NEW Mother of all Canadians Abroad

madmonte

I'm sure it's already been said, but thanks for maintaining this.  It's a lot of work.

Noticed that Jaineil Hoilett is still listed at FC Dallas, but I don't think he is still there, nor with Arizona United.  Scorpion26 posted on this in another thread:

http://www.thevoyageurs.org/index.php?/topic/27652-canadians-in-mls-2015-season/page-9

Lol. Scorpion26 read that in this thread, my post on the previous page.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, I added Koffie and Lefevre and a few notes at the top.  In my opinion, this article by Steven Sandor should be referenced every time someone wants to discuss Koffie, Camilo, etc and their prospects at the national team.  However, as permanent residents who have expressed interest in Canada, I have no problem with it.

http://the11.ca/2013/09/12/camilo-camara-or-felipe-to-the-national-team-according-to-the-feds-citizenship-will-take-a-lot-longer-than-five-years/

For the record, as an update to this article, Mallan Roberts DID get Canadian citizenship this February.  And no, he did not attend any camp for Sierra Leone (yet)

If players like Koffie and Lefevre end up moving to the US abut keeping permanent resident status they can stay on the list.  Whether they are likely to do so, tax reasons, etc should be discussed in the proper thread :)

The Canadian update is such a good one.  It really does make the list complete and useful from my perspective.

Interestingly and this confirms my suspicions:  Of the 196 Canadians playing professionally somewhere in the world (lvl 4 and higher) there are 89 of them in Canada, 15 in the US, 12 in Germany, 10 in the UK and 6 each in Scotland and Finland.  All the other countries total 58.

For further insight the USL has 63 total players, NASL has 22, MLS has 19 players and the next most populous league for Canadians is the various B4 leagues with 9 and then lots of leagues with 2 and 3 players.

So effectively we now have >50% of our total global player pool in Canada or the US.  If we looked at this same stat a few years ago I'm sure that there would be a) less Canadians playing and B) lower domestic concentration of Canadians.

Gershon Koffie played an official U20 match for Ghana in 2011 before having Canadian eligibility. Therefore he can never play for us. This has been stated numerous times by numerous individuals around here.

Right man, off he goes.  Same rules will apply for all though :)

The Canadian update is such a good one.  It really does make the list complete and useful from my perspective.

Interestingly and this confirms my suspicions:  Of the 196 Canadians playing professionally somewhere in the world (lvl 4 and higher) there are 89 of them in Canada, 15 in the US, 12 in Germany, 10 in the UK and 6 each in Scotland and Finland.  All the other countries total 58.

For further insight the USL has 63 total players, NASL has 22, MLS has 19 players and the next most populous league for Canadians is the various B4 leagues with 9 and then lots of leagues with 2 and 3 players.

So effectively we now have >50% of our total global player pool in Canada or the US.  If we looked at this same stat a few years ago I'm sure that there would be a) less Canadians playing and :cool: lower domestic concentration of Canadians.

Right, let us further that and assume that the USL is beneficial, especially in their partnering with MLS, in that it definitely deepens said player pool, including to a higher age limit?  And including players that actually receive paychecks?

So effectively we now have >50% of our total global player pool in Canada or the US.  If we looked at this same stat a few years ago I'm sure that there would be a) less Canadians playing and :cool: lower domestic concentration of Canadians.

Thank you for the stats!!!

Though, I have to point out that the overwhelming majority of Canadian Players in USL are from Canadian MLS clubs, so basically former academy players. It's not like we are dominating the league or something.

In fact, there are only about 4-5 players who are in USL that are not playing on Canadian teams.

That being said, I don't want to take away from what this does for our program, but I felt a smal caveat was necessary. Otherwise the stat is a bit misleading, on first blush.

Looking for updates on 

1) Jerome Smith 

2) Gianlucas Scorzafave

3) Jorge Vacani

4) Daniel Marinho

5) Fernando Aguiar

(Updating countries H-Z)

Are they still with the clubs they are listed with?  If no info can be found these players will be removed. 

