CANADA vs Costa Rica (R) 28th May 2013 FRIENDLY 5pm PT//6pm MT//8pm ET

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good god. That's terrible! 6 pm shouldn't be an excuse. Blue Jay attendance doesn't seem to drop for 4:30 pm starts versus 7:30 pm starts on a weekday.

And for the first game in Alberta in 5 years! They shouldn't be playing on astroturf for that.

Let's hope we can hear the end whining of never getting Canada games. They've done better at Richardson!

I'm just going to assume this you are being deliberately provocative here, or this is some kind of in-joke that someone like me who doesn't follow these forums too closely has missed. Surely that was a decent crowd given the circumstances.

If that had been an England U23/B level game, which if you consider the number of declined invitations due to Club commitments,is what it could be reasonable to call it, then the FA would have been happy with little more than double that attendance. Only difference is they wouldn't hold a game of that stature at Wembley but rather they would share the love at somewhere like the Madejski Stadium.

All the more reason Clarke needs developing up to 10K or a new build be created in Edmonton to service pro-soccer.

Personally I would be concerned what the WWC2015 will look like for games other than Canada V USA (or another top 6 country).

Had to coach last night so could not make it up to the game. Watched the game later in the evening and it was what it was. Red card to Ledgerwood was a joke and totally unimpressed with the commentators' reaction to the push in the back on him on the CR goal called back. That's a routine call.

Bekker is excellent on dead ball situations but a little worried about the rest of his game. Henry and Morgan are young and the experience can only help them going forward.

Off topic, but what is the latest on Josh Simpson? We surely miss his attacking chops.

I'm just going to assume this you are being deliberately provocative here, or this is some kind of in-joke that someone like me who doesn't follow these forums too closely has missed. Surely that was a decent crowd given the circumstances.

This guy is always on the TFC forums ripping fans that complain about 7pm starts. This is par for the course for him.

6pm is a retarded start time.

Had to coach last night so could not make it up to the game. Watched the game later in the evening and it was what it was. Red card to Ledgerwood was a joke and totally unimpressed with the commentators' reaction to the push in the back on him on the CR goal called back. That's a routine call.

Bekker is excellent on dead ball situations but a little worried about the rest of his game. Henry and Morgan are young and the experience can only help them going forward.

Off topic, but what is the latest on Josh Simpson? We surely miss his attacking chops.

Yes the reffing was poor overall but that goal was correctly called back. It doesn't matter how big the push is, if it directly leads to a goal it is a foul and the goal should be called back.

I agree about Bekker, he is a bit inconsistent on free kick and corner placement but still puts a fair number into good spots which is a big improvement over what we have usually had for Canada, ie. almost no corner or free kick well placed. However, he is really unimpressive during the run of play even though he has some decent technical skills. He doesn't seem to have a good sense of where he should be on the field and how he should get involved in the play nor does he seem to make enough effort to get involved. To be fair he was not played in his best position but he needs to develop a much better soccer knowledge and up his work rate if he is going to become anything for us. Morgan and Henry have their flaws but overall were pretty strong yesterday. I would have like to have seen more of Osorio and Daniel Haber.

Why are we getting Pacheco to fly in from Portugal if we are only going to play him for 2 minutes plus extra time? Especially when he looks pretty good in the few minutes he does get. At 28 he is a player that should be part of the squad for the next WCQ cycle and even if he is just depth with the full squad he should be at least getting a half if not starting with the type of squad we called for this match. And with us behind by one goal why would one not sub him in for JDG who gives us nothing going forward for at least the last 15 or 20 minutes of the game? That is just bad coaching and if I was Pacheco I would be pretty pissed off coming all that distance for 5 minutes on the field.

As for Simpson, he is still rehabbing but Young Boys hope he will be back in the team sometime next season. He has been injured for one year now, the injury happened in May 2012: http://www.bscyb.ch/news-detail.aspx?navi=4&detail=1884&pid=0&filter=32

I agree about Bekker, he is a bit inconsistent on free kick and corner placement but still puts a fair number into good spots which is a big improvement over what we have usually had for Canada, ie. almost no corner or free kick well placed. However, he is really unimpressive during the run of play even though he has some decent technical skills. He doesn't seem to have a good sense of where he should be on the field and how he should get involved in the play nor does he seem to make enough effort to get involved. To be fair he was not played in his best position but he needs to develop a much better soccer knowledge and up his work rate if he is going to become anything for us.

I think his shortcomings are more athletically based: he seems to lack strength and genuine quickness (as opposed to hustle). That's probably what's keeping him out of Nelsen's plans for now, whereas Osorio looks to be a much quicker, aggressive athlete (he also needs to build strength).

