Paul Hamilton is done in Edmonton

madmonte

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The situation had been coming. Paul had been in camp from day 1 this year but was not named to the roster in the first round of contracts.

Rumours were that he didn't fit Colin Millers plans , which seemed strange for an NASL all star for the year not to be considered a shoe-in, regardless of the new regeime. Theory now seems to be that it may have indeed been contracts talks which broke down, with the parties not been able to agree.

Paul leaves the eddies as a free agent, but I believe his MLS right (should he get picked up by an MLS side)would be with the caps.

Could someone please tell me wtf happened there? The true story, please, not the polite press release or stock tweets coming out of Edmonton. I get it when Stinsin gets released fron TFC but a Canadian NASL allstar? Was this just money or...? Proper journalism in 3...2...1...

Paul leaves the eddies as a free agent, but I believe his MLS right (should he get picked up by an MLS side)would be with the caps.

I think Hamilton would be vulnerable to the discovery claim system. He left the Whitecaps PDL team after 2009 and, to my knowledge, never had a first team contract; the Whitecaps (probably) wouldn't have had any claim on him when they went up at the end of 2010.

I'm willing to give Colin Miller the benefit of the doubt. I think the organization needed the shake up. Did he make a mistake in letting Hammy go? I'm not sure, he's brought in some solid veterns. I'm hopefull they'll contribute a bit more on set plays than Hammy did at least.

Check with the 11.ca. I'm sure steve will have something by the end of the day.

But money is probably an Issue yes. If so, Look to see Hammy in a COSMOS shirt come the Fall?

So after the Interview this is apparently not the case. Miller also noted "something" in his game that needed to be worked upon.

So , sleeping this over I began recalling Eddies games from last year, and all I can think of is that at the times where Hammy last ditch tackles, and chasebacks got Edmonton out of a hole on numerous occasions may (and I repate only may) have been seen by the new coach as been the result of Hammys lack of positional sense.

Look, I'm not saying that is the case and I don't have evidence to prove it, but It's a thought right?

So after the Interview this is apparently not the case. Miller also noted "something" in his game that needed to be worked upon.

So , sleeping this over I began recalling Eddies games from last year, and all I can think of is that at the times where Hammy last ditch tackles, and chasebacks got Edmonton out of a hole on numerous occasions may (and I repate only may) have been seen by the new coach as been the result of Hammys lack of positional sense.

Look, I'm not saying that is the case and I don't have evidence to prove it, but It's a thought right?

I believe many of us are gobsmacked by this decision and as a result are searching for an explanation that makes some logical sense. Given that, maybe we are inclined to grasp at straws but what you have hypothesized is better than anything I was able to dream up. My devil's advocate response would be that if Hammy had to save the day (or the play) where the f**k was everybody else on the team when that happened? It feels like no good deed goes unpunished with a decision like this. I get starting over and making a lot of changes but why throw out when of the best things we had going last year? Winner of NASL Best XI and the ESG Player of the Year, and then tossed out on his ass even if he would have taken a pay cut.

This really pi**es me off. Last year we have the Matt Lam drama and the Saiko benching. Then they fire Tom Leip, who I really liked as a person, but might have underperformed in the job (not sure either way). Now Hamilton is gone so what is next? More pressure on Saiko during the coming year? When the club sets about getting rid of the people who connect me to it, they give me less reason to support them passionately and without reservation. Not happy here, at all. :mad:

Miller gives Hammy one last kick in the pants on the way out and then take a sideways swipe at the Canadian content from last year.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/03/20/incoming-fc-edmonton-head-coach-colin-miller-making-moves-to-reshape-squad

"He was a good player for the club, and in my opinion, we’re now going to a different level. “We didn’t see Paul as part of the plan. I’ve spoken to him about his strengths and his weaknesses and we’ve now brought in a Trinidad and Tobago international and a Northern Ireland international to fill that role. We’ve been able to keep Paul fit and hopefully he’ll be able to find another club.”

“I know there was a big Canadian content on the team last season, and the team finished last in the league,” Miller said. “I’m not saying the Canadian players are bad, but we need to bring in a better standard of player to help those Canadian players.

I wonder how many clubs in Trinidad or Northern Island would be proud to be turfing out a local boy and league all star in favour of on occasional Canadian international, like JBB or Peters. I would guess not one.

Miller gives Hammy one last kick in the pants on the way out and then take a sideways swipe at the Canadian content from last year.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/03/20/incoming-fc-edmonton-head-coach-colin-miller-making-moves-to-reshape-squad

"He was a good player for the club, and in my opinion, we’re now going to a different level. “We didn’t see Paul as part of the plan. I’ve spoken to him about his strengths and his weaknesses and we’ve now brought in a Trinidad and Tobago international and a Northern Ireland international to fill that role. We’ve been able to keep Paul fit and hopefully he’ll be able to find another club.”

