CANADA vs Costa Rica (R) 28th May 2013 FRIENDLY 5pm PT//6pm MT//8pm ET

VIDEO DOWNLOAD WILL BE AVAILABLE HERE:

http://www.cansoc.org/showthread.php?46470-CANADA-vs-Costa-Rica-28th-May-2013-Friendly-VIDEO&p=486492#post486492

ONLINE Feed(might work or not):

http://atdhe.so/watch.php?id=637235

COMMONWEALTH STADIUM, ALBERTA

6pm KICKOFF (Local Time) 5pm PT//8pm ET

The match, Canada’s first home fixture of the 2013 campaign, will be broadcast nationally in Canada on all four Sportsnet regional channels (Tuesday 28 May, 20.00 ET / 17.00 PT).

The Canada-Costa Rica friendly in Edmonton is part of Canada’s continued preparations for the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup to take place in July. Canada will kick-off the tournament on 7 July against Martinique in Pasadena, CA; will then travel to Seattle, WA for an 11 July fixture against Mexico; and will then close-out the group stage with a match against Panama in Denver, CO on 14 July.

CANADA

GK- Haidar Al-Shaïbani | FRA / Nîmes Olympique

GK- Milan Borjan | TUR / Sivasspor

GK- Simon Thomas | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC

D- André Hainault | SCO / Ross County FC

D- Doneil Henry | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Nik Ledgerwood | SWE / Hammarby Fotboll

D- Ashtone Morgan | CAN / Toronto FC

D- Adam Straith | GER / FC Saarbrücken

M- Kyle Bekker | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Stefan Cebara | SVN / Nogometni Klub Celje

M- Julian de Guzman | GER / SSV Jahn Regensburg

M- Daniel Haber | unattached

M- Issey Nakajima-Farran | CYP / Alki Larnaca

M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC

M- Pedro Pacheco | POR / CD Santa Clara

M- Samuel Piette | GER / Fortuna Düsseldorf

F- Randy Edwini-Bonsu | GER / Eintracht Braunsweig

F- Marcus Haber | ENG / Stevenage FC

F- Tosaint Ricketts | NOR / Sandnes Ulf

COSTA RICA SQUAD

GOALKEEPERS (2): Patrick Pemberton (Alajualense/Costa Rica), Kevin Briceno (Club Sport Uruguay/Costa Rica).

DEFENDERS (6): Michale Umaña (Saprissa/Costa Rica), Pablo Herrera (Club Sport Uruguay/Costa Rica), Jhonny Acosta (Dorados/Mexico), Christopher Meneses (IFK Norrkoping), Jordan Smith (Saprissa/Costa Rica), Kendall Watson (Perez Zeledon/Costa Rica).

MIDFIELDERS (5): Allen Guevara (Alajualense/Costa Rica), Yeltsin Tejada (Saprissa/Costa Rica), Ariel Rodriguez (Alajualense/Costa Rica), Osvaldo Rodriguez (Santos de Guapiles/Costa Rica), Keilor Soto (Perez Zeledon/Costa Rica).

FORWARDS (3): Jairo Arrieta (Columbus Crew), Kenny Cunningham (The Strongest/Bolivia), Alejandro Aguilar (Carmelita/Costa Rica), Yendrick Ruiz (Herediano/Costa Rica).

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No CT? inluded there?? It's 7pm. Way to be a geo-centric nard. That's fine, you'll all be coming here after 2015 when the CSA realizes IG Field is the best stadium for soccer in Canada!!

If there was one time that could complain, it's Mountain Time. After all, they are hosting the game.

Due to the overwhelming amount of emails I have received in regards to the "time zone" situation, All future postings will require everyone to check their local TV Times by themselves....or posting All time zones where one might find a Canadian living even Expats.

Maybe it is time to zone back in on the team. An interesting article on the 11 website:

"Tuesday’s friendly at Commonwealth Stadium is proof that some of those stereotypes are now out of date.

FACT: The Costa Rican Federation requested that the friendly in Canada be played on artificial turf, not grass. The Costa Ricans open the Gold Cup on fake stuff in Portland, and wanted to prepare for it. As more stadiums convert to the fake stuff (and this is just a statement of fact, not a pro-con article about grass vs. turf), more preparatory matches will also be played on turf.

FACT: Edmonton’s airport has undergone a major expansion. There are more direct flights. And the key one is a direct route from Heathrow to Edmonton. Most European-based players can get to London directly. The key is having the direct link to Heathrow, which is something YEG now has. For MLS players, YEG’s expanded airport serves New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston and Seattle directly."

