Impact of Gold Cup on MLS

Cyrus

So, once again, we have a Gold Cup smack in the middle of an MLS season. It's a 22 day tournament, and right now I'm only trying to consider the effect on the Impact. Anyone selected will miss 4 games, maybe more depending on length of camp.

I decided to put this in the MLS instead of Men's National, since members of multiple national programs are going to be taken from our MLS teams.

I have to assume that Patrice Bernier will be on the Canadian roster, but Perkins doesn't seem to be on the US national team's radar lately.

Anyone else I should know about? And what's the effect on TFC and the Caps?

For TFC: Morgan, Dunfield (if healthy), Bekker, Osorio and Henry will get the call if Canada wants young (Outside of Dunfield) roster mix with better experience players like DeRo. I can see Dunfield being part of the camp, but not sure if he will make it to the final roster for Gold Cup.

For Whitecaps: Only Russell Teibert will be called up.

For TFC: Osorio will get the call if Canada wants young (Outside of Dunfield) roster mix with better experience players like DeRo.

Has Osorio seen a lot of time at the younger levels of the CMNT? I've only ever seen him play CSL prior to coming on with the reds.

For TFC: Morgan, Dunfield (if healthy), Bekker, Osorio and Henry will get the call if Canada wants young (Outside of Dunfield) roster mix with better experience players like DeRo. I can see Dunfield being part of the camp, but not sure if he will make it to the final roster for Gold Cup.

For Whitecaps: Only Russell Teibert will be called up.

Even if Canada wants young there is no way they are calling 5 TFC players. I'm gonna put the max of TFC players called at 3, but hopefully for the CMNT and TFC's sake it's just 2... Morgan and Dunfield. I don't think now is the time to experiment now that this Gold Cup means something. I don't think you can make a case for either Bekker or Henry with their playing time this year, though the latter has had a few decent appearances the past couple weeks.. but the two haven't shown well for Canada in their past couple appearances as well. Does Henry deserve a call over Ouimette at this point? I don't see how. Osorio deserves a call to the Costa Rica match and then let's take it from there.

If you look at defenders... Jakovic, Attakora, Hainault, Edgar, De Jong, Morgan, Ledgerwood, Klukowski there doesn't seem to be a spot for Henry without an injury.

Even if Canada wants young there is no way they are calling 5 TFC players. I'm gonna put the max of TFC players called at 3, but hopefully for the CMNT and TFC's sake it's just 2... Morgan and Dunfield. I don't think now is the time to experiment now that this Gold Cup means something. I don't think you can make a case for either Bekker or Henry with their playing time this year, though the latter has had a few decent appearances the past couple weeks.. but the two haven't shown well for Canada in their past couple appearances as well. Does Henry deserve a call over Ouimette at this point? I don't see how. Osorio deserves a call to the Costa Rica match and then let's take it from there.

If you look at defenders... Jakovic, Attakora, Hainault, Edgar, De Jong, Morgan, Ledgerwood, Klukowski there doesn't seem to be a spot for Henry without an injury.

do you really want Jakovic in his current form?

No way those two should be in the squad over Henry. Those 5 players aren't playing a lot with TFC as much so I can see TFC open to letting 4 or 5 players go to CMNT. Plus, MLS has a break during first week and half of Gold Cup tournament. So TFC shouldn't have a problem letting 4 or 5 players go.

I hope this upcoming squad will be mix with quality experience players (like DeRo, Hutch, De Guzman not players like Klukowski and Dunfield) and young players (Morgan, Osorio, Henry and perhaps Bekker).

Bekker looked okay in one of his Canada appearances. But he has looked completely out of his depth so far for TFC. I don't think he needs to be pushed to become a part of the MNT quite yet. And for me, Morgan has all but played himself out of consideration for the near future. Needs to get things figured out quick.

No way those two should be in the squad over Henry. Those 5 players aren't playing a lot with TFC as much so I can see TFC open to letting 4 or 5 players go to CMNT. Plus, MLS has a break during first week and half of Gold Cup tournament. So TFC shouldn't have a problem letting 4 or 5 players go.

I hope this upcoming squad will be mix with quality experience players (like DeRo, Hutch, De Guzman not players like Klukowski and Dunfield) and young players (Morgan, Osorio, Henry and perhaps Bekker).

