More spots for CONCACAF in Russia 2018

xabuep2

How many spots do Asian have? Is it 4.5 right now? If so, then it's fair for CONCACAF to get 4.5 spots given talent and amount of teams in the region. Asian and Oceania should be playing together as in one region. There's no need for a separate region in that part of the world.

How many spots do Asian have? Is it 4.5 right now? If so, then it's fair for CONCACAF to get 4.5 spots given talent and amount of teams in the region. Asian and Oceania should be playing together as in one region. There's no need for a separate region in that part of the world.

Yes, they have 4.5 right now. Quite confident that CONCACAF's 4th place team last time around (Costa Rica) would have beaten both Bahrain and New Zealand last time around to get to the World Cup. I feel that CONMEBOL should get a full other spot before CONCACAF though.

Yes, they have 4.5 right now. Quite confident that CONCACAF's 4th place team last time around (Costa Rica) would have beaten both Bahrain and New Zealand last time around to get to the World Cup. I feel that CONMEBOL should get a full other spot before CONCACAF though.

CONMEBOL doesn't have a lot of teams so it wouldn't be fair for other regions. 10 teams with 4.5 spots is fair IMO.

4.5 spots will not happen. Blatter was pandering to the crowd in Panama; especially since they have been feeling good about themselves being top of the Hex and qualifying for the U-17s. Such a proposal will die May 31st.

We MIGHT get 4 spots as others have said. This is the FIFA version:

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/organisation/president/news/newsid=2060814/index.html?intcmp=fifacom_hp_module_about_fifa

No such "4.5" wild speculation.

If we got 4 spots, who would we cut? For UEFA to get 12.5+Russia, their qualifying structure would have to change. Maybe Oceania could merge with Asia...

From the Washington Post's Spanish language addition: El presidente de la FIFA, Joseph Blatter, afirmó que la entidad estudia conceder una cuarta plaza directa en los próximos mundiales a partir del 2018 a la Confederación Norte, Centroamérica y el Caribe de Fútbol, Concacaf. Esta decisión, así como la propuesta de integrar a la mujer en el comité ejecutivo de la FIFA serán analizadas en el congreso del 31 de mayo en Islas Mauricio.

Before we get too carried away, it should be noted that Concacaf is only studying this idea of four direct places, alongside other such radical proposals as letting ... it's hard to even type it... woman or women!! onto the Fifa executive committee.

I don't know...personally I don't see how to justify CONMEBOL losing a spot. I can see justification for CAF losing one. Check on the FIFA 2010 World Cup Group stage. Here's what happened for those advancing out of it.

CONCACAF 2/3 = 67%

AFC 2/4 = 50%

OFC 0/1 = 0%

CAF 1/6 = 17%

CONMEBOL 5/5 = 100%

UEFA 6/13 = 46%

I'd like to analyze this again for 2014, but really, when it comes to proving you are in the better half of things, AFC has done a fine job in qualifying a couple teams out of the group stage for the last FEW tournaments not just this one.

If it's about "junk" teams, UEFA, I think with 13 teams, ends up putting as many "junk" teams in as anyone. Their justification comes out grabbing 3/4 of the semi-final spots this year and then both the final spots. But if there were one more spot to lose, I'd lose a UEFA spot.

Does CONCACAF deserve 4.5? Probably not, but I wouldn't be adverse to seeing an extra .5 in there. And frankly, rather than take away from AFC, I'd give them the other .5 The argument against those will always be that "AFC, after RSK, Japan, and the Aussies are mostly junk..." and same argument for CONCACAF, but with USA and Mexico. That's why I'm hoping THIS year, maybe Costa Rica, Honduras, whoever pulls off an upset and gets out of the group on the World Stage. That's one thing we could all root for, is proof of the legitimacy of CONCACAF, as it could only help Canada's chances in the future!

(Edit: Sidenote, if you ask me though, USA was also extremely lucky to get out of the group stage)

Not the stupidest thing Blatter has ever said. But then that may not be the best way to qualify it.

Oceania is always tricky. I'd blend some of the Asian countries into it and give it a full spot or spot & a 1/2 (if that's even possible) and boot Australia back into that hybrid confederation. Of course I have no idea how the countries I'd put into this confederation would feel about leaving Asia (thinking SE Asia and the Philippines et al) or how the current Oceania countries would feel about a competitive improvement like that, just day-dreaming.

I would like to see an East Asian confederation that assimilates Oceania:

Japan

South Korea

China

North Korea

Australia

New Zealand

Chinese Taipei

Malaysia

Vietnam

Singapore

Indonesia

Mongolia

Mynamar

Laos

Cambodia

Hong Kong

Thailand

Timor-Leste

Macau

+ the remaining 10 OFC members I am too lazy to write out.

I would say such a Confederation would warrent 2.5 spots. The other Asian counties could remain in Asia and that Confederation could have 2.5 spots as well perhaps? On second thought, perhaps 3 spots for this proposed zone would be more fair?

