Is the 8-1 WCQ match Hond vs Can under investigation??

Canada1

I find it highly unlikely that any of our veteran players would give up their last chance at a World Cup for any monetary amount, let alone a fraction of some of their yearly salaries.

"We have evidence for 150 of these cases, and the operations were run out of Singapore with bribes of up to 100,000 euros paid per match,"

I don't know whether to call this "wishful thinking" or not.

I mean, it's possible, and don't ever fool yourself into thinking that Canadians wouldn't do that kind of thing or that this game was too important to be thrown; remember the Merlion Cup. But it does seem pretty unlikely, doesn't it?

Neither of those examples are accurate comparisons. Merlion Cup was a friendly tournament that meant nothing. Lance Armstrong cheated to win, cheating to LOSE is completely different.

Anyways, there is only one, maybe two defenders who had the financial motive, have at least one WC cycle ahead of them and whose play was horrendous that game. Both of whom have relatives who have posted on this site so you might want to tread lightly.

Possible? Yes anything is possible. Likely? No. You wouldn't have to cover a point spread by that much. I mean how much was bet that Honduras would win by more than 4 goals? If you were going to throw a game you wouldn't make it that obvious. That just attracts attention.

Neither of those examples are accurate comparisons. Merlion Cup was a friendly tournament that meant nothing. Lance Armstrong cheated to win, cheating to LOSE is completely different.

Anyways, there is only one, maybe two defenders who had the financial motive, have at least one WC cycle ahead of them and whose play was horrendous that game. Both of whom have relatives who have posted on this site so you might want to tread lightly.

There is nothing in that article to say what it means.

It could have been the women's games.

It could involve the Canadian team but it doesn't mean they had anything to do with it. (ie Bulgarian Ref awhile back, in fact it might even be referring to that given it was public and proven)

It's all very vague so let's be careful what we imply as jpg says above.

I think all the valid arguments have been made as to why the 8-1 game was highly unlikely to have been fixed and not even relevant to the timeline of the article.

Despite the humiliation of such a defeat, some players may feel much more offended by the suggestion they might have lost on purpose. I can't see anything productive about keeping this thread open.

I suggest that this thread be locked.

i think the game most of us thought was fixed was the panama vs honduras match before our final match. ended a 0-0 draw.

If most of us thought that game was fixed it is certainly news to me and probably most others here. 0-0 is pretty reasonable score for a Panama-Honduras game. The result suited Panama a lot more than it did Honduras so I do not see why there would be any agreement to fix the game so Honduras could face elimination if they failed to win their next game. There have been a lot of funny things in CONCACAF WCQ in years gone by that made me question whether things were fixed or refs were paid off but I did not see anything in this WCQ that seemed unfair and for the most part the reffing was good in every game. Indeed the only crappy ref we got was in our home game against our easiest opponent. Even in UEFA qualifying you will probably get one poor ref in 6 games so to get one poor ref in 6 CONCACAF games in the precise game where it would effect the result the least is pretty decent. Yes Occean's red was harsh but it was still a stupid undisciplined action on his part and it is not totally surprising that a Puerto Rican ref would red card that. And that is the only major call I can think of that I can dispute. Not to mention that the draw this time was favourable to us and did not look suspicious like many previous CONCACAF draws. This was the one WCQ in CONCACAF that seemed fair and above board in pretty much every way. There is nothing in our two rounds of WCQ this time around that seemed fixed or questionable. We were full measure for getting eliminated on our own merit or lack of it.

There was a pretty solid lack of goal interest in the opposition third from both sides in that Panama/Honduras game, but I'd call that more logical tactics (considering both teams correctly assumed they'd advanced based on getting a result from the next match) than fixing.

There was a pretty solid lack of goal interest in the opposition third from both sides in that Panama/Honduras game, but I'd call that more logical tactics (considering both teams correctly assumed they'd advanced based on getting a result from the next match) than fixing.

Even that is not true. A tie would put Panama through barring us scoring a very high number of goals against Cuba so they played more not to lose than to win. A tie was not very good for Honduras at all because tie or lose they faced the same task of beating us as opposed to only needing a tie if they won (depending on goal differential). There is no way Honduras would agree with Panama to a tie when it did not help them and made their last game very risky. And I am pretty sure they were not betting their whole WCQ campaign on an assumption that they could automatically beat us at home.

I watched that game and Honduras attacked while Panama played conservatively. Honduras had a number of excellent scoring chances which they just missed or were well saved. This was not a game of two teams playing for 0-0.

Archived