Bryce Alderson

Dub Narcotic

As an Eddies season ticket holder, Nasl is no joke. A lot of players could be in MLS.

Absolutely, but not really part of the global transfer market system and given next to no respect by MLS, so playing in NASL leaves a young player like Alderson with next to no market value, which in turn inhibits career progression. Has nothing to do with quality of play.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely, but not really part of the global transfer market system and given next to no respect by MLS, so playing in NASL leaves a young player like Alderson with next to no market value, which in turn inhibits career progression. Has nothing to do with quality of play.

I think that is starting to change. More players are moving from the second tier to MLS. Kandji went from Atlanta to MLS to Europe. Mulholland made a nice jump this year. Obviously a lot of eyes are on Ibara now. We all expect Boakai to move before to long.

Alderson just needs to play. If that level is NASL, fine. He just needs to play. And if he plays well enough, he will move up.

I like how there's always an excuse for the fact that the Whitecaps will pick a foreign player over a domestic every time. Listen, everyone, the last four seasons have just been a series of remarkable and unfortunate coincidences where exceptional young Canadians who killed it at every level they got an opportunity at were squeezed out of the eighteen! It's not a question of where their priorities lie at all, really!

I like how there's always an excuse for the fact that the Whitecaps will pick a foreign player over a domestic every time. Listen, everyone, the last four seasons have just been a series of remarkable and unfortunate coincidences where exceptional young Canadians who killed it at every level they got an opportunity at were squeezed out of the eighteen! It's not a question of where their priorities lie at all, really!

Like Teibert and Adekugbe! Oh wait. They worked hard, took the opportunities as they came, got a nice contract renewal in one case and look like a great pair of signings.

"last four seasons have just been a series of remarkable and unfortunate coincidences where exceptional young Canadians who killed it at every level they got an opportunity at were squeezed out of the eighteen!".

You wouldn't happen to have a list would you? Didn't think so.

And where are they now?

Squeezed out of the 18? How about "Never made the jump to the MLS level while at the Whitecaps".

How was Bryce "squeezed out of the 18? Oh right TFC gave us Laba which pushed hin down to 4th in the DM spot (By the way thanks a ton for Mattias, great player).

They get a contract that pays a lot of money and get to train in a first rate pro environment and THEY FAIL TO TAKE A SPOT and this is the Whitecaps fault. Do you really think Alderson is better than Laba, Koffie, Teibert? Sorry, I don't.

I hope things work out for him and I was sad to see him go but he was given great opportunities. He just didn't make it work at the Whitecaps. Maybe he will somewhere else. I hope so. But there in lies the problem you and others have with this issue. You don't see 100k a year salary, playing in V's Cup & reserves games plus all the academy time for free as opportunities?

What exact "opportunity" are you expecting? "Given minutes at the MLS level"? Ha good one. This is supposed to be a pro sport. You're on the 30 and getting paid. Make or break from there on up on your own. You don't like it? See ya. We got lots more coming up.

Most of the players being developed by the clubs will not end up playing for those clubs. It's really just that simple. Spots are few and competition is tough. Most will have to find a team with a weakness where they are specialized at.

Like Teibert and Adekugbe! Oh wait. They worked hard, took the opportunities as they came, got a nice contract renewal in one case and look like a great pair of signings.

"last four seasons have just been a series of remarkable and unfortunate coincidences where exceptional young Canadians who killed it at every level they got an opportunity at were squeezed out of the eighteen!".

You wouldn't happen to have a list would you? Didn't think so.

And where are they now?

Squeezed out of the 18? How about "Never made the jump to the MLS level while at the Whitecaps".

How was Bryce "squeezed out of the 18? Oh right TFC gave us Laba which pushed hin down to 4th in the DM spot (By the way thanks a ton for Mattias, great player).

They get a contract that pays a lot of money and get to train in a first rate pro environment and THEY FAIL TO TAKE A SPOT and this is the Whitecaps fault. Do you really think Alderson is better than Laba, Koffie, Teibert? Sorry, I don't.

I hope things work out for him and I was sad to see him go but he was given great opportunities. He just didn't make it work at the Whitecaps. Maybe he will somewhere else. I hope so. But there in lies the problem you and others have with this issue. You don't see 100k a year salary, playing in V's Cup & reserves games plus all the academy time for free as opportunities?

What exact "opportunity" are you expecting? "Given minutes at the MLS level"? Ha good one. This is supposed to be a pro sport. You're on the 30 and getting paid. Make or break from there on up on your own. You don't like it? See ya. We got lots more coming up.

Most of the players being developed by the clubs will not end up playing for those clubs. It's really just that simple. Spots are few and competition is tough. Most will have to find a team with a weakness where they are specialized at.

Sam Adekugbe has played 283 MLS minutes in two seasons despite being up against an absolutely God-awful left back for playing time. He was benched in the playoffs for God-awful Left Back and Ethan Sampson.

Russell Teibert once went almost an entire MLS season without playing and is jerked around the lineup or benched at a whim. He, also, was benched in the playoffs, in exchange for Rusty Gershon Koffie.