I'm asking for these players, and then I'll be asking A-G (including Germany).  Looking to do major update on weekend (which means checking all players current whereabouts), and info on these players in particular will go a long way to helping that cause.

Player update

Felix Clapin-Girard has not been with Colomiers since December, and in fact has moved to Barcelona to train with a soccer school called Fundacion Marcet.  Removing from the list for now.  Also, Alex Comsia plays for Strasbourg II now, changed the list to reflect that...they play in the 6th tier of France, so had to debate removing, but he's more easily trackable than most...as a guy who started for us in 2015 CONCACAF U-20 championship

http://www.info07.com/Sports/Soccer/2014-12-21/article-3986072/Clapin-Girard-tombe-dans-une-mine-dor/1

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_N%27Diaye

Victor N'Diaye is listed as Senalgese on Wikipedia. Not sure about the source or accuracy of that.

He was listed as Canadian before, it's probably some Senegal fan who did that. They do it all the time in the French players who have African backgrounds, even if they are still French nationals.

edit: Althouh checking it out it does apply to him to an extent I suppose because he was born in Senegal and has not yet represented Canada at any level.

He was listed as Canadian before, it's probably some Senegal fan who did that. They do it all the time in the French players who have African backgrounds, even if they are still French nationals.

edit: Althouh checking it out it does apply to him to an extent I suppose because he was born in Senegal and has not yet represented Canada at any level.

Since he was born in Senegal, they would put him as a Senegalese. If Floro called him tomorrow, he would be playing for Canada. I don't think that there is more to that. If wikipedia was around before he got his first Canada call-up, Ali Ngon (Or Gerba for you kids) would be considered as a Cameeroonian footballer not because he played for Cameroon, but because he was born in Cameroon and had never played for another country.

<<<<<

Player update

Felix Clapin-Girard has not been with Colomiers since December, and in fact has moved to Barcelona to train with a soccer school called Fundacion Marcet.  Removing from the list for now.

http://www.info07.com/Sports/Soccer/2014-12-21/article-3986072/Clapin-Girard-tombe-dans-une-mine-dor/1

>>>>>

Oh jeepers, my kid plays against these guys, put him on the list! Okay, not against the first team, but the youth ones. The whole deal is that they train technique, may be the case but I never saw it particularly. Clapin-Girard, by the way, is with the B team, in Spanish 7th tier. Here is the roster of his team: http://www.fcf.cat/pnfg/NPcd/NFG_VisEquipos?cod_primaria=1000119&Codigo_Equipo=15543984

F Marcet has this deal with a team called Tecnofutbol (http://www.cetecnofutbol.com/) who are always bringing in kids from other countries like Russia and Corea, probably against FIFA rules, they pay to be in Barcelona. You see there are no parents watching, just okay quality kids left in the city as teens, their folks sucked in by a team selling the idea of playing in this town, nothing more. The field is one of the worst artificial surfaces around, and the level is just average, they are not stand-out. Their first team is in 5th tier and really they have no fan base, no relation with any neighbourhood, they are a bit mercenary in their thinking. It is pure business and, in Barcelona terms, an exception.

BTW my kid just turned 16 and plays u-19 in Barcelona, but he is a long way from being anything but a kid having fun playing football.

And..more importantly...can he be convinced to play RB?

Hah, right back, all his life playing attacking mid or striker, begging for minutes too, and this year his coach starts him and plays him the whole game at right back.

Team is APA Poble Sec, one of hundreds of neighbourhood clubs, and a newer one. Only player known who came out of it is Ilie Sánchez who was captain of Barcelona B team and is now at Munich 1860, a local kid though, nice. But hey, every club in Europe has a pic on the wall of a clubhouse of someone who made pro, it is pretty normal.

Here, you'll like this, some of his u-19 teammates are in this Audi ad done for Madrid-Barça last fall, partly shot at his club, all the artificial and dirt fields: 

Archived