Canada Branding/Nicknames Spitballing

DigzTFC

So, I've watched almost a decade of Canadian Football. The heartbreaks, the teases and the soul crushing defeats. Along the way we've talked about league design, jersey design, academy structure, formations, lineups, MLS/NASL/CSL expansion etc. All the topics that were relevant a decade ago are still relevant today, yet the product one the field still reflects an ultra conservative approach (1-5-4). My opinion is that we should have a more attacking mentality to our game but for some reason we have the mentality of being the prey rather than the predator despite any level of competition.

My opinion is that we need to have a more domineering mentality. While developing skilled players and goal poachers that can play with that mentality takes time, I feel like the Team Canada brand could be enhanced by a more daunting nickname or image. My idea is to mold the team's brand with a more aggressive nature, specifically, around the Eastern Canadian Red Wolf or RED WOLF for short

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Wolf

The characteristics of a Wolf fits the mentality that I would like our teams to aspire to. It is a calculated predator that works within a pack with precision and tactical awareness and is also highly adaptable to any terrain or climate. I feel adding this element to our national soccer teams would give it some level of differentiation from other teams - nicknames like the leafs, the reds, the canucks etc. These are all used by other teams.

I like the tribal artwork the best as it is easily adaptable. I would like to have them on the sleeves.

http://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-free-stock-image-tribal-wolf-tattoo-image26778946

http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-photos-tribal-tatoo-howl-wolf-tattoo-design-illustration-image30451213

One day I would like to be cheering on our wolves and our young wolves alike.

Nice idea, but if you explain it like this to people "It is a calculated predator that works within a pack with precision and tactical awareness and is also highly adaptable to any terrain or climate." they might hide their kids or hand you an anorak.

Suggest you try "wolves are cool".

Nice idea, but if you explain it like this to people "It is a calculated predator that works within a pack with precision and tactical awareness and is also highly adaptable to any terrain or climate." they might hide their kids or hand you an anorak.

Suggest you try "wolves are cool".

Wow, that avatar is unbelievable. Well done.

Yeah, I mean I like it. And you are right, in a CONCACAF region with nicknames like the Reggae Boys and the Ticos (Los) trying to add a little branding certainly couldn't hurt.

In terms of nicknames, I like The Reds, our current nickname, but in terms of wolf branding, if people accept the idea, and move forward with it, my humble opinion is that I'm fine with the wolf branding.

I edited my above statement. The team would be called the Red Wolves or Red Wolf. You could have tones of fun with the nickname. Wolves of the North. Lone wolf. Senior team are the alphas and junior teams are the betas etc. Just thinking of ways to change our sheepish mentality.

But all of those names developed not as 'brands' but because through conversations in the media and supporters, those nicknames came into being. They became successful because they were attached to emotional highs (or lows) of those national programs when people needed more pronouns to describe the teams they were talking about. "Branding" in a deliberate sense - as a marketing move - in my mind cheapens the relationship supporters have to the team and the reasons why a nickname might emerge; I think its something that responds to a moment, reflecting the team, the emotion, the relationship of supporters to the team. That is how the "Reds/Rouges" developed, its very simple but its used because it connects people in a way that they experienced the connection. Other nicknames can and will emerge but I think they should 'happen' rather than be forced... Just my thoughts.

No fewer than five people were concerned, even opposed to making/selling the beaver shirt at a women's game.

When they conceded that this was going to happen, the conversation repeated itself when they found out I had girls shirts.

Really.

Well the first ever Beaver shirt was made with a girls shirt and worn all day Saturday.

I think we should take that consternation and run with it. It's edgy, controversial and something no one should actually give a crap about. If anyone actually had any deep reactionary opposition and offense to it, tell them it's an opportunity for personal growth and go reflect on something that actually matters.

It's our national little beast.

But all of those names developed not as 'brands' but because through conversations in the media and supporters, those nicknames came into being. They became successful because they were attached to emotional highs (or lows) of those national programs when people needed more pronouns to describe the teams they were talking about. "Branding" in a deliberate sense - as a marketing move - in my mind cheapens the relationship supporters have to the team and the reasons why a nickname might emerge; I think its something that responds to a moment, reflecting the team, the emotion, the relationship of supporters to the team. That is how the "Reds/Rouges" developed, its very simple but its used because it connects people in a way that they experienced the connection. Other nicknames can and will emerge but I think they should 'happen' rather than be forced... Just my thoughts.

Exactly. If we want to change the mentality of the team we need to develop better players and spend the money to hire them good coaches. Leave the cute nicknames and logos to high school sports teams and franchises in American sports leagues.

Archived