Japan

South Korea

China

North Korea

Australia

New Zealand

Chinese Taipei

Malaysia

Vietnam

Singapore

Indonesia

Mongolia

Mynamar

Laos

Cambodia

Hong Kong

Thailand

Timor-Leste

Macau

I would say such a Confederation would warrent 2.5 spots. The other Asian counties could remain in Asia and that Confederation could have 2.5 spots as well perhaps? On second thought, perhaps 3 spots for this proposed zone would be more fair?

Interesting you mention this because there's already a divide between East Asia and West Asia (South Asia, Central Asia and Middle East) in club competition. Asian region is too big and needs to be divided. East Asia and OFC becoming one region would be good for FIFA, but I highly doubt OFC would want to merge with Asia lose whatever power they have in FIFA.

Japan

South Korea

China

North Korea

Australia

New Zealand

Chinese Taipei

Malaysia

Vietnam

Singapore

Indonesia

Mongolia

Mynamar

Laos

Cambodia

Hong Kong

Thailand

Timor-Leste

Macau

This would be a terrible idea because you have taken all the best teams of Asia, Japan, both Koreas and Australia and those with potential to be better China and in the far future highly populated countries like Philippines and Indonesia and put them all in one conference. The other Asian conference would be really weak with Iran as the best team and even Iran is not that great a team, qualifying about half the time and not doing very well when it does qualify. And with the exception of India and Pakistan if they ever become interested in football most of the rest of the countries do not have large populations and have limited potential to improve. Now if they were to move some of the more eastern teams in UEFA over to this conference like Turkey, Russia and Ukraine it might form a legitimate conference but I doubt those countries really want to leave UEFA even if they would have better chances of qualifying. The West Asian conference you are suggesting would be really weak. And although it would not make geographic sense, if you merged Occeania into West Asia New Zealand would probably qualify fairly often as well despite not being that great of a team they would still be equal to and competitive against the better teams like Iran, UAE and Saudi Arabia and would be better than most of the teams in the conference.

This would be a terrible idea because you have taken all the best teams of Asia, Japan, both Koreas and Australia and those with potential to be better China and in the far future highly populated countries like Philippines and Indonesia and put them all in one conference. The other Asian conference would be really weak with Iran as the best team and even Iran is not that great a team, qualifying about half the time and not doing very well when it does qualify. And with the exception of India and Pakistan if they ever become interested in football most of the rest of the countries do not have large populations and have limited potential to improve. Now if they were to move some of the more eastern teams in UEFA over to this conference like Turkey, Russia and Ukraine it might form a legitimate conference but I doubt those countries really want to leave UEFA even if they would have better chances of qualifying. The West Asian conference you are suggesting would be really weak. And although it would not make geographic sense, if you merged Occeania into West Asia New Zealand would probably qualify fairly often as well despite not being that great of a team they would still be equal to and competitive against the better teams like Iran, UAE and Saudi Arabia and would be better than most of the teams in the conference.

Australia has been struggling against Middle Eastern teams lately. Middle Eastern countries are starting to become more competitive in Asia these days. Outside Japan, South Korea and Australia, East Asia isn't a strong as you make it out to be. West Asia isn't better than top 3 East Asian teams, but they are a lot more better than teams like China and North Korea. West Asia will be more competitive because there's 5-6 teams there that are better than most of East Asian teams outside of big 3.

FYI, currently there's 3 East Asian (including Australia) teams left in WC qualifying in Asia while rest of teams are from West Asia (7 teams left). That should give you an idea quality of that region.

FYI, currently there's 3 East Asian (including Australia) teams left in WC qualifying in Asia while rest of teams are from West Asia (7 teams left). That should give you an idea quality of that region.

To build on that point. Uzbekistan and Jordan look poised to qualify and Iraq would face Australia in the play off if WCQ finished today. Also, Saudi Arabia, a team that has been to the world cup on more than one occasion, would consistently fight for a spot in a West Asian zone.

To build on that point. Uzbekistan and Jordan look poised to qualify and Iraq would face Australia in the play off if WCQ finished today. Also, Saudi Arabia, a team that has been to the world cup on more than one occasion, would consistently fight for a spot in a West Asian zone.

Yeah that is what would happen if FIFA allowed qualification tournaments to end when certain teams had played less games than others and were only allowed to play away matches against certain rival teams. BTW it is Iran that is currently in a playoff spot not Iraq.

Australia has been struggling against Middle Eastern teams lately. Middle Eastern countries are starting to become more competitive in Asia these days. Outside Japan, South Korea and Australia, East Asia isn't a strong as you make it out to be. West Asia isn't better than top 3 East Asian teams, but they are a lot more better than teams like China and North Korea. West Asia will be more competitive because there's 5-6 teams there that are better than most of East Asian teams outside of big 3.