“I know there was a big Canadian content on the team last season, and the team finished last in the league,” Miller said. “I’m not saying the Canadian players are bad, but we need to bring in a better standard of player to help those Canadian players.

I wonder how many clubs in Trinidad or Northern Island would be proud to be turfing out a local boy and league all star in favour of on occasional Canadian international, like JBB or Peters. I would guess not one.

One never knows why someone leaves a club behind the scenes. But remembering from days gone by when the Impact played FCE Hamilton was one of the best players not just on FCE but also in league. Maybe Miller has some connection to the new players. Maybe FCE expected him to take a pay cut from peanuts without problem. Who knows. Remember Miller criticized Porter somewhat harshly when he was thinking about tranferring to DCU also. One can only hope Hamilton has some options too. At the very least Miller has set himself up to succeed or fail bigtime. Because if Porter and Hamilton succeed ahnd FCE does not then Miller's coaching career should be finished. And finished with a very big classless kick in the pants like he gave Hamilton.

And as a club neutral to FCE, Miller is not starting with a lot of good will so he better deliver fast.

Yup.

I'm reminded of the collision between Paul and an opponent when we were quiet and worried about Paul laying on the ground and his mother yelling "Get up you wus."

Losing Hammy is losing a heart and soul highlight reel player. This is gutting. Colin Miller has forgotten more about soccer than I have ever known, but it feels like this is the wrong call. I hope I am not right.

All the best Hammy.

Albert Watson was a U-23 Northern Ireland international. He's not a full international.

So lets get this straight. They ask arguably the face of the franchise, Alberta raised, and NASL All star to take a pay cut, and when he refuses, they let him walk.

Then you have Colin Miller, a man who's won sweet fack all, but still manages to contaminate Canadian Soccer. ( He's still involved with the men's national team) The CSA must be impressed by his Scottish accent.

This is coming from a man that is part of the current coaching staff of the CMNT. He seems to value power house football countries like TT and NI, above our own. Funny how things change, FC Edmonton had a foreign coach with plenty of Canadians on the roster, to a Canadian manger who wants to better the standard, by bringing in players from countries considered to be minnows of the football world.

So lets get this straight. They ask arguably the face of the franchise, Alberta raised, and NASL All star to take a pay cut, and when he refuses, they let him walk.

Then you have Colin Miller, a man who's won sweet fack all, but still manages to contaminate Canadian Soccer. ( He's still involved with the men's national team) The CSA must be impressed by his Scottish accent.

This is coming from a man that is part of the current coaching staff of the CMNT. He seems to value power house football countries like TT and NI, above our own. Funny how things change, FC Edmonton had a foreign coach with plenty of Canadians on the roster, to a Canadian manger who wants to better the standard, by bringing in players from countries considered to be minnows of the football world.

I wonder if there are these types of posts when coaches from lesser European leagues sign Canadian players on their message boards.

(Miller has signed a fair few Canadians this off-season. Five Academy kids, of whom four are Canadian and one will be, Massimo Mirabelli, Edson Edward, and Michael Nonni. The loss of Hamilton, while awful and a mistake, is not a trend.)

I wonder if there are these types of posts when coaches from lesser European leagues sign Canadian players on their message boards.

(Miller has signed a fair few Canadians this off-season. Five Academy kids, of whom four are Canadian and one will be, Massimo Mirabelli, Edson Edward, and Michael Nonni. The loss of Hamilton, while awful and a mistake, is not a trend.)

If those Canadian players are brought in to replace their best home grown talent, then bet your kilt that they do.

What's wrong with Paul Hamilton helping to bring younger Canadian players along? Oh wait, he doesn't have the same standard as players coming from NI and TT. Let's hope it doesn't become a trend, because it's plain stupid. It also shows the poor decision making skills, of coaches involved with the MNT.

Why does this have to be a conspiracy? Isn't it possible that Colin Miller just doesn't think that highly of him. And if that is the case, what is wrong with that? Shouldn't the new coach have the opportunity to fill out his roster with players that he has confidence in? In a way, this reminds me of when Martin Rennie came to Vancouver. He moved out fan favorites and brought in his guys. Sure, it sucked from a fan's perspective, but you need to give him that opportunity.

If Paul Hamilton indeed is the calibre of an NASL First XI player, then he should have no problem finding another gig in the league. Miller will have his guys, Hamilton will be playing someplace else. Everybody wins.

If Hamilton doesn't catch on elsewhere, then maybe Miller was right all along.

On a side note, I went to watch the FC Edmonton inter squad game yesterday. Mallan Roberts is a beast! I little bit of seasoning for this kid and he could be really good.

Archived