What's the target for WWC2015?

xcalibre

Personally, I always feel a bit let down at the modesty of the CSA and John Herdman about this tournament. We shouldn't just be aiming to do well, but after the Olympics I think we should be targeting the gold here, and coming right out and saying it. Why not set ourselves a high target and strive for it? I'd rather do that and lose than accept the traditional Canadian sports mentality of inevitable "brave defeat" and giving ourselves excuses. If Sinclair is firing on all cylinders and the rest of the team hits form at the right time, there's no reason we can't win it all.

Granted, I may have been heard saying our lads had a shot at the U-20 World Cup back in 2007 after the draw with Brazil, so I may be a bit delusional...

Guest Future CanWNT

Given the age of the current players (Sinclair will be 32) and recent results its hard to say. I don't think they can win it with the players they have right now, some of the younger players have looked promising but we need more than 2 or 3. Compared to the amount if depth in young players that the US and other countries have its going to be hard to keep up. That said two years is a long time and who knows what will happen before then. I agree the CSA should be aiming for a medal but at the same time we don't want to have everyone expect gold and be disappointed if that's not a realistic idea in 2015.

Canada's performance at the Olympics was outstanding and they did have a chance to win it.

That being said The Olympics is a second tier tournament as the best teams may not be involved as was the case in London.

Germany did not qualify for the Olympics due to their result in the previous World Cup.

Well, we *essentially* made it to the finals of the Olympic tournament... We CAN compete against the likes of the Americans as that competition showed. It's just going to be a matter of are we going to get better in 2015, or are other teams like the US/Germany/Japan going to get worse. It's tough to say. The United States seems to have some really good prospects who should develop in time for the World Cup and provide depth.

Guest Future CanWNT

^ I agree completely. I don't know too much about Germany, Japan ect. in terms of depth in the youth ranks but the U.S.' is definitely worrying. Hopefully we'll be just as good then, but our current players aren't getting any younger. It's really hard to say.

Archived