Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

2015 USL stats

Player                    GP-GS    Minutes    GA     GaAvg    Saves    SavePct    W    L    T    shut outs
Crepeau, Maxime   11-11     990:00     13       1.18       45       .776         1   6   3      4/0 

Goal.com reporting that there is interest in Crepeau from the 2. Bundesliga, specifically Fortuna Dusseldorf.

http://www.goal.com/en-ca/news/4188/transfer-zone/2016/02/15/20378332/sources-german-clubs-tracking-impacts-cr%C3%A9peau-with-view-to?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I don't know what that would mean in terms of actual minutes for Crepeau, but considering he hasn't played a single MLS game going into his 4th year with the club I wonder how much he would consider leaving the Impact, especially given Bush's strong play in his first year as a starter means he will be in tough to get minutes. An article from last week mentioned that Crepeau wants to be the backup but that the Impact don't think that's a good spot for him. I can see where the Impact are coming from in that he will get more minutes as a third string keeper rather than a backup but it still must be frustrating to know you are not likely to get a start in MLS. 

“I told the club last year that I wanted to be second goalkeeper and I wanted to get minutes with the first team; the message is the same this year,” Crepeau told reporters earlier this week.

“If you tell me he’s going to compete for the number one position, then were talking, but number two is not a goalkeeper. Number two is for a goalie that’s at the end of his career, but Maxime needs to play a lot.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/maxim-crepeau-montreal-impact-mls-major-league-soccer-canada-evan-bush/

Edited by shermanator

As he says, it's clear he needs minutes to develop. If the interest is genuine I am sure he will consider it. Either way it puts pressure on Montreal. 

They must have a vision and plan for his progress and development to break into the first team. If not they really shouldn't be keeping him.

Dusseldorf would be a bad place for him to end up if none of their keepers transfers. They have 2 experienced keepers and 1 young one and all have contracts for next year. The Impact should really try to re-sign Crepeau but loan him out to a higher level league than USL where he could get starts like 3rd or 4th division in Germany or Italy or similar. It doesn't help him to sit on the bench as backup in MLS but I don't think he will get a lot from another year in USL.

3 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Dusseldorf would be a bad place for him to end up if none of their keepers transfers. They have 2 experienced keepers and 1 young one and all have contracts for next year. The Impact should really try to re-sign Crepeau but loan him out to a higher level league than USL where he could get starts like 3rd or 4th division in Germany or Italy or similar. It doesn't help him to sit on the bench as backup in MLS but I don't think he will get a lot from another year in USL.

A weaker League 2 team would probably be the realistic ideal for him.

Edited by Guest

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Piette is making his opinion known about the Impact starting keeper choice next week. It seems the Mauro Biello has confirmed Kronberg will get the start. He seems to think Crepeau should get the start.

Hasn't Biello developed a reputation for starting more Canadians than previous Impact managers?

5 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

Hasn't Biello developed a reputation for starting more Canadians than previous Impact managers?

I don't know if his reputation for starting Canadians has been verbalised or written about much in the English language Canadian press, but I think if you look at the numbers he has given a higher amount of minutes to Canadian players than previous Impact managers.

Edited by Ruffian

1 minute ago, Ruffian said:

I don't know if his reputation for starting Canadians has been verbalised or written about much in the english-Canadian press, but I think if you look at the numbers he has given a higher amount of minutes to Canadian players than previous Impact managers.

Yeah, which is why I thought to give him the benefit of the doubt here. I don't follow the impact closely though, so grain of salt

2 minutes ago, Complete Homer said:

That's really not saying much honestly.

The issue here is different though, it's more about how long Crepeau has been on the Impact first team and the fact he's one of Canada best young keepers, but he hasn't been afforded any playing time with the senior team, which is incredibly important to helping goalkeepers grow their confidence and develop.

3 hours ago, Zem said:

That's really not saying much honestly.

