Canada vs. Germany - Friendly, 19 June / Sportsnet ONE at 12.00 ET / 09.00 PT

Mango

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-wnt-announces-roster-for-friendly-in-germany--p154160-preview-1

CANADA

GK- Stephanie Labbé | SWE / KIF Örebro DFF

GK- Erin McLeod | USA / Chicago Red Stars

D- Kadeisha Buchanan | CAN / Toronto Lady Lynx

D- Robyn Gayle | USA / Washington Spirit

D- Rachel Melhado | USA / University of Louisville

D- Carmelina Moscato | USA / Chicago Red Stars

D- Desiree Scott | USA / FC Kansas City

D- Lauren Sesselmann | USA / FC Kansas City

D- Chelsea Stewart | USA / UCLA

D- Rhian Wilkinson | USA / Boston Breakers

D- Emily Zurrer | USA / Seattle Reign FC

M- Kaylyn Kyle | USA / Seattle Reign FC

M- Diana Matheson | USA / Washington Spirit

M- Sophie Schmidt | USA / Sky Blue FC

M- Danica Wu | CAN / Comètes de Laval

F- Mélissa Busque | USA / Seattle University

F- Adriana Leon | USA / Boston Breakers

F- Christine Sinclair | USA / Portland Thorns FC

Two new senior call ups: Busque and Melhado.

A few interesting points from this line up: 1. Rachel Quon is not included. 2. Just cannot understand Herdman's obsession with Zurrer as she has even been benched by the last place Seattle Reign. 3. Still no call up for Summer Clarke. Am pleased with the call up for Labbe, Wu and Leon though.

Guest Future CanWNT

Interesting to see Sinclair is the only experienced striker, no Julien or Filigno. Presumably this means at least one of Leon and Busque will play. Also glad to see Labbe on there. I wonder if that means this is about it for Leblanc. She's getting up there and hasn't played much recently for the national team.

I liked Wu and Sawicky in the midfield during the last world cup. Glad to see Wu in the mix, but I find it strange that Sawicky has disappeared from the scene. Has she "retired"?

Sawicki hasn't been invited to a senior camp since 2011. She also hasn't attended any of the Excel camps either. Right now, she's playing for Highlanders FC: http://www.victoriahighlandersfc.com/teampage.php?squad=3

I'm not sure if she's on Herdman's radar.

A few interesting points from this line up: 1. Rachel Quon is not included. 2. Just cannot understand Herdman's obsession with Zurrer as she has even been benched by the last place Seattle Reign. 3. Still no call up for Summer Clarke. Am pleased with the call up for Labbe, Wu and Leon though.

I hope Labbé gets to play. She has been there when called but only to warm up the bench. Insofar as Zurrer, I dislike her as a player and more so as a person.

Sawicki hasn't been invited to a senior camp since 2011. She also hasn't attended any of the Excel camps either. Right now, she's playing for Highlanders FC: http://www.victoriahighlandersfc.com/teampage.php?squad=3

I'm not sure if she's on Herdman's radar.

Thanks for the update, and for correcting my spelling of her name. I guess I'll look on the bright side and see it as a good sign that there are better players than her in the system.

You know, the first fifteen minutes were pretty good. Then throughout the final half hour of the first half Germany's started to assert itself more and more, and now we're a fair bit of luck and a fair bit of Erin from being down a goal or two.

I mean, Germany's a good team, they're better than us and we all know it, they're at home, this is a game they should win, and it's better than that 5-0 ****show a few years ago. But the start was okay! Aagh!

Canadians aren't pressing at all and when they do go forward in possession they are painfully slow, really lacking paste and aren't attacking collectively. Just a matter of time till Germany scores.

The great Kreskin?

The women link two or three passes together and then end up punting it up the field ... they need to be calmer in possession and quit panicking.

Insofar as Zurrer, I dislike her as a player and more so as a person.
WTH? Why, is she a CSA operative? People can't say she is one of the coaches buddies. He booted her off the team a few years ago and she had to work her way back.

Good to see Labbe back, I thought she had retired from the NT. She was the legit number one for a while. McLeod saves them again, I just caught the last 5 minutes and she made two goal stopping saves and Moscato saved the day on another.

I had to look up Melissa Busque, the name didn't ring a bell.

Sounders Women Bring In Canadian Talent – Melissa Busque

I had to look up Melissa Busque, the name didn't ring a bell.

Sounders Women Bring In Canadian Talent – Melissa Busque

First touch really let her down in the 87th minute (or so). Then subsequently turns around, should have released a pass immediately, but instead, this HUGE hesitation. Not sure you'll be seeing a lot of Busque at this level, I can't imagine she impressed the coaching staff with her time on the pitch.

Guest Future CanWNT
Where is Mallory Outerbridge?

I saw her play with the Fury last year and was very impressed. I'd definitely like to see her get a shot with the NT.

The fact that Germany played 8 U-20 players against hurt a bit more. Duane Rollins had a piece out as to Canada is having unrealistic expectations of Canwnt getting results in 2015.

Before the Olympics last year I thought it would be a miracle for Canwnt to get even get a bronze. And yet they played the tournament of their lives and did get the bronze! So it ain't over till it is really over. That being said, the WWC is a tougher tournament and from what we have seen so far, getting to the SF will be a daunting task. Teams like Australia has young and speedy forward and defender like Sam Kerr and Ford. Canada has yet to find an adequate forward to complement Sinclair. I am not sure if Kara Lang can help at this stage. She is a fighter and I wish her all the luck in the world but she would lack the pace to keep up in 2015. Tanc would have probably scored yesterday on the late set up from Sinc but she too is aging.

Still not comfortable with some of Coach Herdman's decisions. Putting an obviously injured Sess on the pitch was not my favorite move either. Cameron was called out for missing the opportunity against U.S. last time and was not invited back to camp. She has now been waived by Seattle Reign. Will Busque get another call up after that miss yesterday?

We will know how the Canwnt stands against a team that is right on the heels in October and hopefully we will get a better result.

Archived