangers or elsewhere for that matter.

gws

Very odd that he would be called to the senior MNT and not the U23s... not sure I like that.  

I am not sure of what to make of it either, especially when you consider the lack of RB options with that group. However, I would prefer to get Arid up to speed with the Senior team as soon as possible if I had to pick one or the other. 

The Honduras match is around the corner and Ledgerwood does not have a clear backup. We have no idea of what's going on with Henry at West Ham (is he injured, is he recovering, will he be ready?) and Hainault, although experienced, is a big question mark for me as a full back right now. Roberts is not ready and Ouimette may be the next best option. Not terrible but i'd like for a guy like Arid to provide a more attacking option than what we'd expect from a guy like Karl. At the very least it would be nice to if he's even CMNT level. The youth teams don't necesarily reveal that: i.e Hamilton vs Larin.

Well BBC is creditable. I am assuming it's for the Ghana match since they also mention Zelalem is called to USA U-23. Did we nail down all three mystery reserves for our Olympic squad? It was Buchard, Aparicio and one more...

Beland-Goyette

Sorry. Already mentioned. 

Edited by shorty