Fraser Aird

Ok the level of MLS might not be quite the level JDG or Hutchinson play (which are only mid-level competitions in Europe), but Johnson is A. younger, which means he can be valuable for the next qualification round and B. he's a crucial piece for Portland.  He is way more impartant for the Timbers than either JDG is for Xanthi or Hutch for Besiktas.

WJ still has some growth in him and he should be an integral part of Floro's plans.

WJ might be part of Floro's plans but it is becoming apparent that playing for Canada is a rapidly shrinking piece of his own plans. There have been several instances since the last WCQs where he has simply declined to play.

WJ might be part of Floro's plans but it is becoming apparent that playing for Canada is a rapidly shrinking piece of his own plans. There have been several instances since the last WCQs where he has simply declined to play.

I have no problem with Will skipping friendlies for playoffs. I imagine most of our MLS players would do the same.

I don't think that Will skipping meaningless friendlies is indicative of anything substantial.  He was at the Gold Cup until he got sick.

Great if he's committed, but I have a healthy dose of cynicism to break through before I get excited.  

Not doubting his intentions, but we've been used more than a few times now in order to get another national team's attention.

FWIW he's told his teammates in Portland that he "doesn't feel Canadian", more American now I think (WJ that is)

How do you not "feel" Canadian? What does that even mean? "Guys I don't like Tim Hortons and I haven't watched the NHL playoffs this year... I don't feel Canadian".  I bet if we were going to the World Cup this summer Will would be jumping the sinking Portland ship at any opportunity for Canada calls and he would feel more Canadian than ever, hell he might even get a Canadian flag tattoo like Jermaine Jones did for the USA.  Funny.

Also to the comment about Will being a key piece for Portland in comparison to Hutch for Beskitas.  Hutchinson is a key piece for his team as well, on the same level that Will is for Portland (there are better players than WJ on that team too).  If Beskitas and Portland were to play in a competitive fixture there would be one outcome.  It's not even a comparison really. 

Love WJ, always have and always will.  He's just been a doucher lately and it's completely obvious that he's distanced himself since the 8-1 loss. WHICH HE WAS A PART OF! "Who me? Oh no, that was those Canadians, I don't even feel Canadian"

And same goes for Aird really.  If we were going to the World Cup the lad would be crying in the papers hoping to get called. 

Edited by Keegan

How have they been disrespectful to CMNT? One guy declined gold cup call up, the other guy showed up and played one game. Am I missing some sort of massive gesture these two guys made that others seem to be outraged about?

How have they been disrespectful to CMNT? One guy declined gold cup call up, the other guy showed up and played one game. Am I missing some sort of massive gesture these two guys made that others seem to be outraged about?

I'm not outraged. I'm just commenting on the fact that citizens of this beautiful country feel all kinds of different ways and can still call themselves Canadian. So not feeling Canadian is an interesting philosophical discussion :D

• 2 weeks later...

How do you not "feel" Canadian? What does that even mean? "Guys I don't like Tim Hortons and I haven't watched the NHL playoffs this year... I don't feel Canadian".  I bet if we were going to the World Cup this summer Will would be jumping the sinking Portland ship at any opportunity for Canada calls and he would feel more Canadian than ever, hell he might even get a Canadian flag tattoo like Jermaine Jones did for the USA.  Funny...

Love WJ, always have and always will.  He's just been a doucher lately and it's completely obvious that he's distanced himself since the 8-1 loss. WHICH HE WAS A PART OF! "Who me? Oh no, that was those Canadians, I don't even feel Canadian"... 

I think it was just a casual comment he makes to his teammates, like "oh you're Canadian, I thought you were American" "yeah, I haven't really lived there so I don't feel it"

• 2 months later...

On the Bears Den Forum the Rangers fans seem to want Aird to be starting. They want him to be the starting right midfielder on a 4-4-2 formation. He is listed as a left midfielder but gets most of his playing on the right because they have a regular starter on the left.

The few who do not like him say he runs around like a chicken with no head and other people like him for his hard work but say that his skills are not polished. He is only 19 so I would not expect his skills to be polished.

Aird got a goal and assisted on two goals against Clyde in the Scottish challenge cup action on Monday. He looked really good and might have earned a starting spot. He is usually a left wing but might see more time at right wing because of Rangers players. He went down injured later in the game, but it seems the injury was not serious and he might play next game.

I apologize if this was posted already:

The CSA has Aird speak at one of their U15 ID camps. 

"Current members of Canada’s Men’s U-20 Team Dylan Carreiro and Fraser Aird also were on hand to speak of their own experiences breaking into the world of professional soccer to the players."

http://canadasoccer.com/canada-soccer-s-latest-u-15-id-camp-concludes-on-a-high-note-p156471

On the Bears Den Forum the Rangers fans seem to want Aird to be starting. They want him to be the starting right midfielder on a 4-4-2 formation. He is listed as a left midfielder but gets most of his playing on the right because they have a regular starter on the left.

The few who do not like him say he runs around like a chicken with no head and other people like him for his hard work but say that his skills are not polished. He is only 19 so I would not expect his skills to be polished.

It makes me smile to imagine a midfield bossed by Osorio, Teibert and Aird; the work-rate would probably be unprecedented for that many Canadian jerseys playing together at once.

• 9 months later...

Interesting flashback to see this message above. Hope Aird gets announced for WCQ tomorrow, nevertheless.

In any case, at least one fan forum can't see him breaking into the first team regularly anytime soon, despite contributing favorably during the Scottish Youth Cup:

"Fraser Aird. Previously covered here, Aird has dropped back to the unders and has made only fleeting appearances on the senior subs’ bench. Aird was a mainstay for over 18 months, be it on the bench or starting, but under McCall he is completely out of the picture."

http://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2015/05/why-these-players-have-no-future-under.html

Interesting flashback to see this message above. Hope Aird gets announced for WCQ tomorrow, nevertheless.

In any case, at least one fan forum can't see him breaking into the first team regularly anytime soon, despite contributing favorably during the Scottish Youth Cup:

"Fraser Aird. Previously covered here, Aird has dropped back to the unders and has made only fleeting appearances on the senior subs’ bench. Aird was a mainstay for over 18 months, be it on the bench or starting, but under McCall he is completely out of the picture."

http://www.ibroxnoise.co.uk/2015/05/why-these-players-have-no-future-under.html

Is the roster release today?

• 2 months later...

Seems Aird played at least a bit RB during preseason friendies and with some youth squads: http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9617-aird-happy-with-full-back-role

Hard to say when/if his chance to be a regular starter will come wih this club at this level this season. Looks like the new gaffer sees him as at least a decent squad player and occasional substitute.

Seems Aird played at least a bit RB during preseason friendies and with some youth squads: http://www.rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/item/9617-aird-happy-with-full-back-role

Hard to say when/if his chance to be a regular starter will come wih this club at this level this season. Looks like the new gaffer sees him as at least a decent squad player and occasional substitute.

I think he was on the bench for the season opener if I remember correct. At least he is there.

I realize our player pool is thin, but the excitement that a player who occasionally plays in the Scottish 2nd division generates on here is baffling.

I dont see much excitement in this thread lately? Just regular discussion like any other player oriented thread.

Edited by king1010