Randy Edwini-Bonsu was cut by the Whitecaps without even getting a preseason trial. He is currently doing reasonably well in Germany.

Philippe Davies was cut by the Whitecaps without playing a minute, Tom Soehn callously wasting a year of prime development time. He's finally getting his career back on track in Ottawa despite being cut off.

Ben Fisk was never given a professional contract by the Whitecaps because Erik Hurtado is just so good; he, also, lost a year of prime development time in 2013 to the Whitecaps. He's getting his career off to a good start with Coruxo.

Bryce was "squeezed out of the 18" by never being given a chance, and by the team constantly chasing foreign players like the omnipotent John Thorrington, mighty Jun Marques Davidson and the legendary Matt Watson rather than play him. No, he's not better than Matias Laba. It's like the Whitecaps have a philosophy of "oh, we can't give those Canadians a look, we better bring in a DP rather than play one and hopefully we can exit in the first round of the playoffs again."

I admit that, after four MLS seasons, I do not have a massive list of Premier League all-stars who the Whitecaps ruined then cut. But I also happen to think that Canadian soccer teams have a responsibility to Canadian soccer. If all I care about is willing I'll go cheer for Barcelona; I leave worshipping MLS franchises to others.

Sam Adekugbe has played 283 MLS minutes in two seasons despite being up against an absolutely God-awful left back for playing time. He was benched in the playoffs for God-awful Left Back and Ethan Sampson.

Russell Teibert once went almost an entire MLS season without playing and is jerked around the lineup or benched at a whim. He, also, was benched in the playoffs, in exchange for Rusty Gershon Koffie.

Randy Edwini-Bonsu was cut by the Whitecaps without even getting a preseason trial. He is currently doing reasonably well in Germany.

Philippe Davies was cut by the Whitecaps without playing a minute, Tom Soehn callously wasting a year of prime development time. He's finally getting his career back on track in Ottawa despite being cut off.

Ben Fisk was never given a professional contract by the Whitecaps because Erik Hurtado is just so good; he, also, lost a year of prime development time in 2013 to the Whitecaps. He's getting his career off to a good start with Coruxo.

Bryce was "squeezed out of the 18" by never being given a chance, and by the team constantly chasing foreign players like the omnipotent John Thorrington, mighty Jun Marques Davidson and the legendary Matt Watson rather than play him. No, he's not better than Matias Laba. It's like the Whitecaps have a philosophy of "oh, we can't give those Canadians a look, we better bring in a DP rather than play one and hopefully we can exit in the first round of the playoffs again."

I admit that, after four MLS seasons, I do not have a massive list of Premier League all-stars who the Whitecaps ruined then cut. But I also happen to think that Canadian soccer teams have a responsibility to Canadian soccer. If all I care about is willing I'll go cheer for Barcelona; I leave worshipping MLS franchises to others.

So your point is the Caps cut 3 players who are now bench players on teams in lower leagues than MLS?

This has to stop, this thread is cringeworthy.  If you're a true CMNT supporters than be pleased for this.  Masster said it best - this is best for the player.  It gives Alderson the opportunity to go play somewhere where he isnt stuck behind 3 very good and very young DM and get regular playing time.

All the best to him and good luck to him. 

As a Canadian supporter I would like to see the Whitecaps develop rather than waste talent. As a Vancouverite I want to cheer for a team that is connected to Canada. If you choose apologism, so be it.

Tell me, VWFC, how many seasons without developing Canadian first-teamers would it take for you to admit something is amiss?

As a Canadian supporter I would like to see the Whitecaps develop rather than waste talent. As a Vancouverite I want to cheer for a team that is connected to Canada. If you choose apologism, so be it.

Tell me, VWFC, how many seasons without developing Canadian first-teamers would it take for you to admit something is amiss?

I see the other side of the coin, the process and the long term plan.  You want it now.  It's all been said before, not sure what else I can add that you havent already heard.

I personally think the big missing piece has been the absence of a usl side. No matter the talent a player has, it is really difficult to make the jump from u18 to mls. very few players can do it. So I think with these sides likely starting next year for all 3 mls sides, you will see more Canadians make the jump over the next few years.

I personally think the big missing piece has been the absence of a usl side. No matter the talent a player has, it is really difficult to make the jump from u18 to mls. very few players can do it. So I think with these sides likely starting next year for all 3 mls sides, you will see more Canadians make the jump over the next few years.

This ^

Nowhere in the world are players expected to go from 18 year old academy players to 1st team starters in top leagues in one year.

The missing lower level team is so crucial.

I see the other side of the coin, the process and the long term plan. You want it now. It's all been said before, not sure what else I can add that you havent already heard.

The Vancouver Whitecaps are a 28-year-old club which, for most of those 28 years, were very successful giving Canadians tens of thousands of minutes a season.

I do not feel that I am being impatient.

I can understand why many Canadians on the caps have been passed over or not played for sure but I just find certain things frustrating.

- Alderson played two good games against TFC/Bradley, yet can't see another minute.. ever?

