Canadians scoring for Canadian clubs

ken

I was watching the Newcastle game on Saturday and the announcer made a comment about James Perch being the last englishman to score for Newcastle back in January. Later that day I saw Osorio score for Toronto (second goal in 6 games, good for him) and it got me thinking, how long has it been since a Canadian scored for each of the Canadian clubs. One of the selling point about the Canadian Clubs was the development of Canadian talent, we saw some of them in the Voyageurs Cup (or neutralite or what ever). Yes some Canadians play in positions that rarely score, but scoring is the flashy part of the game that gets headlines and historically it has been one of the weakest areas of the National team.

So who were the last two Canadians to score for each of the Canadian Clubs and how long has it been since those goals. Also what if anything does it say about club development of Canadian talent.

Osorio and Henry for Toronto this season

Bernier for Montreal this season and last if looking for 2 separate Canadians then Pizzolitio is the 2nd last I believe in 2011 Gerba scored that game too on May 1, 2011

Dunfield had 2 in the inaugural season for the caps and before Dunfield it would of been Nash in the playoffs of 2010

Osorio is exciting, I keep saying that I hope he continues to develop as a player through Nielson and Toronto. He has a style of play that is much needed on the Canadian national team. It would have been amazing if he had played with deGuzman and deRo at their peaks because it seems like he is the missing link in the midfield. Someone willing to hold onto and move the ball through the first attacking half of the midfield, make some passes and get in on the attack. Confident but not as selfish as deRo, which makes his style a bit more appropriate for that attacking midfield role and freeing a player like deRo to focus on intimidating defences. He certainly has lots of things that need to be worked on but the one thing that TFC does do is give Canadians a chance and that is going to start paying off. The whitecaps seem too nervous and cautious and are not giving a lot of canadians even one opportunity to fail.

Osorio is exciting, I keep saying that I hope he continues to develop as a player through Nielson and Toronto. He has a style of play that is much needed on the Canadian national team. It would have been amazing if he had played with deGuzman and deRo at their peaks because it seems like he is the missing link in the midfield. Someone willing to hold onto and move the ball through the first attacking half of the midfield, make some passes and get in on the attack. Confident but not as selfish as deRo, which makes his style a bit more appropriate for that attacking midfield role and freeing a player like deRo to focus on intimidating defences. He certainly has lots of things that need to be worked on but the one thing that TFC does do is give Canadians a chance and that is going to start paying off. The whitecaps seem too nervous and cautious and are not giving a lot of canadians even one opportunity to fail.

We've had Hutchinson playing with those two, who is a much better player and he wasn't the "missing link" either. I think Osorio is a good prospect but I don't think he should be in the same sentence as those players just yet as he hasn't shown anything yet if we're being honest. I think Bekker and Teibert are both better prospects for the Canadian midfield than Osorio at the moment but things change quickly. Excited for Wednesday to see these guys in action.

Since we're talking about Canadian clubs rather than Canadian MLS clubs: 18 of 25 goals scored by FC Edmonton in the regular season last season were by Canadians (Saiko 7, Porter 5, Cox Craig 2, Hamilton Gigolaj 1) as well as two this year (Saiko and Mirabelli with one each).

The whitecaps seem too nervous and cautious and are not giving a lot of canadians even one opportunity to fail.

On the contrary they have played Teibert several full games now and while his play is good so far his shooting is obviously the weakest part of his game. He hits shots so far over the bar he reminds me of Koffie 2 years ago. Gersh got over it and is now getting shots on and in the net so I hope Russell follows in that development pattern. The rest of Russell's game is very good but that shooting bit .... not so pretty.

When you have others like Manneh making the most of their limited sub time Russell really needs to get the shots on net and at least force a save in his next opportunity. It is a learning curve for all of them. Like I said Gersh used to have the same problem in the Swanguard days so maybe it is just some more practice. I hope Russell starts against FC Edmonton on Wednesday. That would be a good chance for him. Not that they are week in goal, but because they are not. It would be a good test for him.

Oh and by the way the Caps also arranged playing time for Ben Fisk with a season loan to the Charleston Battery where he has scored once in two games (more to come, a lot more, I'll bet on that). I know that isn't part of the thread title but I thought it worth mentioning.

Thanks, particularly interested in what FC Edmonton did last year, sort of consistent with Montreal and Vancouver in the old A-league in that they did give chances to a lot of Canadian kids. MLS is a step up in quality itdifficult for the Canadian kids to make that next step up, I'm not going to give much grief to Vancouver or Montreal at this point. Both are still quite new to the league and seem to be making competence on the field their main task and developing local talent seems to be something that will follow sucess. I think of Andrea Lombardo who was sort of thrown to the wolves and failed to score for something like 16 games, I don't think either he or TFC were well served by that experiment.

MLS is a step up in quality itdifficult for the Canadian kids to make that next step up, I'm not going to give much grief to Vancouver or Montreal at this point. Both are still quite new to the league and seem to be making competence on the field their main task and developing local talent seems to be something that will follow sucess.

It's frustrating to constantly read that these are somehow mutually exclusive. Morgan and Teibert seem to have been able to make the adjustment. All signs point to Porter being a relatively valuable member of DC United. Ouimette and Henry have had good outings too. They may not be everyday starters, but first choice off the bench isn't that bad for 19-20 year olds.

I think of Andrea Lombardo who was sort of thrown to the wolves and failed to score for something like 16 games, I don't think either he or TFC were well served by that experiment.

Where they well served by the Andy Welsh or Laurent Robert experiments? Was Vancouver well served by the Jarju experiment? Does that mean that Canadian teams should stop looking abroad for their players too? Just because you can find an example where something fails, doesn't mean we should throw the baby out with the bath water. Especially when you fail to consider the abject ineptitude of the people in charge of said experiments.

I don't understand why we undervalue Canadian talent here seemingly because of their Canadianess. One of the biggest arguments on these boards vis-a-vis MLS and the quota system was that Canadians were pricing themselves out of the market because they were being gifted spots on teams. Now it seems like the pendulum has swung the other way entirely where now Canadians have to be significantly better than their competition before they are given a chance. And it's not just here either. De Vos will leap to the defence of a guy like Darel Russell who cost his team two goals in one game and go on and on about how he doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Will he have the same defence for Morgan who's one mistake in a game cost them a late goal? Doubt it. Why the double standard?

For every Lombardo failure, I can find a success story. Why is it we focus on the failures and draw conclusions about those and forget about the successes?

For every Lombardo failure, I can find a success story. Why is it we focus on the failures and draw conclusions about those and forget about the successes?

I can honestly say that frustrates me too, in the media, on these boards...I feel the same.

Archived