Coach Speculation for NASL Ottawa Fury

Trillium

From the Fury.... site: Until a Head Coach is hired interested players are asked to send their CV and Videos to info@ottawafury.com

But the question is who would you hire as coach for a NASL franchise, lets assume a salary range of $100,000 to 200,000.

Canadians ?

I would see John Liminiatas who was with Impact as viable, lives in Montreal so close and has background playing in Ottawa, knows the community and has experience in A-League NASL.

Americans ?

Jesse Marsh, perhaps bitten by Canadian Teams with Active ownership, but certainly he must fancy a chance to show more of his club coaching skill. and if the CSA is looking for inexpensive alternative they could appoint him as part time National men's Teach coach.

Internationals ?

Velizar Popov

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velizar_Popov

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things for coaches considering entering this league are;

No draft system to negotiate.

Owners budget will determine who you can attract to the club.

You may well find yourself at the heart of Promotional effort to "Big Up " the club before next years kick off.

there will of course be far more other factors

I heard a rumor a few times that Martin Painter (coach of Forest City London) has been lined up for the job. He is an excellent up and coming Canadian coach and FC London has been a big success most notably winning the PDL last year. He is both a raw raw kind of guy but also knows his tactics.

That salary range sounds too high for that level.

I would tend to agree, but who knows what the Owners put aside for the first year. Balance is always the same. Too much outlay of funds and you run the risk of going bust before you can get up and running. Too little and you'll look too much like a Bush league Outfit. Add to the fact that the owner(s) may have to lock into a mind set that says "In the first three to five years we expect to Burn through X number of dollars without any expectation of payback.

I imagine a local sports (soccer) Journo would probably have a handel on the Fury's budgetary aspirations/ intentions by now.

anybody???

I would tend to agree, but who knows what the Owners put aside for the first year. Balance is always the same. Too much outlay of funds and you run the risk of going bust before you can get up and running. Too little and you'll look too much like a Bush league Outfit. Add to the fact that the owner(s) may have to lock into a mind set that says "In the first three to five years we expect to Burn through X number of dollars without any expectation of payback.

I imagine a local sports (soccer) Journo would probably have a handel on the Fury's budgetary aspirations/ intentions by now.

anybody???

So, Richard Starnes.

Is he still in the Vancouver area? I think one of his kids goes to Capilano U on the North Shore.

He was in Norway. He was going to coach in the Bengal Premier League Soccer, but I don't think that league ever got off the ground or is still waiting to do so.

How baout Shaun Harris. I know he is American but he did a decent job with Capital City when it was in the CSL, helped LA with a double (MLS Cup and Open Cup). He is know a bit here in Ottawa mind you here would be be lucky to get 25% of the population here to know what league TFC are in

• 1 month later...

I wasn't joking about Teitur, I think he was a great coach.

I loved how he thought giving young Canadians a legitimate chance was his mandate. In spite of this, he also coached somewhat attractive soccer. When I think of the number of Canadians he gave a legitimate chance, colour me impressed. A third of his final NASL roster were Canadians. He gave Kyle Porter, Ethan Gage, Philippe Davies, Luca Bellisomo, Terry Dunfield, Marcus Haber, Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Russell Teibert and future Canadian Gershon Koffie's careers a fighting chance. Even Alex Elliott. In spite of their birth certificate if he saw talent he'd let them play and would even allow them to develop while playing. He could recognize talent. He was also brave: daring to replace an aging Eduardo Sebrango with players like Marcus Haber and Cornelius Stewart.

To compare him to Martin Rennie, Russel Teibert was clearly ready to play, but Rennie waited until he was twice as good as anyone else to put him on the pitch. It's almost as if it's not Scottish it's crap and if it's Canadian it's crap.

I'm not saying I'm completely unhappy with Rennie, though his style of game is rather boring by times or maybe his style just obviates scoring. Anyway compared to Tommy Soehn he's a genius.

I do think the organization was unfair to Teitur, the reason they fired him was Montreal was about to sign Rennie and the only way the Whitecaps could justify signing Rennie instead was to fire Teitur and replace him with an interim coach.

Recently Teitur signed with fourth tier Funnefoss/Vormsund Idrettslag (FuVo) in Oppåkermoen, Norway. I'm not sure why he'd sign below his ability, either he wanted to stay close to home or he needs a pay cheque after being hard done by in Vancouver and Bengal.

One wouldn't think he'd sign long term, unless he wants the challenge of taking a team from 4th tier to the Tippeligaen. So for the reasons stated if Teitur were available Ottawa should sign him.

I like TT as well. I believe he signed a temp contract with that 4th division team due to the fact he has a contract with that Bengal group. Might be something in he language there. As he did receive requests to work for Div 1. Clubs.

I am not sure of how his wallet is doing but if I were him he needs to stay up to date with the game. He should ask his buddy Arsene whenever he can come and watch his tactics etc for a week or two. Or anywhere where he has connections. Read somewhere that a polish coach paid 50k EUROS for 2weeks stay with some Ligue 1 team. Our MLS coaches need that too here

I believe he signed a temp contract with that 4th division team due to the fact he has a contract with that Bengal group.

I would think Bengal's (Barasat) breached their contract by now, but perhaps Teitur did sign a FuVo contract with an out, if a more attractive option comes along. This article I've google translated seems to imply he's there for the season, at least:

Celebrity Trainer agreed to FUVO

KONGSVINGER: He has been the captain of the Iceland national team and coached clubs like Fire, Yokohama and Vancouver Whitecaps. Now FUVO next stop.

Teitur Thordarson was Wednesday night agreed with the local 3 division club. Thus fell the last piece in place, just four days before the series starts.

- In considering the exercise capacity and what the 3rd division team and the club will again, is not this expensive solution, says FUVO Leader Tom Hagen determined.

Most people who follow the Norwegian football, knows enough left name FUVOs new head coach.

Teitur Thordarson has coached the Norwegian top clubs Brann, Lillestrøm and Lyn, before the club went bankrupt. He has also trained Europa League Team Flora Tallinn and Vanouver Whitecaps in the American professional league.

Before the 2012 season was Teitur Thordarson one of six coaches to lead their respective teams in a new Indian professional league. One of the players on his team was one of the world's most famous strikers of all time, Hernan Crespo.

But the league did not start, partly because of security problems and dangerous pitch.

The new FUVO coach also has a long career as a player. Among other things, the captain had 41 caps for Iceland and professional adventures in France for the Cannes and Lens.

- We are very pleased to have this training solution. He was never in our thoughts. But Friday we talked with another candidate for the job. He could not but thought we should try to talk with Teitur. After two meetings we agreed, saying a fond FUVO leader.

Teitur Thordarson followed yesterday's workout from the sidelines. Friday he leads his first FUVO-training, while the first league match against expecting Quotes Sunday.

This winter was actually FUVO promotion favorite favorite among bookmakers. Then it was Rune Hagen who trained team.

But even after 10 weeks of collaboration. Hagen got the red card in the cup game against Fields a few weeks ago. Before the game was blown off, was already the coach on the way home. He sent the same evening a message to Chairman Tom Hagen that he would quit his post.

Had the pleasure of watching Nick Dasovic with the Montreal Impact in the early 90ies, dude loves the game, and would be an excellent choice.

was also mentioned in connection to the Eddies Job prior to Miller, although how realistic that was (ergo, application made etc.) depends on which memebers of the ESG you talk to.

Archived