Official 2013 Gold Cup Travel, Accommodation & Ticket Thread

DontPanic

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[ATTACH]921[/ATTACH]

Let me know what you think of the song sheet.

Also I am aware that the chances of getting anything from the back page going are very low but I've put them on just in case!

You put the crappy lyrics to "Maple Leaf Forever" on there. Luckily, we'll be so busy singing "Summer of '69" it won't matter.

[ATTACH]921[/ATTACH]

Also I am aware that the chances of getting anything from the back page going are very low but I've put them on just in case!

Thanks for the song sheet. That is very helpful.

Working on a chant that I will want feedback on from you guys ... maybe I will Facebook it to Zee.

So what about Blue & White's idea for making a reservation at a pub. Time isn't too tight yet, but it might be a good idea to get on that. All we really need is a ball-park for numbers (realizing that will be hard to come up with). Should we just say 40 and hope that at least that many show up? By my count there are 68 tickets sold in section 100. I'm assuming most if not all of those people will want to be at the same pub and be on the march. I have zero experience organizing these things so I'm not sure what to expect. Is 40 too low of a number? Is 50 too high? Do candlesticks make a nice gift?

You put the crappy lyrics to "Maple Leaf Forever" on there. Luckily, we'll be so busy singing "Summer of '69" it won't matter.

What are the not crappy Maple Leaf Forever lyrics? I just stole those from the one Cal had previously posted.

What are the not crappy Maple Leaf Forever lyrics? I just stole those from the one Cal had previously posted.

Yeah, that guy is a dick. :) Ben, like myself, is a fan of "the thistle, shamrock, rose entwine - the maple leaf forever". But when I kicked this around, apart from that lyric, most preferred the sentiment of the newer version. (Land of immigrants, less monarchy etc.)

Anyway, glad to see it's on there. If you guys can pull if off, I'll be very sad I missed it. I've long said, we get Anne Murray to sing it on the Capo stand, then everyone will be on board.

[ATTACH]921[/ATTACH]

Good start. Below are a bunch of other short-ish chants. IMHO, we should nuke the long chants (perhaps except one) and replace with more short chants.

I've been at matches with small/intimate numbers of Voyageurs in Montreal and Vancouver where these long chants were attempted, and they failed miserably. People simply don't know the tunes. But if you have any suggestions how we can teach people these elaborate tunes, given that only a handful of us seem to be contributing to this thread, I'm open to suggestions.

----

Come on you Reds! (repeat)

Allez, allez allez allez,

les Rouges, les Rouges. (repeat)

Who’s not jumping’s not Canadian – Hey! Allez!

(clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2662660500/in/set-72157606131009732 )

Stand up... for the boys in red (repeat)

(tune: Go West, Pet Shop Boys)

(clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2661913037/in/set-72157606131009732 )

Ooh, Ahh, Canada,

Say ooh ahh Canada - hey hey!

(clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2662638678/in/set-72157606131009732 )

David Edgar, sha la la la la,

David Edgar, sha~~~ la la la la la. (repeat)

(example clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2662696750/in/set-72157606131009732 )

I’m Canada ‘til I die,

I’m Canada ‘til I die,

I know I am, I'm sure I am,

I’m Canada ‘til I die.

(clip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/drowcliffe/2663090978/in/set-72157606131009732)

Oh... Canada allez...

Canada allez, Canada allez, Canada allez~~~... (repeat)

(tune: Give us one more goal, from 1:17 -

)

We're here, we're there,

We are the atmosphere,

Voyageurs, Voyageurs.

We shall not, we shall not be moved,

We shall not, we shall not be moved,

Because we, the pride and soul of Canada,

We shall not be moved.

(clip, from 0:10:

)

The Reds came marching home again,

Hurrah, Hurrah,

The Reds came marching home again,

Hurrah, Hurrah,

We're down a goal but that's alright,

Cause Canada is dynamite,

And we all cheer on the Reds to win the Cup.

La la la la la la la la, la la, la la...

So what about Blue & White's idea for making a reservation at a pub. Time isn't too tight yet, but it might be a good idea to get on that. All we really need is a ball-park for numbers (realizing that will be hard to come up with). Should we just say 40 and hope that at least that many show up? By my count there are 68 tickets sold in section 100. I'm assuming most if not all of those people will want to be at the same pub and be on the march. I have zero experience organizing these things so I'm not sure what to expect. Is 40 too low of a number? Is 50 too high? Do candlesticks make a nice gift?

Pub reservation - number of seats

40 people at the pub sounds reasonable to me. I don't think that Thursday afternoon is exactly "prime time" for drinkers, so if our group turns out to be a bit larger than planned, I don't expect that to be a problem.

Pub reservation - leaving time (when we march)

However, we still need figure out a start time and an end time at the pub. To know the end time, we have to figure out what time the march leaves.

It seems to me that the majority (there's also one more guy on the Southsiders' forum) now want to watch both matches, so I'll assume that the march will now take place accordingly. Let's say the march takes 30 minutes, and security/entry takes 15 minutes...

Option 1 - If we want to be in our seats for kick-off of the first match (5:30pm KO), we should leave the pub at 4:45pm.

Option 2 (Rob's suggestion) - If we want to be in our seats within the opening 15 minutes of the first match, we should leave the pub at 5:00pm.

Not a big difference between the two, but which option do people prefer?

Pub reservation - starting time

If we leave the pub at 4:45/5:00pm, what's a reasonable start time at the pub? 3:00pm? Does anyone want earlier than that?

Making a decision about this is above my pay grade so I will defer to others :). However, 3 - 4:45 would be good (only issue might be check-in to hotels but we will try to swing it).

Since it's a Thursday are there going to be people coming down from Vancouver after work. Obviously they won't make the pub. That might also affect the numbers.