Jakovic is still higher than Henry on the depth chart and a guaranteed call to any full Canada squad at this point regardless of his form with DC United. He is overpaid but there is a reason he got that deal in the first place, on his day he is a great defender. Just look at our January match against the USA.

Klukowski is playing regular football for a team going to Champions League in Europe. I don't know, man...I'm starting to wonder if he should be a starter, if one of the criteria is playing regular football in a winning environment. And Cyprus football isn't rated that bad either. It's ahead of Swedish football, much less tier 2 swedish football. But then I'm saying sit Ledgerwood, because he's a regular starter too. You ask me? Morgan is out. He's lost his spot even on the bench and is in a horrible run of form. Ledgerwood and Klukowski can stay. Jakovic...(shrug) I think we need to start another thread for this, but my back four right now include Attakora and Hainault at CB. (maybe Edgar, but they are tending to use him on the right, so that's why I didn't put him there.

If Jakovic is called he shouldn't start, and maybe neither should Henry.

But please don't be so quick to dismiss Klukowski...his club form has been spectacular of late.

I agree with those who say it would be worthwhile calling Klukowski. He is 31 though turning 32 shortly but that is still not out of the possibility of being available for the next WCQ. Yes his national team form has been poor for the last little while but he has also had a lot of club problems and instability in his life recently. While the Cypriot league is not the greatest he is playing on the best team in the league and one that is built for European play more than league play and which has been doing quite well in Europe recently. We forget that it was not that long ago that Klukoski was one of the top players on the national team and someone mentioned in the same group as Hutchinson as one of the few candidates for best national team player. Now it is possible that his recent poor form is the result of age or some other permanent reason but given that he is playing regularly for a pretty good club team I think it is definitely worth a call up to see if he is back to the Klukowski of old or is really on the downside of his career. At the very least he should certainly be able to give some good advice to some of the younger defenders in camp.

Dunfield? No thanks. Jakovic & Klukowski?

I agree with those who say it would be worthwhile calling Klukowski. He is 31 though turning 32 shortly but that is still not out of the possibility of being available for the next WCQ.

I don't want him in the next cycle. I don't want him for the Gold Cup.

I'd pick Dunfield over Klukowski any day.

From back in 2012:

Agreed. Only Michael Klukowski should never put on the jersey again. He pissed in The Soup before we Tasted it. Everyone else I will forgive.

^ While that may be a bit harsh, Klukowski was absolutely horrendous in Honduras. I'm ok with his recall as long as someone has actually watched him to see that he has improved his play. As Grizzly says, it wasn't so long ago he was one of our top performers, so if he is actually playing well for his club side (has anyone actually watched him to say if he is or not?), I'm ok with giving him another call to see what level he is performing at.

I'd be surprised if TFC even sees two players called. I don't see Dunfield getting much time when he comes back, Morgan's a bit iffy at the moment and I think Ouimette beats Henry for the young CB spot. Over the next month it should be easier to see who the better choice is between Bekker and Osorio.

I'm with Grizz on Kluka. His position used to be an embarrassment of riches even a year ago but now Jazic is seemingly retired, Morgan has taken a step back, De Jong was used very sparingly by his club.

IMO, we have a decent shot of recreating 2000 at this Gold Cup. It's starting to look like a perfect storm with all the countries that will likely be fielding experimental sides, saving their best for WCQ. And if a 32 y/o LB is our best at the position, then let's go with him.

Based on what I have watched in the last 8 months, I'd rather just make this tourney an exercise in cap tying a bunch of young prospects and go from there. Honestly.

I agree Bearcat. Forget anyone born 82 and earlier. This includes Kluka. Would rather see Tissot.

Based on what I have watched in the last 8 months, I'd rather just make this tourney an exercise in cap tying a bunch of young prospects and go from there. Honestly.

But it would be counterproductive sending a bunch of kids to get blown out. I think we need to balance the need for a youth movement with the needs to put up a decent performance.

But it would be counterproductive sending a bunch of kids to get blown out. I think we need to balance the need for a youth movement with the needs to put up a decent performance.

This pretty much exactly what I was going to write, good call.

We can’t develop these players, we can only make the best use of the resources we have available to us. Having more of a focus on youth is fine. Calling guys who haven’t even ticked any small boxes in terms of professional experience is not.

Archived