CONCACAF U17 Championship 2013

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on results, Jamaica drew against Panama and Barbados.

So they're beatable...plus on paper, Canada is more talented team than Jamaica. As long Canada remains strong in the back, then I am confident that Canada will win. Jamaica didn't look good defensively against Barbados (giving up 2 goals). So that tells me they're weak defensively.

My biggest concern will be the ref. I hope Canada doesn't get screwed by the ref.

Based on results, Jamaica drew against Panama and Barbados.

So they're beatable...plus on paper, Canada is more talented team than Jamaica. As long Canada remains strong in the back, then I am confident that Canada will win. Jamaica didn't look good defensively against Barbados (giving up 2 goals). So that tells me they're weak defensively.

My biggest concern will be the ref. I hope Canada doesn't get screwed by the ref.

Might want to take into account the fact that Jamaica had two players sent off against Panama and Panama tied it up in the 90th minute. I'm assuming both those red cards were then unavailable for the game against Barbados.

Also, Junior Flemmings has some skill.

Just noticed that Stephen Hart is with the U17 team, he was in the background of the latest video released by the CSA.

If that is true (which video is he in?) I think that is more evidence of how incompetent the CSA is. A fired/resigned coach should not be involved with the team after the fact at any level. Lets not forget he was a pretty unsuccessful youth coach for the CSA in the past. And from what I saw of how he coached the senior team, I do not want him influencing our younger players. Possibly they are still paying him (though after a resignation they shouldn't be) and he agreed to do this and that may be decent of him (not a bad guy just a poor coach). However, I don't think this is good for our national team program which should be attempting to make a clear break of the unsuccessful ways of the past.

A fired/resigned coach should not be involved with the team after the fact at any level.

I don't feel that this is true. Many fans + Hart himself agknowledged that his strength was as a youth coach. I remember people saying that he should go back to being U-17 coach. Why not share is knowledge? I approve of his presence there.

(which video is he in?)

50 second mark

I don't feel that this is true. Many fans + Hart himself agknowledged that his strength was as a youth coach. I remember people saying that he should go back to being U-17 coach. Why not share is knowledge? I approve of his presence there.

His results as a youth coach with the CSA were poor.

50 second mark

So he's an assistant coach? Looks like he was picking up pylons after players finished their drill. lol

Hart seems like a good guy willing to do anything to help out Canada soccer. Hopefully he finds a Canadian club to work in their FO. I think he'll make a decent TD for a professional club in Canada.

Third quarterfinal result:

United States 1-3 Honduras

(Hahaha, woo!)

Meh. I hate Honduras more than USA (to be honest, I don't really have any hate towards their men and youth teams. It's just their women team I don't like).

Third quarterfinal result:

United States 1-3 Honduras

(Hahaha, woo!)

I'm more concerned with another wave of good, young Hondurans coming through then the Americans falling on their faces. We are in more direct competition for one of the WC spots with Honduras (3rd place or even 4th) then the Americans IMO.

I'm more concerned with another wave of good, young Hondurans coming through then the Americans falling on their faces. We are in more direct competition for one of the WC spots with Honduras (3rd place or even 4th) then the Americans IMO.

My thoughts and concerns exactly.

If that is true (which video is he in?) I think that is more evidence of how incompetent the CSA is. A fired/resigned coach should not be involved with the team after the fact at any level. Lets not forget he was a pretty unsuccessful youth coach for the CSA in the past. And from what I saw of how he coached the senior team, I do not want him influencing our younger players. Possibly they are still paying him (though after a resignation they shouldn't be) and he agreed to do this and that may be decent of him (not a bad guy just a poor coach). However, I don't think this is good for our national team program which should be attempting to make a clear break of the unsuccessful ways of the past.

Wow, I am very glad you have nothing to do with making any decisions for the CSA. Hart can only help. He has plenty of experience in Concacaf, and I'm sure the extra set of eyes scouting the other teams is a big help. The game against Panama will likely be played in front of the biggest crowd that these boys have ever played against. It will be a tremendous experience for them, and to have guys like Fleming and Hart there that have been through it before will be a big plus. No matter what the result of the next two games, it will be more international experience for these boys, who have certainly done themselves proud.

Wow, I am very glad you have nothing to do with making any decisions for the CSA. Hart can only help. He has plenty of experience in Concacaf, and I'm sure the extra set of eyes scouting the other teams is a big help. The game against Panama will likely be played in front of the biggest crowd that these boys have ever played against. It will be a tremendous experience for them, and to have guys like Fleming and Hart there that have been through it before will be a big plus. No matter what the result of the next two games, it will be more international experience for these boys, who have certainly done themselves proud.

Hart hasn't been through it before though, has he? When has Hart qualified any team he has managed for anything?

