Provincial flags for marches in Seattle and Denver

I thought it might be fun for people who are traveling to Seattle and Denver (or maybe in the future even for games in Canada or elsewhere) to add provincial flags to the march. The Saskies have had a provincial flag at many games recently, but I thought it might make a cool spectacle and also show the diversity of representation at these matches from around the country. If you are interested and wouldn't mind bringing a provincial flag to the games in Seattle and Denver, please post it in this thread. I might have to mug Lars to get his SK flag, but I will bring it (or a reasonable facsimile) to both Seattle and Denver.

I suppose other flags (from towns, cities, municipalities etc ... even soccer clubs) might be interesting to add to the mix, but for right now a good start would simply be flags from Provinces and Territories.

Flag Bearers for Seattle/Denver

Finch - NL

Rob - SK

Zeelaw - ON

Smiddy - BC

Madmonte - AB (Denver only)

Tarnado - AB (Seattle)

Califax - NS (Califax will provide the flag and someone else will fly it)

Tarrius - NB (If he can make it out west for a game ... all dependent on upcoming grad gift).

What sizes?

Hmm ... never thought of that, but my initial reaction is smaller than the really big Vs flags and slightly smaller than regular sized Canadian flags (don't remember the dimensions of those) but slightly larger than the small Vs flag I got in Toronto in September. Large enough to make a good show but not so large as to steal the show from the main event. It is a Canadian team we are supporting so that should be the focus. I thought a bit of provincial/territorial representation would be a nice little sideline.

Edit: I will look into it and post something so everyone can have a standard unless you (or someone else) has a suggestion and knows about flag dimensions for provincial flags. The maple leaf flag has unusual dimensions, does it not? Not sure about the provincial flags. Will google it tomorrow ... time for bed tonight.

My main concerns are:

1) the flags should be as near as possible the same size, for obvious reasons.

2) the flags should be handy enough that we'll have no problems getting them and whatever we use to wave them into any stadium in Canada and the United States.

My main concerns are:

1) the flags should be as near as possible the same size, for obvious reasons.

2) the flags should be handy enough that we'll have no problems getting them and whatever we use to wave them into any stadium in Canada and the United States.

4' X 6' with a broom handle? Any red flags with those details (ha). Looks like 4x6 is an easy size to get and hopefully isn't too big. I think 2X3 would be too small.

4' X 6' with a broom handle? Any red flags with those details (ha). Looks like 4x6 is an easy size to get and hopefully isn't too big. I think 2X3 would be too small.

3x5 isn't bad either. I've got an NS one if we dont get around to buying a whole set before then.

Cal

3x5 isn't bad either. I've got an NS one if we dont get around to buying a whole set before then.

Cal

Yes I think that would be a fine size as well. I'm sitting at work underneath my Vs one now and it is 2X3. I think anything slightly bigger (either 3X5 or 4X6) would be perfect. Anything larger would be a bit too much and would compete for space with the other flags.

You making the trip for the Gold Cup? Didn't see you on the roll call thread.

I found a place in Calgary that would do provincial/territorial flags for under $5 each. Not sure about the quality ... but then again, you wouldn't be too disappointed about it getting destroyed either. I could simply get a set of 13 printed and have them on hand for people to use.

OTOH I think there is something about having a piece of memorabilia that makes it to each game you go to and having people arranged to meet up and fly them. I know Lars looks at his SK flag that way, hence the reason I'm not sure he'll let me take it to the GC games ... might have to ask him super nicely.

If people are willing to commit to bringing flags from their provinces (loosely speaking right now we might have participation from SK, AB, ON, NS, and BC ... not a bad start at all) I might edit the lead post and do a running list of who's bringing which flag to which game.

Ultimately, it would be interesting if little things like this would evolve up to the WWC in 2015 as I think the marches could be epic.

4' X 6' with a broom handle?

BIG red flag: you cannot use "broom handles" in any soccer stadium I am aware of in North America. Solid wood or metal handles are totally verboten. What you want is a 5' length of 1/2" PVC pipe you can usually find in an off-cut bin at a hardware store. PVC pipe is light, hollow and far less likely to be confiscated as a weapon.

You making the trip for the Gold Cup? Didn't see you on the roll call thread.

I'm not, but I'm glad to pass along what I have to someone who is going. I will be in Baltimore should the Quarter finals take us there.

There are some cheap flag shops on Spadina Road here in Toronto 10 bucks each ready to go; so slightly more. But I think this is wonderful idea. Hard to believe that we've been doing marches for so long without them.

BIG red flag: you cannot use "broom handles" in any soccer stadium I am aware of in North America. Solid wood or metal handles are totally verboten. What you want is a 5' length of 1/2" PVC pipe you can usually find in an off-cut bin at a hardware store. PVC pipe is light, hollow and far less likely to be confiscated as a weapon.

Good to know. I was thinking more of the broom handle I got in Sept (I think it was PVC) ... unfortunately I didn't bring it home on the plane so I don't remember ... pretty sure it was some kind of plastic.

Might be easier for one person to deal with the flag poles too. I am driving the entire distance so won't have to worry about taking difficult items on the plane. Not sure how much room I will have, but 10 or 13 short pvc flag poles should be easy to fit in.

I'm curious if anyone knows what the 'rules' are going to be for the supporter's section. There must be lots of ppl from Vancouver who have been in the supporter's section in Seattle and know what they historically have allowed in. If anyone knows please chime in. It would suck to get a thing organized and then lose all the gear at the gate.

Absolute cheapest thing to do is go to the dollar store and buy the lightweight epoxy broom handles.

Not wood, not metal, $1

I am currently trying to source 1000 of them for June 2nd.

I use a metal broom handle for my flag at BMO.

Absolute cheapest thing to do is go to the dollar store and buy the lightweight epoxy broom handles.

Not wood, not metal, $1

I am currently trying to source 1000 of them for June 2nd.

... and they were very light but sturdy and durable IIRC. Will have to check that out. 13 of those would take up very little space in my toaster mobile. Now to get people to volunteer to be flag bearers.

Had a confirmation for a flag so I will start a list on the first post of the thread to keep track. If you want to commit to bringing another. let me know and I will add you. Would be pretty cool to get all the provinces represented. Tougher to get the territories IMHO.

Well if Yukon Mike is making the trip that nails at least one of the three 'hard to gets'. Is there a single Voyageur on this entire forum from Nunavut???

That would be cool. Still waiting for a Alta, BC, or Que individual to step up and I KNOW there are ppl coming from those provinces.

That would be cool. Still waiting for a Alta, BC, or Que individual to step up and I KNOW there are ppl coming from those provinces.

ON IT just found a 3x5 Alberta flag on e-bay, but I'm only going to Denver, bro, not Seattle! That ok?

Archived