For the rest of the article:

http://the11.ca/2013/05/27/canadian-national-team-edmonton-game-smashes-the-must-play-at-bmo-field-stereotype/

Maybe it is time to zone back in on the team. An interesting article on the 11 website:

"Tuesday’s friendly at Commonwealth Stadium is proof that some of those stereotypes are now out of date.

FACT: The Costa Rican Federation requested that the friendly in Canada be played on artificial turf, not grass. The Costa Ricans open the Gold Cup on fake stuff in Portland, and wanted to prepare for it. As more stadiums convert to the fake stuff (and this is just a statement of fact, not a pro-con article about grass vs. turf), more preparatory matches will also be played on turf.

FACT: Edmonton’s airport has undergone a major expansion. There are more direct flights. And the key one is a direct route from Heathrow to Edmonton. Most European-based players can get to London directly. The key is having the direct link to Heathrow, which is something YEG now has. For MLS players, YEG’s expanded airport serves New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Denver, Minneapolis, Houston and Seattle directly."

For the rest of the article:

http://the11.ca/2013/05/27/canadian-national-team-edmonton-game-smashes-the-must-play-at-bmo-field-stereotype/

Toronto is better option because OUR players prefer grass over fake turf. Plus in CSA POV, they make more money in Toronto than they would in Edmonton (or any other Canadian city for that matter). Also, Toronto has excellent training facilities that CSA uses for free of charge. Also, it easier for other teams to fly to Toronto than Edmonton (think of players coming from Honduras).

These "facts" don't help anti-Toronto crowd point.

Toronto is better option because OUR players prefer grass over fake turf. Plus in CSA POV, they make more money in Toronto than they would in Edmonton (or any other Canadian city for that matter). Also, Toronto has excellent training facilities that CSA uses for free of charge. Also, it easier for other teams to fly to Toronto than Edmonton (think of players coming from Honduras).

These "facts" don't help anti-Toronto crowd point.

Read the whole article for context. Steven Sandor is in Edmonton and he has been speaking to the coach and players over the last few days while they have been in training camp. It seems he might have a better idea what "OUR players" are thinking than someone posting here on the V's board.

Besides this is not, despite your knee jerk reaction, an anti Toronto perspective. It merely says that there is an alternate view to the "must play at BMO" perspective that you seem to personify. I have no problem with games at BMO; I was there for Canada-Panama last fall and I will be there again this weekend to see the CWNT. I am sure it will be a good time. But; there are other cities, other stadiums and other fans outside of TO that support our teams and have come out in big numbers for various events over the last 20 years, and will do so again for WWC 2015.

Read the whole article for context. Steven Sandor is in Edmonton and he has been speaking to the coach and players over the last few days while they have been in training camp. It seems he might have a better idea what "OUR players" are thinking than someone posting here on the V's board.

Besides this is not, despite your knee jerk reaction, an anti Toronto perspective. It merely says that there is an alternate view to the "must play at BMO" perspective that you seem to personify. I have no problem with games at BMO; I was there for Canada-Panama last fall and I will be there again this weekend to see the CWNT. I am sure it will be a good time. But; there are other cities, other stadiums and other fans outside of TO that support our teams and have come out in big numbers for various events over the last 20 years, and will do so again for WWC 2015.

Yeah speaking to some players from Alberta as prove rest of our players don't mind playing in Edmonton is laughable. What do you except them to say?

I don't mind CMNT playing their games all over Canada as long they win, but this whining from anti-Toronto crowd needs to stop. Players in the past made it obvious they don't' want to play on field turf. That and along with CSA friendly deal with MLSE and City of Toronto and free access to TFC training facilities (arguably the best in North America) makes Toronto the ideal place to play their games (given our record, CMNT has played well in Toronto).

Yeah speaking to some players from Alberta as prove rest of our players don't mind playing in Edmonton is laughable. What do you except them to say?

I don't mind CMNT playing their games all over Canada as long they win, but this whining from anti-Toronto crowd needs to stop. Players in the past made it obvious they don't' want to play on field turf. That and along with CSA friendly deal with MLSE and City of Toronto and free access to TFC training facilities (arguably the best in North America) makes Toronto the ideal place to play their games (given our record, CMNT has played well in Toronto).

OK, to recap one more time. There was no whining. There was and is no anti-Toronto crowd forming. I see that these first two points are hard for you to accept so I am typing slowly so that this can sink in. And let's not even get started on what the "players in the past" wanted. In spite of any results they may have achieved at BMO, the most recent group proved incapable of playing well pretty much anywhere else. What the article is saying is that the NT games (men and women) should be played in a variety of Canadian cities, which according to my understanding of geography would include Toronto. But, they should not play ONLY in Toronto. I believe that you already get this, "I don't mind CMNT playing their games all over Canada as long they win," so relax with the anti-Toronto reaction.