Unless I am forgetting something his resume pretty much reads like what you would assume when an amateur coach is put in the positions he has held:

U-17: Failed to qualify twice (2004, 2006) for WCs

U-20: Failed to qualify for WC

Senior Men's National Team: Failed to qualify for World Cup.

I don't mean to slag Hart off, but how does that read like a successful coach bringing any experience to help anyone out? Does he now know what not to do if you want to qualify for an international tournament?

Hart hasn't been through it before though, has he? When has Hart qualified any team he has managed for anything?

Unless I am forgetting something his resume pretty much reads like what you would assume when an amateur coach is put in the positions he has held:

U-17: Failed to qualify twice (2004, 2006) for WCs

U-20: Failed to qualify for WC

Senior Men's National Team: Failed to qualify for World Cup.

I don't mean to slag Hart off, but how does that read like a successful coach bringing any experience to help anyone out? Does he now know what not to do if you want to qualify for an international tournament?

Perfectly valid IMO.

If performance at the CSA was the bottom line life would be much less complicated.

A good teacher/coach can do wonders for a student/player but equally a poor teacher/coach can do a lot of damage. What is Hart's experience? Head coach of King of Donair? Years of failure as a national team coach at both the youth and senior level? We just got our ass kicked in WC qualifying after scraping through a minnow qualifying round under Hart. It is time we started to take things seriously and provide our teams with qualified successful coaches at every level and the youth teams are the future thus just as important as the senior team. We need to budget more for coaches and if we can't we need to search hard in some successful footballing nations where the salaries are lower so we can find fully qualified coaches at every level.

I will give Fleming a pass because he has had success at the U17 level. I do have some doubts about him but on rare occasions there are coaches who on the surface of it don't seem terribly qualified but are actually good coaches. Fleming may be like that or at a higher age group may show his deficiencies. But keep the rest of the unqualified, poorly experienced CSA house coaches away from out national teams at all levels and start hiring real professionals. Having Hart there is just more of the same CSA policy failures that have crippled Canadian soccer for decades.

A good teacher/coach can do wonders for a student/player but equally a poor teacher/coach can do a lot of damage. What is Hart's experience? Head coach of King of Donair? Years of failure as a national team coach at both the youth and senior level? We just got our ass kicked in WC qualifying after scraping through a minnow qualifying round under Hart. It is time we started to take things seriously and provide our teams with qualified successful coaches at every level and the youth teams are the future thus just as important as the senior team. We need to budget more for coaches and if we can't we need to search hard in some successful footballing nations where the salaries are lower so we can find fully qualified coaches at every level.

I will give Fleming a pass because he has had success at the U17 level. I do have some doubts about him but on rare occasions there are coaches who on the surface of it don't seem terribly qualified but are actually good coaches. Fleming may be like that or at a higher age group may show his deficiencies. But keep the rest of the unqualified, poorly experienced CSA house coaches away from out national teams at all levels and start hiring real professionals. Having Hart there is just more of the same CSA policy failures that have crippled Canadian soccer for decades.

I would attribute Flemmings success to the talent at his disposal. We all know the players coming through the system are technically, tactically, and professionally more advanced than their predecessors.

For what it is worth, I have had coaches who worked directly with Hart at NTC Atlantic and they say he is a great soccer mind. Hart is very well respected in the soccer community. I would be surprised if you have spoken with coaches involved in Canadian soccer that share your opinion of him. I also have a friend/teammate who has played at NTC. Once again, nothing but great things.

Flemming on the other hand is not spoken about with the same admiration. Not to say he is a bad coach, but certainly Hart appears to be admired more.

Ironically, Harts time with King of Donair highlights his coaching ability. That team regularly challenged for national medals in a tournament dominated by the big four provinces. I believe they won under Hart as well.

I have no problem with him helping out with our youth teams. Not using a guy with his knowledge and credentials is a waste of resources. Say what you want but at the end of the day he is a former senior national team coach (not to mention he got us the closest to the HEX in recent years)

For what it is worth, I have had coaches who worked directly with Hart at NTC Atlantic and they say he is a great soccer mind. Hart is very well respected in the soccer community. I would be surprised if you have spoken with coaches involved in Canadian soccer that share your opinion of him.

I have personally heard something different.

I have no problem with him helping out with our youth teams. Not using a guy with his knowledge and credentials is a waste of resources. Say what you want but at the end of the day he is a former senior national team coach (not to mention he got us the closest to the HEX in recent years)

Whether you believe Hart is a good trainer/coach/tactician/or whatever else, is your opinion. But this last statement has to be the worst rationale for keeping him around with our youth teams.

Hart was under qualified and should never have been given the positions he has held in the first place. Surely Hart isn't now more qualified for a youth coaching position based on having been a previously under qualified manager for an older team!?

Archived