Bryce Alderson

Dub Narcotic

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alderson played plenty of reserves soccer. That's not the problem.

1. Obviously he didn't show much progress there.

2. The MLS reserves league was completely bogus with just a few matches, a lot of them being cancelled and squads made out of guest players. If it had been any good, the whole USL Pro thing was't necessary.

1. Obviously he didn't show much progress there.

2. The MLS reserves league was completely bogus with just a few matches, a lot of them being cancelled and squads made out of guest players. If it had been any good, the whole USL Pro thing was't necessary.

We'll have to agree to disagree on 1; when I saw him play I thought he showed the required quality.

Sure, USL Pro will have more games than the MLS Reserves League. This will help. It will also have teams going off to Austin or Charleston, reducing the amount of time players at Alderson's level spend training with the first team. There will be fewer MLS-level players in the lineups; backup goalkeepers, bench defenders who need minutes, etc., since those players are needed for the first team and can't be sent away. And the basic structure, of guys getting reserve-level games but not a look when there are high-profile foreign players who can sell tickets available, remains. (It remains to be proven that the whole USL Pro thing is necessary compared to a proper reserve league - a lot of people are accepting MLS's PR at face value, as always).

We'll have to agree to disagree on 1; when I saw him play I thought he showed the required quality.

Sure, USL Pro will have more games than the MLS Reserves League. This will help. It will also have teams going off to Austin or Charleston, reducing the amount of time players at Alderson's level spend training with the first team. There will be fewer MLS-level players in the lineups; backup goalkeepers, bench defenders who need minutes, etc., since those e wasplayers are needed for the first team and can't be sent away. And the basic structure, of guys getting reserve-level games but not a look when there are high-profile foreign players who can sell tickets available, remains. (It remains to be proven that the whole USL Pro thing is necessary compared to a proper reserve league - a lot of people are accepting MLS's PR at face value, as always).

USL is a league that will actually have scheduled games. the MLS resereve league was a joke.

Yea that pretty much sums it up. I mean the TFC wankers have to shiet on Vancouver for something. I mean making the playoffs twice in 4 years is just nothing for a CLUB compared to flailing away and missing the playoffs for like ALWAYS.

Ouch....are you really being fair to TFC wankers...?

Please stop bragging about making the playoffs for 2 games in 3 years it's pathetic. 

Do you see TFC fans bragging about making the CCL semi final?  I think that trumps the 2 playoff games in 3 years.  Not to mention the 4 Voyageurs Cups.  But yes, Playoffs are everything!!!

It is pretty ridiculas that TFC have never made the play offs, ever. The club has been plauged by coaching instibility and poor management decisions in general.

That being said, this trend cannot go on forever, obviously. It will be interesting to see what will fuel the haters next, once Toronto finally makes it into the post season.

As Keegan points out, reaching the semi-finals of he CCL is one achievement that gets overlooked, along with the four Canadian Championships.

So 8 years in, 0 league playoff appearances, 4 domestic titles, 1 semi final CCL appearance. Not great, but not as catastrophic as some make out. There are good times ahead I am certain!

If you would have told me that TFC could have 4 Voyageurs Cups and a semi final appearance in the CCL by 2015 I definitely would have taken that over a playoff game.  Unless you make the final of MLS cup you really haven't won anything.

No one is going to look back in the history books and marvel over the time(s) Vancouver/Montreal got knocked out in the wild card game.  And no one will look back if/when TFC make the playoffs and get knocked out in the wild card game.  People do however remember Montreal's CCL run in 08-09 and their Voyageurs Cups. 

Maybe one day Vancouver can add some silverware to their 2011- history but until then they have nothing on TFC to brag about.  And no we don't care how many Cascadia cups you win.

Lets keep it on topic, rather than harking back to another tfc/vw slagging match.

It's clear Alderson was just not rated. Certainly not as highly as the players they have and have brought in. Robinson's quotes about Mckendry not only support that but also act as encouragement that the path of opportunity for younger players will not be blocked at the club. Underlying factor is, if you are good enough and better options aren't available you will get your chance. Alderson might well work for another club but the whitecaps staff felt they had better players at the club in the same position and he wanted first team football.

Where did this "scheduled games" thing come from? The MLS Reserve League had a schedule. I saw it! I went to games at the time it said and a game happened!

Yes there was a schedule (except in 2009 and -10, when MLS couldn't be bothered to create one).

For instance in 2014, when Montreal Impact Reserves had a whopping 11 games to play. Two of which were cancelled at the last moment. I don't know how many were postponed. The games they did play were mostly MLS players who didn't play that weekend, combined with some youth players (which is good) AND guest players (which makes no sense other then being able to field a team). All in all it was seen more as a burden that a vehicle for development.

