Is this Tournament real ? 2014 IBM Football Cup

Trillium

2014 IBM Football Cup Tournament details

Host country Canada

Dates 2 – 7 May

Teams 4 (from 2 confederations)

The IBM Football Cup (also known as the North American Football Union (NAFU) Championship) was the association football (soccer) cup for the CONCACAF's North American Zone.

[edit] Teams Canada (Host)

Colombia (Invited)

Mexico

United States

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_IBM_Football_Cup

I doubt it very much. The guy who created that page has made a few sketchy edits to soccer competitions on Wikipedia, such as saying the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship will be hosted by Australia and bogusing up the headline on one of the references, although the AFC itself still says it's being hosted by Myanmar.

Probably just Wikipedia vandalism.

I doubt it very much. The guy who created that page has made a few sketchy edits to soccer competitions on Wikipedia, such as saying the 2014 AFC U-19 Championship will be hosted by Australia and bogusing up the headline on one of the references, although the AFC itself still says it's being hosted by Myanmar.

Probably just Wikipedia vandalism.

I imagine most of you are too young to have known of this, but there was a world-class hoax perpetrated by some young guy back in the 70's (I can't recall exactly when), but I was in Ottawa so likely late 70's.

Some kid submitted game reports of Canada in a FIFA u21 or some such tournament. He managed to con the wire services into publishing these incredible wins by Canada, with the kid of course scoring key goals in the Cdn wins, right up to the final if I recall correctly. I remember reading the newspaper blurbs and going WTF (although we didn't use the acronym back in the 70's).

The IBM Football Cup (also known as the North American Football Union (NAFU) Championship) was the association football (soccer) cup for the CONCACAF's North American Zone.

Does such a football union exist? And why is this article written in past tense?

Does such a football union exist? And why is this article written in past tense?

Yes NAFU exists, Canada, USA, Mexico and sometimes Bermuda, St. Pierre et Miquelon could be a member, much the same way french overseas departments are members of FIFA confederations if not FIFA itself http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Outre-mer_en.png

The CSA has really failed to understand the value of NAFU and the ability to run tournaments for age group teams in NAFU, just another lost oppourtunity by the marketing guru's at CSA.

Remember the Caribbean Football Union was the personal control point of the suspected embezeler Jack Warner.

Thats why the idea of this tournament is actually very good, three teams, Canada, USA, Mexico and a guest team.... done during a FIFA international break ... A vs B, C vs D, winners versus winners for Cup and loser vs losers for 3rd and fourth place, you would give the teams three days between games.

Run it every year, and rotate host country.

Absolutely. We have the HUGE advantage of being able to play the top 2 countries in the region to ourselves! Let's use it. Wake up CSA. This would be a perfect tournament to have before the 2014 World Cup although I suspect the USA and Mexico may not want to play each other before.

Likely copied and pasted directly from the article for the old NAFU tournament, which we apparently hosted once in the early 90s. Seemed little more than a glorified friendly tournament with the 3 NAFU teams. Not sure if the sub-confederation could even be said to exist anymore in any practical way, it's just the CONCACAF teams that aren't already encompassed in the CFU or UNCAF.

Likely copied and pasted directly from the article for the old NAFU tournament, which we apparently hosted once in the early 90s. Seemed little more than a glorified friendly tournament with the 3 NAFU teams. Not sure if the sub-confederation could even be said to exist anymore in any practical way, it's just the CONCACAF teams that aren't already encompassed in the CFU or UNCAF.

And yet moribund associations can be revived, your CSA is okay and they are probably right to ignore the commercial and sporting benefits is quite frankly emblomatic of the average CSA executive and staff member.

No guts no glory... time to move on and start taking advantage instead of being ... a backwater... or xcalibre do you do you think the leadership is right on.

We'd have this NAFU tournament if USA and Mexico wanted it, or put another way, if Canada was playing at the level of the other two. In practical terms, the CSA might have better luck making overtures for a women's version of the tournament. I think Mexico for one, would be interested.

Archived