Was a tough loss with some dodgy officiating, but it was a blast...thanks to all the V's that met up before at Central Social Hall, and afterwards at Sherlock Holmes' pub...great to meet some new faces and catch up with some old ones...plus, having the media crew and coaching staff show up was sweet too!

Re: PACHECO: I agree - if I was him and came all that way to play 5 minutes in a friendly with that squad I'd be pissed. If we could only make 6 subs (which that was the max) then the guys who travel the furthest surely were being called to play. Whether Miller selected the squad or not. The guys cost a fortune for CSA to get here and then for them to sit on the bench? It's brutal coaching in that regard.

Call 18-20 guys, absolutely. But if anyone was only going to play 5 minutes or so it should be the local young guys.

It looked to me that Ledgerwood did charge the CR player with his head and did make contact. It's not easy to see on the replay but it looked like it. So the RC might have been deserved.

Not impress with Piette on the PK call as well. Hope he'll learn to control his agressivity. Overall, I thought he had a bad game but he's young, so no problem for me there.

REB is an enigmatic player. Clearly a lot of potential but sometimes he should learn when too much dribbling is too much. He could be a real threat in the future if he can sort out his club situation soon.

The whole spectacle was depressing. I have been to many Canada games in Edmonton over the past 25 years and we have regressed. Bless you boys who travel to every game to watch this team but we are poor and getting worse. Further, the CSA couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. Could not get a hot dog or a beer in less than 30 minutes. Pathetic.

The whole spectacle was depressing. I have been to many Canada games in Edmonton over the past 25 years and we have regressed. Bless you boys who travel to every game to watch this team but we are poor and getting worse. Further, the CSA couldn't organize a piss up in a brewery. Could not get a hot dog or a beer in less than 30 minutes. Pathetic.
I didn't know the CSA was in the catering business. I wonder if I can get a good rate from them for my next BBQ, I don't mind waiting a few minutes for a dog and a beer.

It looked to me that Ledgerwood did charge the CR player with his head and did make contact. It's not easy to see on the replay but it looked like it. So the RC might have been deserved.

Not impress with Piette on the PK call as well. Hope he'll learn to control his agressivity. Overall, I thought he had a bad game but he's young, so no problem for me there.

REB is an enigmatic player. Clearly a lot of potential but sometimes he should learn when too much dribbling is too much. He could be a real threat in the future if he can sort out his club situation soon.

Lol. So you are saying Nik aggressively challenged the CR players' hand with his face. FFS. No red card there. Shocking call.

Lol. So you are saying Nik aggressively challenged the CR players' hand with his face. FFS. No red card there. Shocking call.

It may have been our own players fault here. Apparently our players were saying to the ref before he issued the reds "be equal".. WTF? So I'm guessing he was like "...sure? Reds to both".

It may have been our own players fault here. Apparently our players were saying to the ref before he issued the reds "be equal".. WTF? So I'm guessing he was like "...sure? Reds to both".

The red to Ledgerwood was symbolic, the American ref was just calling us a bunch of commies for requesting equality. :P

After receiving the hand in the face (easy RC there IMO). Look at 1:36.

Not a good angle for us and it happened fast but that was right in front of the ref. There's definite contact with the head and it was initiated by Nik L.

Maybe they saw what Nik L. did?

After receiving the hand in the face (easy RC there IMO). Look at 1:36.

Not a good angle for us and it happened fast but that was right in front of the ref. There's definite contact with the head and it was initiated by Nik L.

Well we will have to disagree as that is preposterous. Nik never touched him with his head. He would have been on the ground instantaneously as if hit from the grassy knoll.

Well we will have to disagree as that is preposterous. Nik never touched him with his head. He would have been on the ground instantaneously as if hit from the grassy knoll.

Doesn't make any difference now but just wasted 5 minutes of my time watching this and I have to agree with you Ed.

+1... No way Ledge deserved a RC on the play.

No, serious. Using 6 pm as an excuse? Yet we don't see reduced attendence for 4:30 versus 7:30 games in Toronto?

It just an excuse. I'm tired of excuses about start times.

This guy is always on the TFC forums ripping fans that complain about 7pm starts. This is par for the course for him.
Always? Do we even have any 7pm weekday starts this season? But yes, I've pointed out "fans" using this as an excuse for not going to games before.

Only getting 8,000 fans, and having to play on turf to do it is poor. Should have gone to Saputo instead. I don't think the national team should be playing on turf.

Archived