First of all results vary and there are always upsets and you do not plan conferences based on one World Cup Qualifying tournament especially one that has not yet finished. Let's not forget that not one West Asian team qualified for the last World Cup and although their best team qualified for the Continental playoff they then lost to the might giant New Zealand. Nor do I claim that East Asia is strong, it is only strong in comparison with West Asia. And by strong I mean it has the only teams that when they qualify for the World Cup actually look like they belong there, Japan, Korea and Australia. The other teams when they do qualify are really poor and almost always go out in the Group stage and usually look very bad while doing so. If you look at who has gotten out of Group Stages in previous World Cups, Japan, South Korea and Australia have done so twice while North Korea and Saudi Arabia have done it once. Most of the time the Asian teams go out in group stage.

The idea of taking a very weak football conference and dividing it into two to create two really weak football conferences makes no sense. Of course the current situation in which New Zealand err, Oceania has its own conference and has basically a two game playoff to qualify into the World Cup is ridiculous but you do not solve one stupidity by another. What would make sense is not splitting a weak conference but giving it more teams such as New Zealand and Oceania and possibly forcing Kazahkstan to rejoin the AFC from UEFA. The only conference for which there would be any justification of splitting it in two would be UEFA but there is little chance of that happening because all of the teams want to stay in UEFA as it is even those who might have a better chance qualify in a different conference.

There are a lot of poor and mediocre teams in the AFC and some of them make it into the final round of qualifying. North Korea got eliminated because they were in what turned out to be the Group of Death with Japan (who they beat once) and Uzbekistan but no I don't think they are a great team that is going to qualify every time through AFC. I do think they are a better team than a few of the West Asian teams that went through in easier groups though. China is a similar level team to most of the other West Asian teams currently in the final stage but as I stated one with a lot more growth potential.

Now if you look at the current final AFC stage there are only two unusual things, the very strong play of Uzbekistan and the mediocre play of Australia so far. As I said earlier these type of things happen in WCQ and you do not change formats based on strange or one time results. In UEFA WCQ just because Montenegro is currently in first place (in a group with England, Ukraine and Poland) and Croatia and Bosnia are also having good campaigns does not mean we should create a former Yugoslavia conference. Australia has had a mediocre campaign so far but they are one point behind Jordan for the automatic WCQ spot and played one less game. And while their next game may be a tough one in Japan (and I say may because Japan is already assured of qualification) their last two games are home games against Jordan and Iraq and it would be a major surprise if they did not qualify even given their mediocre results so far. Also one should not forget the reffing in AFC is really bad both for quality and corruption, ie. the Jordan penalty against Australia was a disgrace on so many levels.

Uzbekistan is the wild card in all of this but FYI it is not a Western Asian team but a Central Asian team. The AFC has four regions West, Central and South (which are sometimes seen as separate), East and Southeast. Personally I think Uzbekistan's strong campaign is a one-off and won't be sustained in the future. However, the Uzbek government and various Uzbek oligarchs have been putting a lot of money into their domestic football so it is possible they will maintain their results. What makes me a bit sceptical is so far only two Uzbek players are playing in RPL and that is including one who is Russian and was just born in Uzbekistan because his father was playing there. Almost all of the good players in the region make their way into the Russian leagues so it seems strange that the Uzbeks are not though maybe the oligarchs in Uzbekistan pay well. Anyway it remains to be seen whether Uzbekistan will progress in the future.

With the level of play current in AFC there is no justification for splitting it into 2 weaker conferences especially when the 3 strongest teams would all end up in one conference. Additionally the AFC countries with a lot of room for significant growth in the future (though probably far future) are the heavily populated countries of East, Southeast and South Asia. And still this year the most likely result is that Japan, Korea and Australia will qualify as usual along with Uzbekistan with Iran getting the playoff spot against a Conmebol team though Iran might still grab an automatic spot.

Despite the certainty of getting panned on this opinion, I would rather they just increase the total number of teams in the WC. Yes, the level of competition would suffer, and yes this would be the cheapest way of Canada making it to the big dance, but I'll take it anyway I can get it (can't wait to see where ppl go with that last statement).

Despite the certainty of getting panned on this opinion, I would rather they just increase the total number of teams in the WC.
Panned!

Yes, the level of competition would suffer, and yes this would be the cheapest way of Canada making it to the big dance, but I'll take it anyway I can get it (can't wait to see where ppl go with that last statement).
True, but 32 is enough.

Yeah Grizz but there will definitely be one west asian (middle eastern) team this World Cup tournament. If I was a betting man, I'd say two, although the slimmer possibility exists that the middle east could even have THREE teams this World Cup.

Let's see...right now between OFC and AFC there are 5 qualifying spots in total. (4.5 + 0.5)

So if you redid it to west and east asia, I'd say it would be fair to give East Asia 3.5 of those spots...and West Asia 1.5 of those spots. Or maybe 3 and 2. Personally I like the idea, because it's much better than AFC and OFC right now. That's the point...maybe you can argue that West Asia isn't strong, but you'd have to be absolutely mad to say it's worse off than what we have right now, with AFC and OFC.

Archived