It stopped a long time ago. This article is just re-hashing an old debate, not a continuation IMO

OK, to recap one more time. There was no whining. There was and is no anti-Toronto crowd forming. I see that these first two points are hard for you to accept so I am typing slowly so that this can sink in. And let's not even get started on what the "players in the past" wanted. In spite of any results they may have achieved at BMO, the most recent group proved incapable of playing well pretty much anywhere else. What the article is saying is that the NT games (men and women) should be played in a variety of Canadian cities, which according to my understanding of geography would include Toronto. But, they should not play ONLY in Toronto. I believe that you already get this, "I don't mind CMNT playing their games all over Canada as long they win," so relax with the anti-Toronto reaction.

Then you must be blind! During WCQ, there was anti-Toronto crowd on here and blogs whining about Toronto. This being first home game for Canada since WCQ we already got a blogger presenting "facts" on this topic.

It stopped a long time ago. This article is just re-hashing an old debate, not a continuation IMO

That's because we haven't played a home game in a while. Now we got a home game, we got blogger bringing up this issue and trying to present "facts" which is laughable.

I know it is four hours until kick off, but does anyone know of a stream online? The game will not be on the main channels on sportsnet right?

Sportsnet website says game is on all four main channels.

That's because we haven't played a home game in a while. Now we got a home game, we got blogger bringing up this issue and trying to present "facts" which is laughable.

Well, he did actually present some facts. Do you have any inside info from the Costa Rican federation that contradicts what Mr. Sandor reported about their request? And are you suggesting that the airline connections to YEG that he references do not exist? These are facts that can be verified so I don't get what is so laughable. Besides, you don't seem to be laughing anyway; it seems more likely that you are experiencing stress, anxiety and maybe a bit of paranoia if you feel that this is an "anti Toronto" crusade. Like Bertuzzi 44 rightfully points out, most of us are beyond that.

Anyways, feel free to continue to hold tightly onto your preconceived beliefs if you wish. I am off to get in some pre game socializing before today's game NOT being played in Toronto. If you wish, I will happily buy you a couple beers on Sunday at Gossip prior to the game that IS being played in Toronto. It's all good no matter what Canadian city Les Rouges are playing in.

Well, he did actually present some facts. Do you have any inside info from the Costa Rican federation that contradicts what Mr. Sandor reported about their request? And are you suggesting that the airline connections to YEG that he references do not exist? These are facts that can be verified so I don't get what is so laughable. Besides, you don't seem to be laughing anyway; it seems more likely that you are experiencing stress, anxiety and maybe a bit of paranoia if you feel that this is an "anti Toronto" crusade. Like Bertuzzi 44 rightfully points out, most of us are beyond that.

Who cares what Costa Rican want! That's my point here! It should matter what WE want.

As for airport fact, I already said what about players coming from other parts of CONCACAF region (like Honduras)? Toronto is easier for them to come and play against national team compare to Edmonton. That was my point!

Who cares what Costa Rican want! That's my point here! It should matter what WE want.

As for airport fact, I already said what about players coming from other parts of CONCACAF region (like Honduras)? Toronto is easier for them to come and play against national team compare to Edmonton. That was my point!

Easy, Brampton! He's just saying that players from everywhere have more options for DIRECT flight to their airport and turf cauldron.

No offense Eddies. I want you to have a sweet natural grass facility to enjoy ASAP.

Well to follow your logic then: We go from, "Who cares what Costa Rica(n) sp? want!", to "what about players coming from other parts of CONCACAF region (like Honduras)?"

Seriously?? Who cares about what the Hondurans want!! Especially the Hondurans, FFS.

Are you going to be in attendance on Sunday at the game being played in BMO field or not?? If not, then I guess it doesn't really matter to you where the games are played if you don't attend them anyway. If yes, then I will see you there with a cold one. Relax, don't worry, be happy and whatever else happens, ALWAYS support your National team wherever they play.

Easy, Brampton! He's just saying that players from everywhere have more options for DIRECT flight to their airport and turf cauldron.

No offense Eddies. I want you to have a sweet natural grass facility to enjoy ASAP.

Yes that would be nice. We had that once and now it is gone from Commonwealth. Step backward IMHO.

The way I see it the CSA gave the game to Edmonton for 2reasons:

1 - Colin Miller as interim coach, not travel required etc.

2 - To show Mayor and Staff of Edmonton that the CSA cares about the game in Edmonton, so get the checkbook out and build a nice little soccer stadium. Smart on CSA part as it is not a big game for us while it gives the impression that CSA might bring more games out West in the future. Provided there is an adequate stadium to play in.

Archived