M- Jashandeep Sangha | CAN / Phoenix SC

M- Francesco Saporito | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Aymar Sigue | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC Residency

M- Hayden Simmonds-O'Grady | CAN / Capital United

M- Emmanuel Zambasis | CAN / Mississauga Falcons SC

F- Jacob Bolton | CAN / Halifax City SC

F- Derek Cornelius | CAN / Unionville SC

F- Luca Uccello | CAN / Toronto FC Academy

Canada has announced its 18-player Men’s U-16 Team roster for the upcoming Torneo delle Nazioni to take place in Italy from 1 to 4 May, 2013.

The 11-day camp in Italy (26 April - 6 May) featuring players born exclusively in 1997 is part of Canada’s long-term preparations for the 2017 round of Men’s U-20 competition.

“We are looking forward to getting this group of players together with the coaching staff,” said U-16 Head Coach Rob Gale.

“This is going to be an excellent opportunity to provide our players with some top level European competition. It is crucial that they also get the chance to experience tournament football at this point in their development.

“For these players, this is part of a four-year journey towards the U-20 age group and beyond.”

Canada will match-up against high-quality European opposition at the tournament with matches against Croatia (1 May), Norway (2 May) and Montenegro (3 May).

The winners from each of the tournament’s three groups as well as the best second-place finisher will qualify for the semi-finals to take place on 4 May.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you hold a Canadian passport, are your children eligible to apply for one?

FIFA statutes

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/generic/01/66/54/21/fifastatutes2012e.pdf

1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than

one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international

match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant

nationality, he fulfi ls at least one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association;

B) His biological mother or biological father was born on the territory of

the relevant Association;

c) His grandmother or grandfather was born on the territory of the

relevant Association;

d) He has lived continuously on the territory of the relevant Association for

at least two years.

D- Sonny Bircham | ENG / Queens Park Rangers FC Academy
Unless Sonny can claim to have lived here in Canada for 2 consecutive years there's no way he's eligible to play for Canada.

At this point, it doesn't matter because it's only for a youth friendly camp. It could be that Marc still has some influence with the CSA and got his son included. I mean, his son is with the QPR youth and he works there as coach; he could be doing the same thing at the national level. We'll find out if Sonny sticks around for U-17 camps and such in 2 years.

If Sonny isn't/cannot become eligible, Marc (not the CSA) better be picking up the tab.

At this point, it doesn't matter because it's only for a youth friendly camp. It could be that Marc still has some influence with the CSA and got his son included. I mean, his son is with the QPR youth and he works there as coach; he could be doing the same thing at the national level. We'll find out if Sonny sticks around for U-17 camps and such in 2 years.

If Sonny isn't/cannot become eligible, Marc (not the CSA) better be picking up the tab.

If by "it doesn't matter" you mean that he has been invited to train with the squad even if he isn't eligible then i guess there is a longshot chance that could happen. But if you mean "it doesn't matter" in that he can play in the tournament because they're only youth friendlies then you are incorrect. Passport or no passport, no one can just play for a country if they are ineligible for that country under FIFA regs., even if it is just a youth friendly.

But if you mean "it doesn't matter" in that he can play in the tournament because they're only youth friendlies then you are incorrect. Passport or no passport, no one can just play for a country if they are ineligible for that country under FIFA regs., even if it is just a youth friendly.

That was my thought. Since the lowest age FIFA tournament is the U-17, I thought it wouldn't matter. Is a youth friendly for U-16s even a FIFA sanctioned event?

That was my thought. Since the lowest age FIFA tournament is the U-17, I thought it wouldn't matter. Is a youth friendly for U-16s even a FIFA sanctioned event?

This tournament in Italy would surely be sanctioned. A lack of a world championship in that age category wouldn't make a difference. The U21 Toulon tournament would be another example.

The point here though, is why is the son of another CSA coach ( U18's ) being called for an international tournament when it is not clear he is eligible to play for Canada. This certainly does not look good considering Marc was Robert Gale's assistant during a recent U18 camp in Costa Rica.

The point here though, is why is the son of another CSA coach ( U18's ) being called for an international tournament when it is not clear he is eligible to play for Canada. This certainly does not look good considering Marc was Robert Gale's assistant during a recent U18 camp in Costa Rica.

Or...what if he is just plain old eligible, and these last 13 posts have been needless conspiracy theories???

post-3482-139465254859_thumb.jpg

Or...what if he is just plain old eligible, and these last 13 posts have been needless conspiracy theories???

The way I understand it is every player is required to show a passport before national team games. Marc Bircham would have a passport to play for Canada even though it was acquired through his grandparents. Because he carries a passport his son would also be entitled to one. That's how a lot of players get EU passports from Canada.

