Canadians abroad: May 17-23, 2013

DJT

Guidelines for this thread

• In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for May 17-23, 2013.

• If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

• If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

• Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

De Jong came on in minute 89 of Augsburg's crucial 3-1 victory over Greuther Furth which saved Augsburg from relegation and combined with Dusseldorf losing even got them above the relegation playoff spot. Greuther Furth and Dusseldorf are relegated while the team with money and no fans, Hoffenheim, will play and hopefully lose to Kaiserslautern in the playoff. Augsburg seems good at saving itself from relegation at the last minute.

If you missed it this AM, and I'm quite sure most on here did, Ross County played spoilers for Inverness' Europa dreams in the Highland derby on a pretty sweet right footer by Andre Hainault.

Short cross found Hainault to the keepers right about 12 yard out. Had to stretch back just a wee bit to snap-shot perfectly back across goal, through traffic and under the bar into the corner. Nice piece of unexpected skill and great optics. Very dramatic.

Inverness lose 1-nil on a must win as St Johnstone beat Motherwell to leap-frog Inverness into third place and a Europa league qualifier.

Cyprus

Ol. Nicosia 4 - 2 Alki Larnaca (Issey)

Germany

Munich 1860 3 - 0 Aalen

Rob Friend played 90 and assisted on the second goal.

Dresden 3 - 1 Regensburg

De Guzman went the distance.

Ingolstadt 0 - 3 Köln

McKenna was not in the squad.

Sweden

Osters 2 - 3 AIK

Stamatopoulos started in the win.

Turkey - playoffs

2nd half

Konyaspor 0 : 1 Bucaspor (Nsaliwa)

Tam starting for Bucaspor

Elazigspor 0 - 0 Sivasspor

Borjan not in the squad, I presume he had the day off

Uruguay

2:30 pm

Juventud (Cavallini) v Progreso

If you missed it this AM, and I'm quite sure most on here did, Ross County played spoilers for Inverness' Europa dreams in the Highland derby on a pretty sweet right footer by Andre Hainault.

Short cross found Hainault to the keepers right about 12 yard out. Had to stretch back just a wee bit to snap-shot perfectly back across goal, through traffic and under the bar into the corner. Nice piece of unexpected skill and great optics. Very dramatic.

Inverness lose 1-nil on a must win as St Johnstone beat Motherwell to leap-frog Inverness into third place and a Europa league qualifier.

Oh I was up early and caught it. Good job and good timing for him.

Farewell for Randy Edwini-Bonsu:

http://www.eintracht.com/eintracht/aktuelles/news/mannschaft/einzelansicht.html?news=10606&cHash=7f6566de4b897601e92db3aa2d4c0293

The text says nothing new, short summary of the Eintracht career of every player leaving (it is kinda said, though, that the only highlight they could think of for Randy was the friendly against Werder).

That kinda sums it up, doesn't it? The fact his trial with Offenbach appears to have been unsuccessful is concerning to me.

Juventud de las Piedras 3 - 2 Club Atlético Progreso

Brace for Cavallinni

Wow, he's having his breakthrough season down there. Canada can use all the strength it can get upfron.

Maybe Daniel Haber also deserves a look. He's scored is second goal in 3 (sub-) matches in Israels play-offs. Got this from Steven Sandor, the information is not yet up on soccerway (it shows that he scored, but not how many minutes he played).

1. like every player, he needs to be capped asap

2. He's off now, the season is over but he's in good form

3. maybe he can be part of the longterm solution and provide for a striking option that can exceed the 2. Bundesliga- / Championship-level the Canada strikers have today.

That kinda sums it up, doesn't it? The fact his trial with Offenbach appears to have been unsuccessful is concerning to me.

There is at least some hope still, since so far the comment about him having a bad trial came from the Offenbach press.

He could play at this level - in the 2. Bundesliga games against Rostock and Fürth last season he didn't look out of place. Since then he has either lost confidence or is just very inconsistent, though.

Was at the promotion celebration today, can report Randy wore party glasses :D (that qualifies as news, right?)

Ricketts started at striker and played 75 minutes.

I hope it's just a bad stretch, but it seems to be becoming increasingly obvious at what level Ricketts is ... he's now got 1 goal in roughly 800 minutes in Norway; not exactly tearing it up in a league that is mediocre.

I hope it's just a bad stretch, but it seems to be becoming increasingly obvious at what level Ricketts is ... he's now got 1 goal in roughly 800 minutes in Norway; not exactly tearing it up in a league that is mediocre.

He was never prolific to begin with, or good on the ball. He has speed, and that's about it.

He was never prolific to begin with, or good on the ball. He has speed, and that's about it.

Oh, I know, it's just amazing (and a little sad) that he got so many minutes in the last round of WCQ with better options sitting on the bench. I think he was "aided" (and the team hurt) by the fact that his club situation had been in such turmoil these past 2 years that we didn't get a clear look at what he could do at a level higher than the Romanian 2nd division. Had he been playing regularly at a reasonable level, it may have become more clear, earlier, that he should not be starting for the MNT.

Archived