Thanks for the chant additions as well. Rounds out the repertoire quite nicely.

Good point re: check-in times. I actually now see that my check-in is at the late hour of 4:00pm! I think I'll personally have two sessions at Fado, with a hotel check-in sandwiched in between.

So we'll make a pub reservation for 40 people, from 3:00pm-4:45pm. But realistically, we'll probably have no more than 20 people until 3:45, I would guess? Perhaps we can make a "sliding" reservation. ;)

Jeff is rooming with me. All taken care of.

Personally I don't understand catching the early game. Thats just me. Did we get an answer with regard to leaving the first match and getting back in for the Canada match? Does any recall how much drinks were inside the Clink?

Personally I don't understand catching the early game. Thats just me.

People have paid ~$50 per seat for a double header, and might want to catch both games (since they've paid for them both). Plus, Canada's chance of advancing past the group stage may depend upon us beating Panama, so some people may want to see how Panama look in their second match.

However, I can certainly see the merit of having two more hours of pub time - especially since people will be checking in to hotels during mid-/late-afternoon, and an early march would rush things. Also, some people may not care about a match in which Canada isn't playing.

----

Currently it's 7-3 in favour of attending Canada-Mexico only (and thus the march leaving the pub at 6:45pm). Shall we say a deadline of Saturday, June 22nd at 3:00pm ET / 12:00pm PT for people to post their preference? That way we can make a reservation before the Mexico supporters start to eye Fado as their spillover venue.

Both matches

Lord Bob

matthew

Elisant (Southsiders' forum)

Canada-Mexico only

Sam

smiddy

rob.notenboom

tarnado

Blue and White Army (I changed my mind :P )

zeelaw

Addict (Southsiders' forum)

Canada-Mexico......

I think march numbers will suffer if we leave the bar too early. Plus we get all warmed up singing at the bar and on the march.....then we sit for two hours and lose all our momentum as supporters (or we lose our voices heckling Panama). We are there to support our national team, and we should focus all our energy behind that. Just my opinion.

Feck it - I'm changing my vote to Canada-Mexico only. I agree with tarnado's points re: momentum; and the afternoon hotel check-ins would make an early march a pain. Thinking about it again, I'd rather check-in to the hotel, relax for a bit, then have a couple of hours at the pub for a meal and some drinks, and then march.

So that's currently 5-3 in favour of Canada-Mexico only. Still almost two days for people to get their votes in.

The reasons I prefer to catch the early game are 1) duh, it's a quality, relevant soccer game I'd watch for free, 2) if I spend two hours fighting security to get the banners in and I just miss the early game that's all right then, 3) setup.

The reasons I prefer to catch the early game are 1) duh, it's a quality, relevant soccer game I'd watch for free, 2) if I spend two hours fighting security to get the banners in and I just miss the early game that's all right then, 3) setup.

Leaving at 6:45pm would give us:

* 30 minutes to march

* 45 minutes of security/entry and setup.

Assuming "Canada-Mexico only" wins, we could leave 15 minutes earlier (6:30pm instead of 6:45pm) to allow another 15 minutes to buy in-stadium beers, so that things are less rushed. That way, we would arrive at the stadium around 7:00pm, and would have an hour for security/entry/flag setup/beer purchasing.

What say ye all?

Leaving at 6:45pm would give us:

* 30 minutes to march

* 45 minutes of security/entry and setup.

Assuming "Canada-Mexico only" wins, we could leave 15 minutes earlier (6:30pm instead of 6:45pm) to allow another 15 minutes to buy in-stadium beers, so that things are less rushed. That way, we would arrive at the stadium around 7:00pm, and would have an hour for security/entry/flag setup/beer purchasing.

What say ye all?

I'll go with that. Will still maintain some momentum and won't have to worry about being late. Also we might catch a bit of the previous game. Like all battle plans, everything will probably change once we get going anyway :)

I'll go with that. Will still maintain some momentum and won't have to worry about being late. Also we might catch a bit of the previous game. Like all battle plans, everything will probably change once we get going anyway :)

And probably better to err on leaving slightly early than leaving slightly late, as there are usually a couple of people who end up asking/paying for their bill late and hold up the group. :)

The reasons I prefer to catch the early game are 1) duh, it's a quality, relevant soccer game I'd watch for free.

My thought is that I can drink at a pub every day of my life if I wanted to. I live in the middle of nowhere and my chances of getting to see an international soccer game (even featuring Martinique and Panama) are much less frequent.

I don't really want to miss the march - and by all means march when the majority want to - but I'm going to the early game.

cheers,

matthew

I'll probably just head to the stadium ... probably aim for about 6:30 pm or so and catch the second half of the Panama-Martinique match.

I'd just take a bus to International District station and walk over, but if there's a gathering in Fado or somewhere near there, I might get off at Pioneer Square station and pop in for a pint.

Don't plan around me though, with the kids to deal with, my plans will always be last-minute. So it will all depend on when I can ditch them all.

But if someone could keep the thread updated on the day, that would be useful!

I don't want to confuse things but I think the consensus among our group of 3 is that we will be taking in both matches.

What if both groups meet up inside the the stadium at the North Entrance (The entrance closest to Downtown) and then we march counterclockwise around the stadium concourse and take our seats in the Northwest corner all in a group?

I feel like for planning purposes it might be useful to divide this up so we can have a Seattle game plan and a Denver game plan, cause I have no idea what is up for Denver yet.

Yes probably a good idea to start separate Seattle and Denver pre-game planning threads. If no one else gets to this I will start them tomorrow. It will be easy enough to move the info from here into a new Seattle thread and nothing has really been set up for Denver yet ... I guess we better get on that.

Archived