Josh Simpson recovering

TT5

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

According to this Swiss forum, Simpson is no longer part of the official first team, although it sounds by the translation that he still has a contract while he continues his rehabilitation:

http://www.1898.ch/forum/showentry.php?sNo=981001

His father and other relatives used to post here quite frequently; I wish we had some inside news and, more than that, I wish we still were watching him play for club and country.

One of our best players from this generation is completely lost, it's defenetly sad. And his skill has been greatly missed in the midfield for our MNT. I would imagine at this point though it's probably more the mental with him than the phyiscal. Comming back from an injury like that must play huge on the mind. I ruptured my ACL 5 years ago playing soccer (when I was 20), and only started playing again a couple years ago (while still injured). I couldn't ever play at the same intensety and it was always in the back of my mind. Now I am recovering from ACL reconstruction and I know even when I'm all better and my leg it strong again it will still always be in the back of my mind and it will never be the same. I would imagine it is the same for Josh. 

For a while he was our second most important player behind Hutchinson. My favorite performance was his showing during the Ukraine friendly. Hutchinson's goal was provided by a beautiful turn by Simpson to elude pressure before unleashing a decisive through-ball to feed Atiba. 

He was so deadly on the flanks with his speed, but had so much more in his tool box.

For a while he was our second most important player behind Hutchinson. My favorite performance was his showing during the Ukraine friendly. Hutchinson's goal was provided by a beautiful turn by Simpson to elude pressure before unleashing a decisive through-ball to feed Atiba. 

He was so deadly on the flanks with his speed, but had so much more in his tool box

That was my first MNT game live,  I feel very lucky I saw Simpson play. 

• 8 months later...

He was such a good player with attacking flair. Something we sorely lack. What a terrible injury to end his career. It was right before we started 2014 wcq as well.

Life goes on though, and he is healthy and beginning a new chapter. All the best Josh, thanks for memories.

He was such a good player with attacking flair. Something we sorely lack. What a terrible injury to end his career. It was right before we started 2014 wcq as well.

Life goes on though, and he is healthy and beginning a new chapter. All the best Josh, thanks for memories.

I believe it was the last game of the season too for Young Boys.  Sad to think of what could have been for Josh and us as well.  

He was a great player and I've seen a lot of people post that he didn't get the credit he deserved but that is completely false.  Josh was regarded on these boards as the second best player behind Hutchinson on the CMNT and was always up there in V player of the year voting.  His form for the MNT really took off when he moved to Manisaspor in 2009-2010.  

My favourite Josh Simpson related anecdote:

In 2012 I was travelling in Turkey, out at a bar in Istanbul. Sat down next to a middle aged Turkish dude, who didn't speak a word of English, but in typical Turkish fashion insisted on trying to start some sort of a conversation anyways. When I told him I was from Canada, he paused for second looking pensive, turned to his buddy beside him, said something in Turkish, and with a good deal of excitement they both turned back to me and started repeating "Josh Simpson, Josh Simpson, Manisaspor, Josh Simpson, Manisaspor!"

Josh Simpson, scores goals and breaks down cultural barriers.

Great player. Will be remembered by CMNT fans. Turkish ones too apparently. Good luck to him.

Josh has officially hung 'em up. Will stay in Bern and is going to school.

http://www.derbund.ch/sport/fussball/Den-langen-Kampf-verloren/story/25049180

Wow. Sad day. 4 major and 6+ minor surgeries. It was a long shot but worth taking. Here's hoping the rest of his life goes a whole lot better. 

44 appearances for Canada and thank you for every one of them. 

Such a shame to hear this news.  

His overall game really improved over the years, where he was able to harness his skill, athletic ability/pace into a serious and consistent offensive threat at club and international level.  His absence from the last WCQ was massive.

I wish him all the very best in his future ventures.

Archived