Why a fully open ... Voyageurs Cup is needed to grow the game...

As a long-term goal that would be great, but for logistical reasons/the CSA's incompetence it might be more realistic to start with just the Challenge Cup winner.  Then by playing in the Sask. cup or whatever it is, you can say that technically you were in the lower rungs of V-Cup qualifying.

You're probably right about the amateur champs beating the best-ranked Canadian PDL team, but might as well include them just to have a true FA Cup style tournament that every team could hypothetically enter

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

L’Impact contre CSMRO en 2016?

http://www.la90eminute.com/limpact-contre-csmro-en-2016/

Translated using Google:

The process begins: it may well be that new teams to participate in the Amway Canadian Championship in the near future. Thus, in 2016 perhaps, the Impact could begin cutting the competition against a club like ... Griffons Mount Royal Outremont.

A request was made by the federations of Quebec and Ontario in the Canadian Soccer Association to incorporate the Canadian semi-professional champion in the competition.

We know that last fall, the Longueuil, CS champion of the First Soccer League Quebec (PLSQ) faced the Academy Toronto FC League Champion 1 of Ontario, home series. This competition could be used in the future, qualification for the Amway Canadian Championship.

"British Columbia has shown a high degree of interest in developing a semi-pro league also, so it could be the winner of a round robin between the three, like what was done last year, "said Patrick Esparbès, general manager of the FSQ, during a recent interview with The 90th minute.

"Demand has been officially filed with the ACS, with a letter signed by the two Presidents (FSQ and OSA). Victor Montagliani (CSA President) has confirmed that it is not against the idea. It remains to propose formats to get there. "

According to what we read in some Anglo-Canadian discussion forums, according to some rumors, the CSA consider expanding the competition in 2016, taking into account the fact that the three Canadian clubs in MLS will have USL-Pro teams this year.

It remains to see how many teams, exactly, could be added, and what form it would take all.

"The pro committee of the ACS will address this issue then, said Esparbès. Nobody said no, but everyone at the Canadian Association understands that it would be common sense to do so. "

The Amway Canadian Championship would then take a look that is more like what we see in Europe where regularly surprise the minnows of tenors, creating a lot of interest among supporters.

No doubt the rematch of 3 March between the Impact and Pachuca generate interest, but a duel between the Impact and Mount Royal Outremont, first thing in the competition would not be devoid of spice either .

L’Impact contre CSMRO en 2016?

http://www.la90eminute.com/limpact-contre-csmro-en-2016/

Translated using Google:

The process begins: it may well be that new teams to participate in the Amway Canadian Championship in the near future. Thus, in 2016 perhaps, the Impact could begin cutting the competition against a club like ... Griffons Mount Royal Outremont.

A request was made by the federations of Quebec and Ontario in the Canadian Soccer Association to incorporate the Canadian semi-professional champion in the competition.

We know that last fall, the Longueuil, CS champion of the First Soccer League Quebec (PLSQ) faced the Academy Toronto FC League Champion 1 of Ontario, home series. This competition could be used in the future, qualification for the Amway Canadian Championship.

"British Columbia has shown a high degree of interest in developing a semi-pro league also, so it could be the winner of a round robin between the three, like what was done last year, "said Patrick Esparbès, general manager of the FSQ, during a recent interview with The 90th minute.

"Demand has been officially filed with the ACS, with a letter signed by the two Presidents (FSQ and OSA). Victor Montagliani (CSA President) has confirmed that it is not against the idea. It remains to propose formats to get there. "

According to what we read in some Anglo-Canadian discussion forums, according to some rumors, the CSA consider expanding the competition in 2016, taking into account the fact that the three Canadian clubs in MLS will have USL-Pro teams this year.

It remains to see how many teams, exactly, could be added, and what form it would take all.

"The pro committee of the ACS will address this issue then, said Esparbès. Nobody said no, but everyone at the Canadian Association understands that it would be common sense to do so. "

The Amway Canadian Championship would then take a look that is more like what we see in Europe where regularly surprise the minnows of tenors, creating a lot of interest among supporters.

No doubt the rematch of 3 March between the Impact and Pachuca generate interest, but a duel between the Impact and Mount Royal Outremont, first thing in the competition would not be devoid of spice either .

Does anyone in the CSA have the common sense to allow this ASAP. It will also help the growth of our 2 semi-pro divisions in Ontario and Quebec knowing the Champion of the semi-pro finals has a crack at a D2 team and the possiblilty of D1.

I don't think any team affiliated with a D1 or D2 should be allowed to participate. If they are allowed, TFC could posssibly have 3 teams...D1 TFC, USL Pro TFC 2, and L1O TFC Academy....doesn't seem right. The primary team should be the only team allowed to participate. If TFC Academy were to win the Championship between Quebec and Ontario, the runner up should represent D3.

