NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

Andre Hainault has signed with 1. FC Magdeburg of the German 3. Liga. Contract until the end of this season. 

http://1.fc-magdeburg.de/saison/aktuelles/1-fc-magdeburg-verpflichtet-andr-hainault/5564/

I think this is a good move for him. Magdeburg is a fairly big club with a great history and strong fanbase. Much bigger club than Aalen who will be playing in the same division this year. 3rd Bundesliga is probably halfway between MLS and NASL level, ie. not as good as MLS but better than NASL. This is a team with potential to promote and he should be a starter so even if they don't promote if he looks good he could transfer. I think this is a better place for him to play than Sweden. Players have to play and better to play on a 3rd division team with ambition than a small 2nd division team always trying not to get relegated.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose Floro might disagree, but my sense is that MLS is a lot better than 5 or 10 years ago. As such, Larin, Akindele, Johnson, Teibert, Osorio, Tissot, etc. should be at the top of our pool. Ten years ago we had DeRo and we all wondered when he'd find his way out of this bush league. Anyone getting playing time in MLS today should be well prepared to play in CONCACAF.

Roger Thompson is on the books of Trelleborg in Division 1 Södra although hasn't played a game this season

He signed there August 11th.  decent move for him, happy to see this one.  Thought he'd get lost in the shuffle in Germany, which he was quickly doing, but Trelleborg could get him exposure to top tier Sweden.  

I suppose Floro might disagree, but my sense is that MLS is a lot better than 5 or 10 years ago. As such, Larin, Akindele, Johnson, Teibert, Osorio, Tissot, etc. should be at the top of our pool. Ten years ago we had DeRo and we all wondered when he'd find his way out of this bush league. Anyone getting playing time in MLS today should be well prepared to play in CONCACAF.

This is true. When i really started paying greater attention to the league in '07 the level of play was noticeably lower than it is today. Probably gone from 3.Liga to B2 in 8 years.

Yes it has improved and no it's nowhere near 2. Bundesliga or Championship level. Cannot compete on salaries whatsoever. Plus it's a very unattractive league to play in, considering you have no say in where you could windup. Clubs can just ship you at will. Why would a player prefer that over having at least a say in Europe? This doesn't go for DP's however (and then sometimes it does, no Gilberto?). 

It is still attractive for south-americans who aren't getting looks from Europe though.

"Whatsoever" is a little harsh. I'm guessing the average salary in MLS is $200-$300k these days. Heavily weighted by the recent DPs, for sure, but there are big contracts in div 2 Germany and England as well.

Apparently at 2014 it was 135 euro, so about 150k average.  Bundesliga II isn't on this list, but this list should give you an idea.  Keep in mind that this was BEFORE MLS changed the salary cap, and BEFORE a tonne of the big name DPs signed, so I think your 200k average is probably getting close.  Good guess, I'd say.  click the link.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2833020/Premier-League-wages-dwarf-Europe-flight-players-England-earning-average-2-3million-year.html

EDIT: Just realized that was pounds, not euros...the conversion actually is 210k/year then.  So 200-300k is a REALLY good guess then.  No Bundesliga II on this list, but I'd guess around 350,000 pounds per year.

2ND EDIT: Researched more, and MLS salary as of Jan 2015 was found to be 226,000 USD per year.  But as of July, it was 286,000 USD per year (or about 183,000 pounds).  So I was correct to assume it was rising, and this is also very close to youllneverwalkalones higher cap.  So again, good guess.

I might have been the only one to miss but Tomori signed a professional contract with Chelsea in July and is a starter with their U21s. Surely this should get us more excited than USL players and MLS benchwarmers, no?

He was singled out for a big performance Aug. 9 vs Liverpool's U21s here:  http://www.chelseafc...-1-chelsea.html

Did we mention he is RB?

In all honesty, has he expressed any interest in Canada? Have we confirmed CSA  contact, even?

EDIT: Did we mention he is RB?

EDIT: Never mind, I see he has been at Chelsea since age 8 - Surely in order of priority it's England, Nigeria, any other country he can manage to find even the loosest affiliation to in his family tree, and then Canada. If we get this guy in a Canada kit it's at age 24 and because he is playing for Scunthorpe, IMO.  Nothing to see here. Move along.

EDIT: Did we mention he is RB?

Archived