Samuel Piette WTF??????

Grizzly

Meh. I can't defend him but if Twitter had existed around my high school (way back when) I think there'd have been all kinds poor decisions. What seems like a good idea at the time... . Anyway, clearly some people haven't grasped that Twitter is seen by more that just family and friends.

Meh. I can't defend him but if Twitter had existed around my high school (way back when) I think there'd have been all kinds poor decisions. What seems like a good idea at the time... . Anyway, clearly some people haven't grasped that Twitter is seen by more that just family and friends.

We all get that he was trying to make a joke and that he's a kid. That he doesn't understand that this crosses a line (to put it mildly) concerns me about his judgement, however. Hopefully someone puts him on a train on his next day off and sends him on a day trip into Poland...

If he's still there, that is. And that's what makes this newsworthy. The Germans are humorless about Nazi "jokes." this could put his spot on the club at risk. So, as much as some might want to dismiss it as a kid being a kid you really can't. He ****ed up big time and, by virtue of the fact he is a professional athlete who has represented his country, he doesn't get the same pass you or I would have in similar circumstances.

I have hundreds more Twitter followers than Sam Piette and on April 30 I tweeted this joke:

"They have the best soccer teams, the best economy, soon Germany will have the best tanks rolling through Paris and nobody will even notice."

wheres my sun articul plz

no offence, but you're not a pro soccer player living in Germany, where they have no sense of humour when it comes to anything Nazi related

I actually came to the opposite conclusion.

If it was anything that he needs to do to be like Bobbo , he neds to write profane and offensive, but even there, he's a soccer player, not a guy like Bobbo who writes 2000-word blog articles and is probably blocked by people because of his profanity.

How dare you!

The humourlessness of the Germans, particularly in relation to the Third Reich, is often overstated.

No it is not overstated at all. Germans are very sensitive to stuff like this. Also his club leans to the left and their bitterest rival is Rot-Weiss Essen who have a lot of neo-Nazi hooligans (probably the only group in Germany that would find this humorous). Plus he has lived in Germany over a year now so it is pretty hard to understand how he has not picked up on no one in Germany likes Nazi/Hitler jokes by now. Not that his post would be acceptable if he wasn't living in Germany either but the fact that he is just makes it more incredible.

He's 19. He's a kid who made a stupid joke and he's not even on the main team. This isn't front page news.

This thing blows over. In fact I bet Canadian supporters hold this over his head longer than Eintracht fans.

He's 19. He's a kid who made a stupid joke and he's not even on the main team. This isn't front page news.

This thing blows over. In fact I bet Canadian supporters hold this over his head longer than Eintracht fans.

Of course, why would Eintracht fans care about that?

I think a lot of people have forgotten what it was like to be 18 here. Stupid things are said and I think Kurt Larson is actually much more in the wrong for spinning an article title to say he "glorified" Hitler. Talk about a reach. The kid compared German soccer's take over of Europe to the last take over of Europe "har har har" I know not really funny... but again he's 18 and immature, there's a reason his picture had 30+ likes before it was taken down. And some of those likes are from Germans. Piette plays on the youth squad at Dusseldorf don't be naive enough to think they don't joke about stuff like this, kids are kids the world over. This is 18 year old humour.

Great that we have an American blowing up one of our top prospects in the news though, I guess you have to appease the inculcated politically correct masses to get some attention when you're a hack footy writer... his article was released after the picture was already down.

Of course, why would Eintracht fans care about that?

Ha. Good catch. The fortuna fans. Either way, you get what I'm saying.

Also not a huge fan of Larson. Writes very charged articles, tweets, etc. to get a reaction.

Oh right, I forgot it was Austria that did all that bad **** in WW2. Where do kids today pick this stuff up? Learn your history!

several points here

1) To be completely honest it made me laugh. Yes I find that politically incorrect crap funny.

2) A picture of da'fuhrer with a caption including the word "bitches" is just funny to me. A homo who was homophobic and by his own perverse racial crap 1/8th jewish who wanted them all dead with the the word "bitches" just makes me laugh. The irony is just too much.

3) The Austrian contingent of the SS were the worst by far. Always feeling they had to prove themselves to not be the weak link, and going way overboard to prove it even by Nazi standards. Hard core is the understatement. After the war they played the victim but more than a million celebrated the annexation in the streets. Look at the percentage of Nazi party members from various groups in Germany and Austria. Austria was equal or first in most.

Dumb picture? Yea it is and will probably not make him any friends. Can a teenager have read enough in less than 20 years to have the historical background to claim ironic content? No way. Dumb yea but he is young and has apologized for it. Give him a break.

I'm so glad that all this social media crap wasn't around when I was a teen. God what a mess that would have been.

PS. Some interesting reading on the subject. "The Murderers Among us", "The Pink Swastika", "The Nazis and the Occult", "Inside the Third Reich" to get you started.

Archived