Agreed, using the B teams to pad the numbers doesn't seem right.

EDIT: how about this:

Qualifying round (2 teams):

Inter-Provincial Cup winner vs. Challenge Cup winner

8th final (8 teams):

Qualifying round winner

5 PDL teams

2 NASL teams

Quarter final (6 teams):

4 winners from previous round

2 MLS teams

Semi final (4 teams)

3 winners from previous round

Defending champion (bye)

So the defending champion wouldn't actually play any more games than they do now, and the other 2 MLS teams (assuming it's an MLS team) and the 2 NASL teams just get bumped down a round.  Make it work CSA!

• 5 months later...

Lots of ways this could happen. I would prefer that the CSA use the branding of the Voyageurs Cup all the way down to the adult grassroots level, perhaps calling it the Amway Canadian Championship - Voyageurs Cup or something like that, so not only do people know it's the national championship but also it keeps our name in the competition front and center. This isn't perfect, and a marketing guru would look at it and faint, but you get the idea.

If each province makes their adult provincials a season-long FA Cup style tournament with the national branding, it would connect the everyday house-leaguer to the competition and raise awareness.

Hey folks, I'm looking to start supporters groups in markets where the NASL or C-league could potentially end up.  We have to field of dreams this shit.  Anyone crazy enough to think it'll work, or who's fed up with the state of the Canadian Domestic league(or lack thereof) and actually wants TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, add me on facebook and lets get this ball rolling.  

Guillermo del Quarto is the name

O Canada Bitch

Hey folks, I'm looking to start supporters groups in markets where the NASL or C-league could potentially end up.  We have to field of dreams this shit.  Anyone crazy enough to think it'll work, or who's fed up with the state of the Canadian Domestic league(or lack thereof) and actually wants TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, add me on facebook and lets get this ball rolling.  

Guillermo del Quarto is the name

O Canada Bitch

I believe there's a Hamilton group getting together. First it was for the proposed NASL team. Now not sure, but if there's a C-League, I'm sure they'll still be around, and growing with support.

Lenarduzzi on team 1040 compared the voyageurs cup to the US open cup yesterday and said he and Joey have brought up making it an open championship.

I'd love this. And it's a great thing to have two prominent people running (owning) their clubs wanting to push for it. Looking forward to seeing what the next 5 years brings for the Canadian footy landscape.

The title of this thread is: "Why a fully open ... Voyageurs Cup is needed to grow the game...".

But do we still need to grow the game? The game is doing fine in Canada. Its well attended. What we need are players who can play and how does expanding the v-cup address that?

The game is doing mediocrely.  Expanding V-cup allows for smaller teams to potentially play the big three(MLS), which could help drum up support for soccer in those cities, potentially leading to more NASL/MLS/C-league franchises, which we all are in favour of.  At least I thought that was the main point of this website.  

The game is doing fine, I guess.  But personally I'd like to see Canada do at least as well as say.. Sweden.  That seems like a fair comparable.  No one thinks we'll be the next brazil, but Sweden seems like a lofty, yet somehow reasonable goal that we could set.  We're similar culturally, and they actually have quite a bit smaller of a population than we do.  Plus we already have the built in hockey rivalry with them.  Make it so!  

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think so. It would mean less games for them

In theory MLS clubs could play fewer Voyageurs Cup games in the current tournament format by making each round single match.

Converting the tournament from pro-club-only to open is a significant change. Yes, it might mean fewer matches for MLS clubs, but it also might mean MLS clubs playing away matches at amateur grounds.

CS Longueuil versus Vancouver Whitecaps, anyone?

• 2 months later...

The title of this thread is: "Why a fully open ... Voyageurs Cup is needed to grow the game...".

But do we still need to grow the game? The game is doing fine in Canada. Its well attended. What we need are players who can play and how does expanding the v-cup address that?

The game is doing fine in Canada?  With five professional teams and a ranking in the hundreds, I don't see how the game is doing fine.

Some people feel that "in Canada", you mean my local MLS market, and by "fine", you mean I have an MLS team in my market.

If there's no team in Hamilton (a city to which I have no connection) then the game is not doing fine.  (Good luck, by the way)

I don't even think the game of hockey is doing fine in Canada, but that's a whole other can of worms.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am very interested in what it means by fully open.

I know with KW United the owners have been really disappointed with the way that the transition from PDL to L1O is being handled. They have felt very forced to conform, and on short timelines. They have mentioned a lack of communication, something that the Footy Soldiers have also mentioned, that they haven't been included in the discussion.

Archived