Maxime Crépeau

Dub Narcotic

20 yr. old GK, signed with the Montreal Impact at the start of the 2013 season.

Played his minor soccer on Montreal’s South Shore with Celtix du Haut-Richelieu in 2008 and 2009… Was part of the National High Performance Centre between 2007 and 2010… Also played with the provincial and regional selection teams. Signed with the Impact academy in 2010 and has caps at the U-17 and U-20 levels.

So we have 3 young Canadian goalkeepers on MLS Canadian teams now.

All 3 are currently 3rd string keepers, however. But that's no reason to lose heart with it, two of them are quite young, in an age where keepers don't hit their stride as early as outfield players. I don't think we'll see much, if any playing time out of the three, barring injury/V-Cup, or maybe, in the summer, a Euro friendly or something.

It should also be mentioned that Crepeau beat out some pretty tough competition for the 3rd keeper spot in Brad Stuver. Stuver was the Impact's 2nd round pick in the Super Draft and the highest keeper picked this year. He was given some game time in the pre-season while Crepeau was away with Canada. After being cut from the Impact he went to train with Columbus and looks set to sign as their 3rd keeper this year. So a pretty good player and several years older than Crepeau so nice to see the Canadian win the spot.

Crepeau surely cheaper than Stuver? Not to be negative! But I'll be excited about this when Crepeau starts playing (I am thinking of Roberts in Toronto and Sylvestre in Vancouver - who didn't play).

Why would he be cheaper than Stuver? 3rd keepers tend to get close to league minimum wherever they are from. If anything I would think Crepeau would be more expensive. He has been drawing interest from European clubs for several years now and has far higher future career projections than Stuver. By signing with the Impact/MLS he is giving away some flexibility in future club transfers that aren't in the cards for Stuver at the moment.

Why cheaper? Because I want to get you all riled up, obviously, Grizz. Stuver, at his age, is nearer requiring a senior entry level contract. Whereas Crepeau gets them fan support, a younger, cheaper contract (yep, I said it again), and another Canadian.

Both currently now have MLS contracts. The numbers will be released later this season (as they always are) and I expect mocking and boasting from the party which is right. (which will probably be neither as I suspect both will be at the league minimum, and Crepeau is signed because if signing a 3rd keeper, why not make sure of having it be one that fills Canadian Content.

I also expect both will be at the league minimum. It is possible because of his age that the Impact might be able to pay Crepeau a lesser minimum than is allowed for Stuver. I am no expert on the convoluted MLS salary rules. However, of the two the only one that really has other attractive options available to him would be Crepeau, ie. academy options but at attractive European teams. Stuver will accept whatever he is offered because he does not have a lot of other places to go if he wants to start a professional career. Regardless of what each ends up making, I am absolutely certain that salary considerations were not a determining factor in the decision. We are talking about extremely small salary differences if there are any at all for players who will not be taking salary cap spots on the roster. The Impact drafted Stuver to take a look and decided he was not better than Crepeau, it is as simple as that. They did not choose Crepeau to save $10 000.

Not if the player is young and talented considering the potential transfer fees that could result.

That might fly in other leagues, but with all the cap rules in MLS...if it's a signing that doesn't count against the cap, then yes. If it does, then I stand by my initial statement.

At this moment, though, in the MLS, I can't think of many young, talented keepers that were considered 3rd string at any point that ended up moving on for huge transfer fees. And I still don't think the MLS is quite there yet for that, either, in 2013.

That might fly in other leagues, but with all the cap rules in MLS...if it's a signing that doesn't count against the cap, then yes. If it does, then I stand by my initial statement.

At this moment, though, in the MLS, I can't think of many young, talented keepers that were considered 3rd string at any point that ended up moving on for huge transfer fees. And I still don't think the MLS is quite there yet for that, either, in 2013.

Most 3rd string keepers do not count against the cap.

Most 3rd string keepers in MLS are not 18 year old keepers who have already been scouted by several European teams for several years and are starting youth national team players.

Most 3rd string keepers do not count against the cap.

Most 3rd string keepers in MLS are not 18 year old keepers who have already been scouted by several European teams for several years and are starting youth national team players.

I mean we've seen this before though, with our starting national team youth goalies going on and becoming huge names in europe, and getting big transfer values, right? I still maintain there's no need to give them more than the league minimum, and I don't think there's a point to MLS teams, canadian or otherwise, doing so. You aren't going to get some huge transfer sum down the road.

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...