Canadians abroad: May 17-23, 2013

DJT

He was never prolific to begin with, or good on the ball. He has speed, and that's about it.

I remember that he seemed to have a successful trial at Dynamo Dresden in 2. BL and wasn't signed due to his Romanian club not releasing him. This gave me high hopes for his career and it had been on the upswing for a while; NCAA to Finland, then to a strong Romanian club at the time. I've mentioned before that I was coaching in his age group in Alberta when he was a kid (U-16 to U-18) and never thought he'd be a kid to get an NCAA scholarship, let alone make a living at the game. He just seemed to keep improving. But he's certainly stagnated in the last year or so.

Oh, I know, it's just amazing (and a little sad) that he got so many minutes in the last round of WCQ with better options sitting on the bench. I think he was "aided" (and the team hurt) by the fact that his club situation had been in such turmoil these past 2 years that we didn't get a clear look at what he could do at a level higher than the Romanian 2nd division. Had he been playing regularly at a reasonable level, it may have become more clear, earlier, that he should not be starting for the MNT.

Well, I was never particularly impressed. But I don't think that there were great options on the bench, at least not in the end with OO suspended, and De Ro injured. In that moment, anyhow, I think he wasn't the worst choice. He does have a bit more strength at holding up the ball, than Simeon. But as the post above me states, he has definitely regressed.

Well, I was never particularly impressed. But I don't think that there were great options on the bench, at least not in the end with OO suspended, and De Ro injured. In that moment, anyhow, I think he wasn't the worst choice. He does have a bit more strength at holding up the ball, than Simeon. But as the post above me states, he has definitely regressed.

How has he regressed? He's 26 years old. He has never played at a good level to begin with and he is getting minutes in the Norwegian first division. He is what he is, a speedy player with limited technical ability. Anyone who has watched him knows he HAS improved over the years, most definitely and even his club coaches can attest to that and have in interviews. He still isn't at a good technical ability and probably never will be but he'll be a fixture for Canada over the next years because he is getting minutes at a good level and he's 26. Canada unfortunately isn't at a point to ignore Ricketts and I imagine the rest of his career will be filled with mixed emotions from Canadian supporters depending on when he scores a goal....

How has he regressed? He's 26 years old. He has never played at a good level to begin with and he is getting minutes in the Norwegian first division. He is what he is, a speedy player with limited technical ability. Anyone who has watched him knows he HAS improved over the years, most definitely and even his club coaches can attest to that and have in interviews. He still isn't at a good technical ability and probably never will be but he'll be a fixture for Canada over the next years because he is getting minutes at a good level and he's 26. Canada unfortunately isn't at a point to ignore Ricketts and I imagine the rest of his career will be filled with mixed emotions from Canadian supporters depending on when he scores a goal....

He's getting minutes right now, but I can't see that continuing if he scores 1 or 2 goals in the first half of the season. His team is one of the worst in Norway top flight, and may get relegated. Even Canada may not give minutes to a bench player on a bad Norwegian team, maybe even a 2nd division team. I sincerely hope I'm way off and he goes on a tear ... But I think it's only a matter of time until he loses PT.

He's getting minutes right now, but I can't see that continuing if he scores 1 or 2 goals in the first half of the season. His team is one of the worst in Norway top flight, and may get relegated. Even Canada may not give minutes to a bench player on a bad Norwegian team, maybe even a 2nd division team. I sincerely hope I'm way off and he goes on a tear ... But I think it's only a matter of time until he loses PT.

Relax, as long as we have room for a guy playing in the second Swedish tier, I don't think Tosaint has anything to worry about.

IMO, Norway's a great place for him, as long as he can get settled this season.

Of course he's good there. Maybe pinch in a few goals, get settled in the league and maybe transfer to a bigger club. Who ever said Ricketts was a topnotch goalscorer? And he's fine with the Men's team, as long as there aren't any better strikers available.

Archived