- Teibert's playing time/handling over the years

- Absolute indifference to whether Canadians play on the club or not

- Most foreign club in the world (one year? okay. 4 years? enough is enough.)

I'm not saying that the options they have passed over were good enough but FFS you can't look at your team and say "Hey, we should seriously trade for or sign a Canadian to start week in and out, this looks bad"?  And I'm talking a MNT regular.. but even a guy like Kyle Porter or Adam Straith for depth wouldn't hurt.

You are delusional. Sam Adekugbe  plays behind a decent experienced MLS LB named Jordan Harvey. That is who he has to beat out for a starting spot. Watch for that transition to occur over the next couple of years as Harvey is now 30. 

Russell has played 1917 minutes this year. More than his 1777 last. He is 21. He has been resigned with a raise and is progressing nicely. Oh 2 years ago he didn't play much (107 minutes) as a 19 year old and that is unexpected? Of all your examples this one is just laughable. That is what you consider "jerked around"? Good one. LMAO. 

REB I miss and I'm glad he had a great season in Finland and landed with a D2 team in Germany for a couple of years but not much playing time. Currently with a D3 team and 718 minutes (already ahead of his 710 from last year). But he chose to leave and not take the offer the Caps made and pursue his career in Europe.

Phil was decent but didn't develop at the Caps and is now getting playing time a division lower. Maybe he will bounce back, I hope so, but at the time was he MLS level? No.  

Ben Fisk never signed a pro contract with the Whitecaps because they couldn't agree on terms so he decided to try his luck elsewhere. How is that the Caps fault in any way? 

Bryce was how old when Thor played for us? Hint he's 20 now. JMD for all the criticism he got was playing DM alone in front of a shaky back 4 and played very well. Not a Laba level but his experience worked. 

Do you really expect instant results and every player who comes up to be able to crack a decent MLS starting 11? Really? I'd love it if that were the case but if one in 10 can stick that's great results. Sorry but none of the players you mention have shown MLS level capability YET. Some may, some may not. But to dump on the Caps for not giving them a chance when the Caps have given them EVERY CHANCE to develop that they could ask for is just silly. 

What will it be next year? The Caps hate Canada because they only play their Canadians in USL Pro? Oh they don't give them a look in the MLS team they just play them in USL. 

Most players won't play for the team that developed them. Get used to it. Limited spots & tough competition. No first team playing time is given. It is taken. 

I can understand why many Canadians on the caps have been passed over or not played for sure but I just find certain things frustrating.

- Alderson played two good games against TFC/Bradley, yet can't see another minute.. ever?

- Teibert's playing time/handling over the years

- Absolute indifference to whether Canadians play on the club or not

- Most foreign club in the world (one year? okay. 4 years? enough is enough.)

I'm not saying that the options they have passed over were good enough but FFS you can't look at your team and say "Hey, we should seriously trade for or sign a Canadian to start week in and out, this looks bad"?  And I'm talking a MNT regular.. but even a guy like Kyle Porter or Adam Straith for depth wouldn't hurt.

You mean like Rob Friend? Oh never mind.

Please provide this list of Canadian pros who are available and can start in MLS.

You mean like Rob Friend? Oh never mind.

Please provide this list of Canadian pros who are available and can start in MLS.

Over the years?

I think we both know that half of our MNT has been unattached at least once in the past 4 years I don't need to make a list for you.

The Vancouver Whitecaps are a 28-year-old club which, for most of those 28 years, were very successful giving Canadians tens of thousands of minutes a season.

I do not feel that I am being impatient.

I don't understand.  Do the Caps hate Canada or have have they given tens of thousands of minutes? 

I don't think patient is a word I'd use. 

If Canadians can't transition from u18 USSDA to USLPro to MLS then the Caps have failed. To not have players move directly from u18 to MLS is not a failure. However, to have players, as Lord Bob said, like Davidson or Watson playing ahead of guys like Alderson is abysmal. And they deserve criticism for that. For the Caps to not respect their youth development system and sign and play guys like Fisk is abysmal, and they deserve criticism for that. 

If Canadians can't transition from u18 USSDA to USLPro to MLS then the Caps have failed. To not have players move directly from u18 to MLS is not a failure. However, to have players, as Lord Bob said, like Davidson or Watson playing ahead of guys like Alderson is abysmal. And they deserve criticism for that. For the Caps to not respect their youth development system and sign and play guys like Fisk is abysmal, and they deserve criticism for that. 

Are you suggesting that you're able to better evaluate talent than Robinson?

Not that your points deserve much attention, but Alderson was on loan last year in Charleston and if Fisk was half the player he's made out to be on this forum he'd be an MLS all star.

Here's an honest question for the Caps hate Canada crowd -

At what point will the criticism stop?  I'm looking for specifics.  Is it 8 Canadians on the roster?  2 guys with over 1000min played in all competitions?  4 guys with 500min played in all competitions?  Certain amount of CMNT caps in a year?  Certain amount of U23, U20, U17 Caps in a year?  

Archived