The issue here is different though, it's more about how long Crepeau has been on the Impact first team and the fact he's one of Canada best young keepers, but he hasn't been afforded any playing time with the senior team, which is incredibly important to helping goalkeepers grow their confidence and develop.

This is reminiscent of Toronto's deal, with Bono overtaking Q, and now it being pretty much set in stone Roberts has no future with Toronto.

Yes and no. It is similar to the TFC situation in that a talented young Canadian keeper is not given a chance to start when the first team keeper is unavailable.

I think the difference here is in the keeper who is getting the opportunity instead of the Canadian keeper. Bono was a highly touted first round pick, who is only 5 months older than Roberts, and had also yet to play a game in MLS. Whereas Kronberg is 11 years older than Crepeau and has basically done nothing but sit on the bench for all but a few months in an 11 year MLS career. With the Bono situation, it was a choice between two young inexperienced keepers, and now that Bono has taken his chance and run with it, Roberts is basically done at TFC. Whereas with the Crepeau situation, I don't think the Impact see Kronberg in their long term plans, but Crepeau could still be (assuming he doesn't get pissed and asks to be transferred). To me, Crepeau's situation is less alarming than Bono's.

10 hours ago, Big_M said:

Experience is very important in goal. If the two are at the same level, going with Kronberg is the right decision.

How does one acquire this "experience"? Barely playing over 11 years isn't that much different than barely playing over 4 years, especially seeing as the latter has been playing at FCM.

Biello is treating the backup keeper position as an entry level position in Alberta...

Wanted: Entry Level position, 10-15 years experience, new grads welcome

22 hours ago, Ruffian said:

Piette is making his opinion known about the Impact starting keeper choice next week. It seems the Mauro Biello has confirmed Kronberg will get the start. He seems to think Crepeau should get the start.

Can I have a translation? Google translate isn't the best.

14 minutes ago, canta15 said:

Can I have a translation? Google translate isn't the best.

Brett: What do you think? (QUOTE: "Mauro Biello confirms to media that Eric Kronberg will be the starting keeper in Philadelphia tomorrow.")

Piette (#1): I would choose Crepeau without a second thought. Local product, has proven himself week after week with the reserves.

Piette (#2): Crepeau should have gotten his chance a long time ago. He has little to lose and everything to gain [from getting an opportunity].

I don't get the Crepeau worship either - be hasn't exactly led Montreal FC to glory (I'd argue it's better for a young keeper to be on a bad team though). He's averaging about 3 saves a game and allowing exactly 2 goals a game. A sixty percent save rate is really pretty poor. How has he proven he's ready for the Impact or the Men's national team? 

1 hour ago, BCM1555362349 said:

I don't get the Crepeau worship either - be hasn't exactly led Montreal FC to glory (I'd argue it's better for a young keeper to be on a bad team though). He's averaging about 3 saves a game and allowing exactly 2 goals a game. A sixty percent save rate is really pretty poor. How has he proven he's ready for the Impact or the Men's national team? 

chance quality matters. You'd have to go through the goals and figure how many could be saved

9 minutes ago, Coramoor said:

chance quality matters. You'd have to go through the goals and figure how many could be saved

Of course, there are issues with statistics. His team is awful so I'm guessing there's a lot of open men in the box and attacks with numbers. I certainly don't have the time to go and look. Impact coaches would (and haven't chosen him). But the stats aren't impressive. 

Edited by BCM

Most Impact fans including myself would have preferred to see Crepeau start but Kronberg did play well yesterday. Kronberg has been so so in the backup role but the few times he has gotten more than 1 game in a row he is a better keeper than many give him credit for. He seems to be a good team player as well who accepts his role as backup. On the other hand his salary is a bit high for a backup keeper. Some of the fans are so biased they are claiming he could have stopped the Philly goal which is really ridiculous, it was a perfectly placed shot that was released very quickly and Kronberg only even had a chance to stop it because he is so tall, the shorter Bush and Crepeau never would have gotten to that shot. Still at some time Crepeau needs to be given an opportunity or allowed to go somewhere where he will have an opportunity to play.