Hence the decision to create a team in USL Pro, with meaningful games, against seasoned pro's, in front or real audiences (in a lot of cases at least). Ok there won't be as many MLS players in the league (probably), but I don't see that as a bad thing. After all, it's a real league with prizes, not just an opportunity to gain / keep match-fitness (which used to be the case for MLS-players). The only thing is, you could wonder if the league is still "real" or will become more and more developmental (especially in the Western Conference).

And going back to topic, Alderson is a free agent so he'll probably resurface son enough. I mean why wouldn't TFC2 or Montreal FC won't take a chance on him in ULS Pro IF they see something in the kid?

Yes there was a schedule (except in 2009 and -10, when MLS couldn't be bothered to create one).

For instance in 2014, when Montreal Impact Reserves had a whopping 11 games to play. Two of which were cancelled at the last moment. I don't know how many were postponed. The games they did play were mostly MLS players who didn't play that weekend, combined with some youth players (which is good) AND guest players (which makes no sense other then being able to field a team). All in all it was seen more as a burden that a vehicle for development.

Hence the decision to create a team in USL Pro, with meaningful games, against seasoned pro's, in front or real audiences (in a lot of cases at least). Ok there won't be as many MLS players in the league (probably), but I don't see that as a bad thing. After all, it's a real league with prizes, not just an opportunity to gain / keep match-fitness (which used to be the case for MLS-players). The only thing is, you could wonder if the league is still "real" or will become more and more developmental (especially in the Western Conference).

And going back to topic, Alderson is a free agent so he'll probably resurface son enough. I mean why wouldn't TFC2 or Montreal FC won't take a chance on him in ULS Pro IF they see something in the kid?

I think because Alderson said he didn't want to play in USL anymore. Although if there is nothing for him out there I wouldn't be surprised if he opts to go to either FC Montreal or TFC2

Not to say the whitecaps staff didn't rate him either, the just didn't rate him as highly as what they had, which in turn left him with lesser role than he wanted. Ultimately they rate him Less than he rates himself and where he needs to be, which is fine. He needs first team football and had the looks of breaking through to get MLS appearances Imo. IIRC the release was amicable wasn't it?

Other coaching staff might rate him differently or their set up might just be a better fit. I am sure he will land on his feet, surprised he hasn't turned up in any training camps yet but if Europe is his preference that is probably why.

Will be interesting to see if he still figures the same under Floro and in preference to Mckendry come the end of the year.

• 1 month later...

There is an article in the latest issue of Plastic Pitch magazine that discusses how Alderson was offered a spot on Whitecaps 2 for this year, but turned it down. It sounds like Alderson just wanted to go in a different direction after being with the club for 4 years and not having seen a single minute of action on the first team. Also mentioned that he's trying to make a go of it in Europe, a direction he could have gone in after the 2011 U-17 World Cup when he instead decided to sign with the Whitecaps.

Sounded like there was no hard feelings based on the article.

There is an article in the latest issue of Plastic Pitch magazine that discusses how Alderson was offered a spot on Whitecaps 2 for this year, but turned it down. It sounds like Alderson just wanted to go in a different direction after being with the club for 4 years and not having seen a single minute of action on the first team. Also mentioned that he's trying to make a go of it in Europe, a direction he could have gone in after the 2011 U-17 World Cup when he instead decided to sign with the Whitecaps.

Sounded like there was no hard feelings based on the article.

Or exactly what I said a couple of months ago, but everyone was on the #whitecapshatecanada band wagon.

Or exactly what I said a couple of months ago, but everyone was on the #whitecapshatecanada band wagon.

I'm not sure "he got a chance to play even more reserve soccer!" is as decisive a #whitecapshatecanada contradiction as you might like.

Kid hasn't shown anything yet. He should be happy with the opportunity of playing a full year of "reserve soccer". Good luck in Europe though, most clubs love 21 yr old players with 14 professional games.

Ya except when he went head to head with US golden boy Bradley in his first and only 2 PRO games ever and his club brought it to penalties.  But that doesn't count I guess?  I mean bottom line is we don't see training but we can go by what we've witnessed in matches and while Vancouver is/was deep at central midfield Alderson deserved at least 1 league minute from those performances and it's absolute crap that he never got it.  No ifs, ands or buts.  Unless this guy was the worst player in training and had an attitude problem I can't see why he would never get ONE bloody minute.

The offer to sign for he USL Pro team doesn't look too bad to me, is all I'm saying. Every other club in the world would have him trialling, which is always a longshot. It would prob have been better if they had that team 4 years ago, but they didn't and he has yet to make an impact anywhere.

Archived