Interview mit Christopher Scott of Wacker Burghausen

Fussball_eh

I don't think there will be the same sort of uproar as when the choice is made not to represent Canada by people who are raised in here and who take great advantage from being Canadian then turn their back on the country when it suits them. How it seems to me this guy should choose Germany if he is good enough to make regular appearances for them. Also, I don't have a problem with him eventually deciding to play for Canada (if he is good enough of course) if it becomes clear that playing for Germany isn't going to pan out before he is capped.

I think there are two very different scenarios in cases where there are more than one nationality as an option. Ideally the first choice would be made on which country you were raised in and which country you owe allegiance to the most and then if you are unable to represent them you go down the pecking order. Making the choice based on which will further your own circumstance or have a better chance of winning/playing in the WC is extremely self-serving and sort of goes against the ethos of international competition.

In this way, this Christopher Scott choosing to play for Germany is far different than the plethora of guys choosing not to play for Canada.

I don't think there will be the same sort of uproar as when the choice is made not to represent Canada by people who are raised in here and who take great advantage from being Canadian then turn their back on the country when it suits them. How it seems to me this guy should choose Germany if he is good enough to make regular appearances for them. Also, I don't have a problem with him eventually deciding to play for Canada (if he is good enough of course) if it becomes clear that playing for Germany isn't going to pan out before he is capped.

I think there are two very different scenarios in cases where there are more than one nationality as an option. Ideally the first choice would be made on which country you were raised in and which country you owe allegiance to the most and then if you are unable to represent them you go down the pecking order. Making the choice based on which will further your own circumstance or have a better chance of winning/playing in the WC is extremely self-serving and sort of goes against the ethos of international competition.

In this way, this Christopher Scott choosing to play for Germany is far different than the plethora of guys choosing not to play for Canada.

Agreed, this is no Owen **********. I mean the guy grew up in Germany and lived there all his life!

This kid could find himself in the Vinny Jones situation.

Londoner born and bread, but with strong enough ties for The Welsh to come offering rep colours.

Is it not the duty of the CSA to develop a relationship with this lad, just in case he is overlooked by Germany?

I think it is, hopefully they read my blog :P

This kid could find himself in the Vinny Jones situation.

Londoner born and bread, but with strong enough ties for The Welsh to come offering rep colours.

Is it not the duty of the CSA to develop a relationship with this lad, just in case he is overlooked by Germany?

This MUST be one of the things the CSA does... building relationships on many fronts cannot have a downside.

I also love the fact that he states that all else being equal he would choose Canada.

• 1 month later...

And now Suta is saying he'd play for Germany, then Romania, then Canada in that order. Nice. Sigh. He makes playing for Canada sound like "well, if I have no other choice...I SUPPOSE I'll do it..."

In all honesty, he'll probably never get the chance for any of the 3 teams, but it's still not promising to hear any Canadians give these answers, especially one who has represented us at youth levels already.

And now Suta is saying he'd play for Germany, then Romania, then Canada in that order. Nice. Sigh. He makes playing for Canada sound like "well, if I have no other choice...I SUPPOSE I'll do it..."

In all honesty, he'll probably never get the chance for any of the 3 teams, but it's still not promising to hear any Canadians give these answers, especially one who has represented us at youth levels already.

Yeah, I must say I'm a little surprised the players I interview are so frank about this topic. I mean they know my audience is largely Canadian, yet they are pretty honest about how they feel!

Yeah, I must say I'm a little surprised the players I interview are so frank about this topic. I mean they know my audience is largely Canadian, yet they are pretty honest about how they feel!

I'll give them credit for that at least. But then, until you join bigger clubs, you don't really get used to dealing with the media and the natural new millennium overreaction to everything by the readers who read said media.

You think they be more circumspect at time. More of the " I just want to concentrate on securing my career as a professional etc". type of thing.

Still I have a 12year old convinced he's going to the EPL.

Definitely...

1) You were considered a top Whitecaps prospect. How was the transition from Whitecaps Academy in coming to Europe?

2) What is the difference in competition level from the Academy to reserve squad action in Germany?

3) Some guys like Brody Huitema and others chose the NCAA route. Did you consider that route? What do you think of NCAA in terms of development for young Canadian athletes as compared to moving to Europe

Definitely...

1) You were considered a top Whitecaps prospect. How was the transition from Whitecaps Academy in coming to Europe?

2) What is the difference in competition level from the Academy to reserve squad action in Germany?

3) Some guys like Brody Huitema and others chose the NCAA route. Did you consider that route? What do you think of NCAA in terms of development for young Canadian athletes as compared to moving to Europe

alright, they are good questions, I'll make sure to ask those.

Archived