And I understand this distrust for the CSA but this is truly out of hand. I'm starting to think that conspiracy theorists are attracted this topic.

The way I understand it is every player is required to show a passport before national team games. Marc Bircham would have a passport to play for Canada even though it was acquired through his grandparents. Because he carries a passport his son would also be entitled to one. That's how a lot of players get EU passports from Canada.

And I understand this distrust for the CSA but this is truly out of hand. I'm starting to think that conspiracy theorists are attracted this topic.

Passports are only necessary for official FIFA matches such as WCQ's and Gold Cup matches.

In this case, Sonny Bircham, if he were to receive Canadian citizenship and a passport based on his father having one would still need to meet the FIFA regulations to play for Canada - having a passport does not entitle one to represent a country or else the entire Qatari NT would be full of Brasilians. If Sonny does not qualify through his mother or through residency then he is likely ineligible because it is his great-grandfather that was born in Winnipeg and that does not meet the requirements under FIFA regs.

And yes, i completely distrust the CSA thinking they have it all figured out. If Gershon Koffie turns out to eligible to play for Canada after getting citizenship I will stab myself in the eye. These people don't know what the **** they are talking about.

Passports are only necessary for official FIFA matches such as WCQ's and Gold Cup matches.

In this case, Sonny Bircham, if he were to receive Canadian citizenship and a passport based on his father having one would still need to meet the FIFA regulations to play for Canada - having a passport does not entitle one to represent a country or else the entire Qatari NT would be full of Brasilians. If Sonny does not qualify through his mother or through residency then he is likely ineligible because it is his great-grandfather that was born in Winnipeg and that does not meet the requirements under FIFA regs.

And yes, i completely distrust the CSA thinking they have it all figured out. If Gershon Koffie turns out to eligible to play for Canada after getting citizenship I will stab myself in the eye. These people don't know what the **** they are talking about.

I believe you are mistaken JPG and I will explain why,

You are correct about having a passport doesn't mean someone can play for a nation, however missing is article 5 section 1.

1.Any person holding a permanent nationality that is not dependent on residence in a certain country is eligible to play for the representative teams of the Association of that country.

Sonny Bircham is eligible to play for Canada because his Canadian citizenship isn't based upon immigration, it's based on his birthright and not subject to immigration or residence. Marc Bircham in a is a natural born Canadian because his citizenship is based on his birthright and not immigration.

I believe you are mistaken JPG and I will explain why,

You are correct about having a passport doesn't mean someone can play for a nation, however missing is article 5 section 1.

Sonny Bircham is eligible to play for Canada because his Canadian citizenship isn't based upon immigration, it's based on his birthright and not subject to immigration or residence. Marc Bircham in a is a natural born Canadian because his citizenship is based on his birthright and not immigration.

Darío Cvitanich. Look him up.

By the way, Article 6 supercedes article 5 in this case because Sonny is arguing that he is able to represent two association (born in England). Article 6 states:

1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfills at least one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association; (Nope)

the relevant Association; (Not on Marc's side)

relevant Association; (Not on Marc's side)

at least two years. (Not sure)

By the way, Article 6 supercedes article 5 in this case because Sonny is arguing that he is able to represent two association (born in England). Article 6 states:

1. A Player who, under the terms of art. 5, is eligible to represent more than one Association on account of his nationality, may play in an international match for one of these Associations only if, in addition to having the relevant nationality, he fulfills at least one of the following conditions:

a) He was born on the territory of the relevant Association; (Nope)

the relevant Association; (Not on Marc's side)

relevant Association; (Not on Marc's side)

at least two years. (Not sure)

So even if Sonny got a passport, he couldn't play for Canada because of those rules? When did he ever say he was trying to play for England?

No, article 5, p.1 supersedes article 6. The purpose of article 6 is for people who want to represent a nation where they do not have permanent nationality. If your parent was born in Canada or was a naturalized Canadian citizen, you are Canadian regardless of where you're born. That means that one of Bircham's parents were Canadian, therefore Marc is Canadian, and so is Sonny. Not all countries function in this manner, hence article 6.

No, article 5, p.1 supersedes article 6. The purpose of article 6 is for people who want to represent a nation where they do not have permanent nationality. If your parent was born in Canada or was a naturalized Canadian citizen, you are Canadian regardless of where you're born. That means that one of Bircham's parents were Canadian, therefore Marc is Canadian, and so is Sonny. Not all countries function in this manner, hence article 6.

I thought the issue was that Marc's grandparent was Canadian, rather than his parent, and thus the confusion about whether a great-grandchild would somehow be eligible through the grandparent rule?

Archived